Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Dell 2007Fpb

Dell 2007Fpb

~misfit~

I see that RCN have these again, at $99 +GST - but you didn't hear it from
me. Last time I posted here about them having these awesome monitors
apparently they got flooded with requests from folks and they are in fact
wholesale only (but if you're nice and/or can convince them you're in
business....) and they asked a couple of folks how they heard of them.

Anyway, just a quick word to the wise. However please don't mention me, I
was berated last time and nearly lost my account with them. It's just lucky
that I was mates with the floor-managers Father and opened his first
computer, an Amiga, when he was in his early teens and fixed it for him.
That gave him 'the bug' and he ended up in the biz.

If you don't know about these monitors try Google. Last time I checked Dell
were *still* selling these as they are still in demand, especially from
folks working with photographic apps - as (most) cameras are 4:3 and so are
these monitors.

Also, TTBOMK *all* 2007Fpbs that came into NZ were the S-IPS variant (but
don't kill me if I'm wrong). The 'tell' is the serial number. If it ends in
'L' (for LG-Philips) it's S-IPS but if it ends in 'S' (for Samsung) it's an
S-PVA display.

The S-PVA displays are pretty good but the S-IPS displays are bloody
brilliant.

Just FYI.....
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Gib Bogle

On 29/05/2012 12:51 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
> I see that RCN have these again, at $99 +GST - but you didn't hear it from
> me. Last time I posted here about them having these awesome monitors
> apparently they got flooded with requests from folks and they are in fact
> wholesale only (but if you're nice and/or can convince them you're in
> business....) and they asked a couple of folks how they heard of them.
>
> Anyway, just a quick word to the wise. However please don't mention me, I
> was berated last time and nearly lost my account with them. It's just lucky
> that I was mates with the floor-managers Father and opened his first
> computer, an Amiga, when he was in his early teens and fixed it for him.
> That gave him 'the bug' and he ended up in the biz.
>
> If you don't know about these monitors try Google. Last time I checked Dell
> were *still* selling these as they are still in demand, especially from
> folks working with photographic apps - as (most) cameras are 4:3 and so are
> these monitors.
>
> Also, TTBOMK *all* 2007Fpbs that came into NZ were the S-IPS variant (but
> don't kill me if I'm wrong). The 'tell' is the serial number. If it ends in
> 'L' (for LG-Philips) it's S-IPS but if it ends in 'S' (for Samsung) it's an
> S-PVA display.
>
> The S-PVA displays are pretty good but the S-IPS displays are bloody
> brilliant.
>
> Just FYI.....

US Dell has these going for $429. Can this be the same monitor?

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=320-4687

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:
> On 29/05/2012 12:51 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
>> I see that RCN have these again, at $99 +GST - but you didn't hear
>> it from me. Last time I posted here about them having these awesome
>> monitors apparently they got flooded with requests from folks and
>> they are in fact wholesale only (but if you're nice and/or can
>> convince them you're in business....) and they asked a couple of
>> folks how they heard of them. Anyway, just a quick word to the wise.
>> However please don't mention
>> me, I was berated last time and nearly lost my account with them.
>> It's just lucky that I was mates with the floor-managers Father and
>> opened his first computer, an Amiga, when he was in his early teens
>> and fixed it for him. That gave him 'the bug' and he ended up in the
>> biz. If you don't know about these monitors try Google. Last time I
>> checked Dell were *still* selling these as they are still in demand,
>> especially from folks working with photographic apps - as (most)
>> cameras are 4:3 and so are these monitors.
>>
>> Also, TTBOMK *all* 2007Fpbs that came into NZ were the S-IPS variant
>> (but don't kill me if I'm wrong). The 'tell' is the serial number.
>> If it ends in 'L' (for LG-Philips) it's S-IPS but if it ends in 'S'
>> (for Samsung) it's an S-PVA display.
>>
>> The S-PVA displays are pretty good but the S-IPS displays are bloody
>> brilliant.
>>
>> Just FYI.....

> US Dell has these going for $429. Can this be the same monitor?
>
> http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=320-4687

Yeah, why do you think I posted about them here? They were NZ$1,250 in NZ
when new in 2007[1] and are Dell's longest-running model ever. I have one on
my desk and one in the back room as a spare they're that good. You want to
see what TV *can* look like? It has an RCA composite input. (Although I
suppose that it's possible to get colours that natural and intense from
these newer generation TVs now?)

The good thing about getting them from RCN is you could ask to get one with
a serial that ends in 'L' (although, as mentioned I think that all that were
sold in NZ were 'L', or S-IPS) and get the good one. I picked both of mine
up. If you buy from Dell you could get either. (Google "The Dell Lottery".)

[1] I read a review of the monitor in 2007 in a magazine - they'd got an IPS
one - and fantacised about maybe owning something that good one day. (Don't
forget the price then!) I couldn't believe my luck when RCN first had them
in - and I got two that were not only IPS but were less than 12 months old.
--

On 29/05/2012 4:24 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:

>> US Dell has these going for $429. Can this be the same monitor?
>>
>> http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=320-4687

> Yeah, why do you think I posted about them here? They were NZ$1,250 in NZ
> when new in 2007[1] and are Dell's longest-running model ever. I have one on
> my desk and one in the back room as a spare they're that good. You want to
> see what TV *can* look like? It has an RCA composite input. (Although I
> suppose that it's possible to get colours that natural and intense from
> these newer generation TVs now?)
>
> The good thing about getting them from RCN is you could ask to get one with
> a serial that ends in 'L' (although, as mentioned I think that all that were
> sold in NZ were 'L', or S-IPS) and get the good one. I picked both of mine
> up. If you buy from Dell you could get either. (Google "The Dell Lottery".)
>
> [1] I read a review of the monitor in 2007 in a magazine - they'd got an IPS
> one - and fantacised about maybe owning something that good one day. (Don't
> forget the price then!) I couldn't believe my luck when RCN first had them
> in - and I got two that were not only IPS but were less than 12 months old.

Amazing. Now I just need to know how to buy from RCN (I'd never heard
of them before).

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:
> On 29/05/2012 4:24 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>>> US Dell has these going for $429. Can this be the same monitor?
>>>
>>> http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=320-4687

>> Yeah, why do you think I posted about them here? They were NZ$1,250
>> in NZ when new in 2007[1] and are Dell's longest-running model ever.
>> I have one on my desk and one in the back room as a spare they're
>> that good. You want to see what TV *can* look like? It has an RCA
>> composite input. (Although I suppose that it's possible to get
>> colours that natural and intense from these newer generation TVs
>> now?) The good thing about getting them from RCN is you could ask to get
>> one with a serial that ends in 'L' (although, as mentioned I think
>> that all that were sold in NZ were 'L', or S-IPS) and get the good
>> one. I picked both of mine up. If you buy from Dell you could get
>> either. (Google "The Dell Lottery".) [1] I read a review of the monitor
>> in 2007 in a magazine - they'd
>> got an IPS one - and fantacised about maybe owning something that
>> good one day. (Don't forget the price then!) I couldn't believe my
>> luck when RCN first had them in - and I got two that were not only
>> IPS but were less than 12 months old.

> Amazing. Now I just need to know how to buy from RCN (I'd never heard
> of them before).

Go to their website and open an account? Just a thought.
--

On 30/05/2012 11:57 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:

>>> Yeah, why do you think I posted about them here? They were NZ$1,250
>>> in NZ when new in 2007[1] and are Dell's longest-running model ever.
>>> I have one on my desk and one in the back room as a spare they're
>>> that good. You want to see what TV *can* look like? It has an RCA
>>> composite input. (Although I suppose that it's possible to get
>>> colours that natural and intense from these newer generation TVs
>>> now?) The good thing about getting them from RCN is you could ask to get
>>> one with a serial that ends in 'L' (although, as mentioned I think
>>> that all that were sold in NZ were 'L', or S-IPS) and get the good
>>> one. I picked both of mine up. If you buy from Dell you could get
>>> either. (Google "The Dell Lottery".) [1] I read a review of the monitor
>>> in 2007 in a magazine - they'd
>>> got an IPS one - and fantacised about maybe owning something that
>>> good one day. (Don't forget the price then!) I couldn't believe my
>>> luck when RCN first had them in - and I got two that were not only
>>> IPS but were less than 12 months old.

>> Amazing. Now I just need to know how to buy from RCN (I'd never heard
>> of them before).

> Go to their website and open an account? Just a thought.

Very amusing. Their site doesn't provide much helpful info. For
example, there is no mention of "account" anywhere. It is not possible
to register (assuming this means opening an account) - "Registration is
closed Sorry, you are not allowed to register by yourself on this site!
You must either be invited by one of our team member or request an
invitation by email at sales {at} rcn {dot} co {dot} nz."
Is this what you did?

I looked for some mention of "Dell monitor", but only found some sales
flyers, the latest 11 April, with some good buys but no 2007Fpb.

Any tips?

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:
> On 30/05/2012 11:57 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:

>>> Amazing. Now I just need to know how to buy from RCN (I'd never
>>> heard of them before).

>> Go to their website and open an account? Just a thought.

> Very amusing. Their site doesn't provide much helpful info. For
> example, there is no mention of "account" anywhere.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be funny. I didn't know that.

> It is not
> possible to register (assuming this means opening an account) -
> "Registration is closed Sorry, you are not allowed to register by
> yourself on this site! You must either be invited by one of our team
> member or request an invitation by email at sales {at} rcn {dot} co
> {dot} nz." Is this what you did?

As I mentioned, I know the floor manager personally (and have for 20+ years)
and he set me up with an account when we 're-connected' about six years ago.

I would suggest that you email and request, as you mention. I don't see that
as my cookies log me in.

> I looked for some mention of "Dell monitor", but only found some sales
> flyers, the latest 11 April, with some good buys but no 2007Fpb.

Ahh, OK. IIRC you only get to see stock after you log in, when you're
registered. I'm not sure how folks from here managed to buy monitors last
time but think perhaps that there have been changes to the web-site since
then, probably because of quite a few 'members of the public' emailing or
phoning enquiring about the monitors.

(I know that several people got them last time as I've been the recipient of
favours on occasion and when I've said "I owe you one" I've been told I
don't as they got one or two of those Dell monitors.)
--

On 30/05/2012 5:14 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
>>> Go to their website and open an account? Just a thought.

>> Very amusing. Their site doesn't provide much helpful info. For
>> example, there is no mention of "account" anywhere.

> Sorry, I wasn't trying to be funny. I didn't know that.
>
>> It is not
>> possible to register (assuming this means opening an account) -
>> "Registration is closed Sorry, you are not allowed to register by
>> yourself on this site! You must either be invited by one of our team
>> member or request an invitation by email at sales {at} rcn {dot} co
>> {dot} nz." Is this what you did?

> As I mentioned, I know the floor manager personally (and have for 20+ years)
> and he set me up with an account when we 're-connected' about six years ago.
>
> I would suggest that you email and request, as you mention. I don't see that
> as my cookies log me in.
>
>> I looked for some mention of "Dell monitor", but only found some sales
>> flyers, the latest 11 April, with some good buys but no 2007Fpb.

> Ahh, OK. IIRC you only get to see stock after you log in, when you're
> registered. I'm not sure how folks from here managed to buy monitors last
> time but think perhaps that there have been changes to the web-site since
> then, probably because of quite a few 'members of the public' emailing or
> phoning enquiring about the monitors.
>
> (I know that several people got them last time as I've been the recipient of
> favours on occasion and when I've said "I owe you one" I've been told I
> don't as they got one or two of those Dell monitors.)

Thanks for all that explanation. Will give it a shot.

Cheers
Gib

AD.

On May 30, 9:26*am, Gib Bogle <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Amazing. *Now I just need to know how to buy from RCN (I'd never heard
> of them before).

I can vouch for the monitors - I've got two of them on my machine at
work

One in landscape mode and one in portrait mode.

They don't tend to make monitors like they used to.

--
Cheers
Anton

Richard

On 5/31/2012 11:20 PM, ~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs AD. wrote:
>> On May 30, 9:26 am, Gib Bogle<(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>> Amazing. Now I just need to know how to buy from RCN (I'd never heard
>>> of them before).

>> I can vouch for the monitors - I've got two of them on my machine at
>> work
>>
>> One in landscape mode and one in portrait mode.

> Nice set-up. I got lucky and scored two brand-new, still in the
> plastic 'SoundBar's for my two from Trademe. $5 reserve auctions, same guy.
> I got one of them for the $5 but had to go up to $6.50 for the other.
> Not too.bad, combined the shipping, was only $5.50 for both.
>
>> They don't tend to make monitors like they used to.

> Ain't that the truth? These are a pleasure to use, that's for sure.

Im probably going to get one of those 27" QHD ones off ebay from korea
once I have room on my card next month.

But at $99 a pop the dells seem to be the business. Anyone know how easy
it is to buy from RCN? I have a company that actually does need to buy
some computers in its name shortly, so no problems if they will only
sell to GST registered businesses, but do they care if you are in the IT
game at all?