Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > TV problems

TV problems

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Geopelia wrote:
> The TV man has put the TV back together and it's working as well as
> ever - touch wood.
> The chip is TDA2177 or something near that. The sparking had affected
> it.
> He will come and install a new TV if the firm I buy one from doesn't
> have their own installer.
> So we will hang on and see what happens with this one for now.
>
> Hubby is delighted it's back, he was lost without it. Now we can
> watch the Rugby!
>
> Thanks to all.
> Geopelia

I'm really pleased to hear that you have the TV back and Hubby is happy.

I know that it's rather common to talk about these things but if you will
indulge me Geo, can I ask how much it cost you to get the TV fixed?

Thanks,
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

JohnO

On Jun 7, 8:42*pm, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
>

> > On Jun 7, 1:05 pm, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [snip]
> >> Sadly the days of appliances that last for 20+ years are long gone.
> >> Sometime
> >> before you bought that last set pretty much every company world-wide
> >> started
> >> designing a planned life-span into their products. With the cheapest
> >> brands
> >> it's usually not much longer than the warranty period. If you pay a
> >> bit (or
> >> a lot) more you might get two to five years on top of the warranty
> >> period
> >> before they fail. It's actually quite easy for the companies to do
> >> this and
> >> do it they do!

> > Quite so.

> > However the Hyundai SD 42" plasma that I purchased back in 2006 is,
> > much to my annoyance, still going strong!

> Heh! It's not often you hear of folks complaining because their appliances
> *haven't* broken down.
>
> > With TVs, the technology has advanced so quickly, that it actually
> > doesn't matter if they only last 5 years. My 5 year old TV is now
> > totally obsolete - SD only, and no digital tuner!

> Yep, as I said further down in my post to Geopelia both PCs and TVs seem to
> have now reached a plateau where an average PC of today's specs will do
> anything most people could want in the foreseeable future and, with TVs
> (other than 3D <barf>) a good 32" or better 1080p LCD LED TV (Samsung 5
> Series being my pick) with freeview tuner should last many years as far as
> technological advances go.
>
> As said, I feel that we've reached a plateau now and, as long as you've got
> the above specs or better I don't think you'll be busting to upgrade anytime
> in the near future.
>
> As usual, all in my opinion only.

The problem I see with this is the software. It keeps demanding more
and more. So Lotus123 still runs fine on a 286 ... but it doesn't do
what people (think) they need anymore.

> --
> Shaun.
>
> "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
> cozy little classification in the DSM."
> David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Bret

On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 12:12:11 +1200, geoff wrote:

> JohnO wrote:
>> On Jun 7, 8:42 pm, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> As usual, all in my opinion only.

>> The problem I see with this is the software. It keeps demanding more
>> and more. So Lotus123 still runs fine on a 286 ... but it doesn't do
>> what people (think) they need anymore.

> No, misfart is right. Progress and innovation should be deliberated slowed
> down, so as to not disturb those of us that have trouble (or just don't want
> to) keeping abreast.
>
> geoff

Oh dear, a fanboi LOL.

Gordon

On 2012-06-08, geoff <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Geopelia wrote:
>> The TV man has put the TV back together and it's working as well as
>> ever - touch wood.
>> The chip is TDA2177 or something near that. The sparking had affected
>> it.
>> He will come and install a new TV if the firm I buy one from doesn't
>> have their own installer.
>> So we will hang on and see what happens with this one for now.
>>
>> Hubby is delighted it's back, he was lost without it. Now we can
>> watch the Rugby!
>>
>> Thanks to all.
>> Geopelia

> Nice to find a repairer who could be bothered fix it, and presumably at a
> reasonable cost.

In to-days "green" world, is it not worth a second opinion. Maybe it can be
fixed for a reasonable cost.

Gordon

On 2012-06-08, JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jun 7, 8:42*pm, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> Yep, as I said further down in my post to Geopelia both PCs and TVs seem to
>> have now reached a plateau where an average PC of today's specs will do
>> anything most people could want in the foreseeable future and, with TVs
>> (other than 3D <barf>) a good 32" or better 1080p LCD LED TV (Samsung 5
>> Series being my pick) with freeview tuner should last many years as far as
>> technological advances go.
>>
>> As said, I feel that we've reached a plateau now and, as long as you've got
>> the above specs or better I don't think you'll be busting to upgrade anytime
>> in the near future.
>>
>> As usual, all in my opinion only.

> The problem I see with this is the software. It keeps demanding more
> and more. So Lotus123 still runs fine on a 286 ... but it doesn't do
> what people (think) they need anymore.

So you have some working 286 hardware which you use every day?

Now, back to the real world gentle people.

Bret

On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 14:09:24 +1200, geoff wrote:

> Bret wrote:

>>> No, misfart is right. Progress and innovation should be deliberated
>>> slowed down, so as to not disturb those of us that have trouble (or
>>> just don't want to) keeping abreast.
>>>
>>> geoff

>> Oh dear, a fanboi LOL.

> Humour and sarcasm is apparently lost on some people ....
>
> geoff

It was the personal insult that threw me

Enkidu

On 08/06/12 20:55, JohnO wrote:

> The problem I see with this is the software. It keeps demanding more
> and more. So Lotus123 still runs fine on a 286 ... but it doesn't do
> what people (think) they need anymore.

What is "Lotus123". It sounds like a Gmail account or a twitter user.
What is a 286?

Cheers,

Cliff

Enkidu

On 10/06/12 16:40, Kiwi wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 12:03:44 +1200, Enkidu
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 08/06/12 20:55, JohnO wrote:
>>>
>>> The problem I see with this is the software. It keeps demanding more
>>> and more. So Lotus123 still runs fine on a 286 ... but it doesn't do
>>> what people (think) they need anymore.
>>>

>> What is "Lotus123". It sounds like a Gmail account or a twitter user.
>> What is a 286?

> Lotus123 was the spreadsheet s/w that came after VisiCalc.
>
> I used it a few times in the early years.

I was joking.

Cheers,

Cliff

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bret wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 14:09:24 +1200, geoff wrote:
>
>> Bret wrote:

>>> Oh dear, a fanboi LOL.

>> Humour and sarcasm is apparently lost on some people ....
>>
>> geoff

> It was the personal insult that threw me

Ditto.