Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Britain moves even further towards control of all people, all activities

Britain moves even further towards control of all people, all activities

JeffWorsnop

On Wednesday, 23 May 2012 15:42:53 UTC+1, PeterN wrote:
> On 5/22/2012 7:38 PM, MC wrote:
> > RichA wrote:
> >

> > http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...-update-friday
> >
> > It is technically private property so the "owners" can dictate what
> > they like. It is the same with any privately owned properties,
> > shopping malls, restaurants, office blocks, other public transport
> > buildings. They can all make whatever rules they like with regards
> > photography and quite often do, whereever you may be in the world.
> > However, this does not mean these countries are moving towards further
> > "control" because it has always been the same and these
> > companies/property owners are just being idiots.

> Many times there is good reason. Why did Kodak ban photography on it's
> factory tours.
>

> > You sensationalise too much.
> >

> The poor soul s bored.
>

> --
> Peter

It's actually private property rather than technically private. The owners have the same rights to control photography on their property that you have on yours.

JeffWorsnop

On Tuesday, 29 May 2012 20:50:14 UTC+1, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
> On Sun, 27 May 2012 16:54:03 -0400, PeterN
>
> wrote:
>
> >I guess that means any of us can go to your house and photograph
> >whatever we want, at any time of the day or night.

> From the pavement, certainly. Welcome. Fecking Google did it without
> any permission, as none is needed.

Quite

On Tuesday, 29 May 2012 20:50:14 UTC+1, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
> On Sun, 27 May 2012 16:54:03 -0400, PeterN
>
> wrote:
>
> >I guess that means any of us can go to your house and photograph
> >whatever we want, at any time of the day or night.

> From the pavement, certainly. Welcome. Fecking Google did it without
> any permission, as none is needed.

Quite so. The public highway is not private land. You can, of course, photograph what you like from the highway.

PeterN

On 6/1/2012 3:28 PM, JeffWorsnop wrote:
> On Tuesday, 29 May 2012 20:50:14 UTC+1, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 May 2012 16:54:03 -0400, PeterN
>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I guess that means any of us can go to your house and photograph
>>> whatever we want, at any time of the day or night.

>> From the pavement, certainly. Welcome. Fecking Google did it without
>> any permission, as none is needed.

> Quite
>
> On Tuesday, 29 May 2012 20:50:14 UTC+1, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 May 2012 16:54:03 -0400, PeterN
>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I guess that means any of us can go to your house and photograph
>>> whatever we want, at any time of the day or night.

>> From the pavement, certainly. Welcome. Fecking Google did it without
>> any permission, as none is needed.

> Quite so. The public highway is not private land. You can, of course, photograph what you like from the highway.

Which was my pint.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 6/1/2012 3:43 PM, Mxsmanic wrote:
> JeffWorsnop writes:
>
>> Quite so. The public highway is not private land. You can, of
>> course, photograph what you like from the highway.

> Just to complicate things, sometimes the public highway is an easement onto
> private property. But you can still photograph what you want from it.

Not in all jurisdictions. In some States, including NY, an easement may
be granted for a limited purpose. An access easement might not allow an
individual to stop and take photographs of my house.

--
Peter

Martin Brown

On 01/06/2012 20:28, JeffWorsnop wrote:
> On Tuesday, 29 May 2012 20:50:14 UTC+1, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 May 2012 16:54:03 -0400, PeterN
>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I guess that means any of us can go to your house and photograph
>>> whatever we want, at any time of the day or night.

>> From the pavement, certainly. Welcome. Fecking Google did it without
>> any permission, as none is needed.

> Quite

Pavement as in American usage for public road - yes. But in UK usage
pavement is sidewalk and it is not uncommon to have brass studs in it
demarking the boundary of privately owned land. Stand provably on the
wrong side of it to take a commercially valuable image and expect all
hell to break out if the landowner is sufficiently rich and litigious.
And most that bother to put brass studs into the pavement are.

> On Tuesday, 29 May 2012 20:50:14 UTC+1, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 May 2012 16:54:03 -0400, PeterN
>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I guess that means any of us can go to your house and photograph
>>> whatever we want, at any time of the day or night.

>> From the pavement, certainly. Welcome. Fecking Google did it without
>> any permission, as none is needed.

> Quite so. The public highway is not private land. You can, of course, photograph what you like from the highway.

There are still some private and unadopted roads still in the UK where
this is not the case. They are not public highways but privately owned.
The new BBC centre in Salford is one such newly created zone.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown