Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > List prices

List prices

JohnO

On Jun 5, 12:01*pm, bugalugs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 5/06/2012 10:06 a.m., JohnO wrote:

> >> It is. That's why RRP is RECOMMENDED RETRetail Price and MSRP is Maximum
> >> SUGGESTED Retail Price. *It's a guidline.

> > Not if you make it the list price. The retailer is obliged to sell at
> > that price under fair trading laws. Advertising sale prices against
> > list prices that are not genuine is illegal.

> >> You want no guidelines ? Fine.

> > As I said, if the retailer prints the MRP or RRP as their list price
> > they are *required* to be genuine.

> >> geoff

> But who is the "they" who sets the RRP or MSRP. What authority do they
> have over the control of prices and is that price the price over the
> whole country, one district or one retail chain.

Quite. MRP or RRP would come from the supplier. The retailer can
ignore that and just show their own 'list price'.

> --
> Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Squiggle

On 1/06/2012 4:59 p.m., JohnO threw some characters down the intarwebs:
> On Jun 1, 12:16 pm, Frank Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Thu, 31 May 2012 14:57:09 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> Why? It should be up to the retailer to decide how much margin they
>>> want out of each item.

>> That's the problem in New Zealand why things costs some 5 times the

> REALLY? Let's have an example of something that costs 5 times more in
> NZ than the US then.

Funnily enough I priced up a bunch of small toyota parts today for a car
I'm doing a minor restoration job on.
Snap ring NZ$10, US$0.86
Gasket NZ$27, US$5.77
Shifter bushing NZ$55, US$13.53
and about 6 other small parts, all of them at least 3 times more
expensive in NZ than in the US. Working in Queensland next week so just
waiting to get prices back from the dealer 600m down the road from the
motel I'll be staying at to see how much cheaper they are over there.

I could buy 10 of each of these parts and still fit the lot in a
postshop bubble-wrap type envelope, so cost of freight isn't a
significant factor, just lack of competition and the NZ market premium
pricing.

bugalugs

On 5/06/2012 11:04 p.m., geoff wrote:
> bugalugs wrote:
>

> .>
>> But who is the "they" who sets the RRP or MSRP. What authority do they
>> have over the control of prices and is that price the price over the
>> whole country, one district or one retail chain.

> 'They' are the importer/distributor.
>
> They have no authority over the retailer, which is why they 'Recommend' or
> 'Suggest'. Jeeze, this ain't complicated !

So RRP is a price "someone" has plucked out of the air and the
salesperson can sell at that ....or not. So what is the point of having
a RRP.

> What the importers/distributors DO have control over is who they want to
> sell to.
>
> geoff

Bruce Sinclair

In article <jqe2gg$2al$(E-Mail Removed)>, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 1/06/2012 11:17 a.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>
>> Interestingly, many/most don't display a RRP ... just a "normally" ?
>>

>Doesn't a RRP fall foul of the price fixing legislation?

No idea.
Books certainly used to have prices on the back that looked something like
NZ $15-99; AUS $11-99. That looked like a RRP to me.

Is it legal ? No idea.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <jqet16$2so$(E-Mail Removed)>, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 3/06/2012 11:38 a.m., Enkidu wrote:

>>> Doesn't a RRP fall foul of the price fixing legislation?
>> >

>> No, you can RRP what you like and adjust it as you see fit. RRP means
>> "ask me for a discount".

>I was more meaning a manufacturer/distributor mandated RRP.

Think they can recommend ... but you don't have to comply ?