Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > List prices

List prices

William Brown

I have noticed that Harvey Norman seems to have very high list prices
than other shops, seems like they are quoting old list prices.

I was after a laptop and noticed the DSE had a far lower list price of
a DV6-6C39TX on Saturday DSE is listing it at $1699 where HN its some
$2258, the cheaper DV6-6C38TX is being sold at HN Porirua for some $1499
from a list price of $1799, only has a 750Gb HD and no Blu-Ray writer
only a reader.

But the DV6-6C39TX at DSE was on special at DSE on Saturday at $1444.20
but for some reason never got a email from DSE about there XXXL sale, I
do on other sales, special offers.

What I like about this Laptop nice HD 1920 x 1080 none reflective
screen.

The only thing that lets it done is bad support for the AMD HD 7690M TX
GPU, only has very old drivers AMD has no support for this GPU.

Some 47 Pages of complaints on the HP forum regarding this GPU.

Gordon

On 2012-05-26, William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have noticed that Harvey Norman seems to have very high list prices
> than other shops, seems like they are quoting old list prices.

Go Harvey, as the ad says.

Meanwhile, back at at the wallet. Might go some where else first, second
etc.

[snip]

So do let us know which you buy Roger, Will I am, or Frank.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>William Brown wrote:
>> I have noticed that Harvey Norman seems to have very high list prices
>> than other shops, seems like they are quoting old list prices.

>List Price is probably the same as the RRP from the distributor (you can
>check it on some importer/distributor websites).
>
>Different shops have different 'shelf prices'.

The cynical among us might say that the higher your list price, the better
your "sale discount" looks.

Stephen Worthington

On Mon, 28 May 2012 23:05:10 GMT,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Bruce Sinclair)
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>William Brown wrote:
>>> I have noticed that Harvey Norman seems to have very high list prices
>>> than other shops, seems like they are quoting old list prices.

>>List Price is probably the same as the RRP from the distributor (you can
>>check it on some importer/distributor websites).
>>
>>Different shops have different 'shelf prices'.

>The cynical among us might say that the higher your list price, the better
>your "sale discount" looks.

But if you do that, the Commerce Commission will prosecute you now.
Sale prices must be discounted from the real shelf prices you were
using before the sale.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Stephen Worthington <(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
>On Mon, 28 May 2012 23:05:10 GMT,
>(E-Mail Removed) nz (Bruce Sinclair)
>wrote:
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "geoff"

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>List Price is probably the same as the RRP from the distributor (you can
>>>check it on some importer/distributor websites).
>>>
>>>Different shops have different 'shelf prices'.

>>The cynical among us might say that the higher your list price, the better
>>your "sale discount" looks.

>But if you do that, the Commerce Commission will prosecute you now.
>Sale prices must be discounted from the real shelf prices you were
>using before the sale.

... and *that's* the reason why I might want really high shelf prices in my
shop and to have sales all the time.

JohnO

On May 29, 5:16*pm, Stephen Worthington
<(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 May 2012 23:05:10 GMT,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Bruce Sinclair)
> wrote:

> >>List Price is probably the same as the RRP from the distributor (you can
> >>check it on some importer/distributor websites).

> >>Different shops have different 'shelf prices'.

> >The cynical among us might say that the higher your list price, the better
> >your "sale discount" looks.

> But if you do that, the Commerce Commission will prosecute you now.
> Sale prices must be discounted from the real shelf prices you were
> using before the sale.

You're both right. They can get away with it as long as they have it
at list price most of the time. I suspect they only rarely sell
anything expensive other than on sale days.

Frank Williams

On Tue, 29 May 2012 17:14:18 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On May 29, 5:16*pm, Stephen Worthington
><(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 May 2012 23:05:10 GMT,
>> (E-Mail Removed) (Bruce Sinclair)
>> wrote:

>> >The cynical among us might say that the higher your list price, the better
>> >your "sale discount" looks.

>> But if you do that, the Commerce Commission will prosecute you now.
>> Sale prices must be discounted from the real shelf prices you were
>> using before the sale.

>You're both right. They can get away with it as long as they have it
>at list price most of the time. I suspect they only rarely sell
>anything expensive other than on sale days.

But you go to the Manufactures web site and find that it much lower.

But the shop is quoting the old retail price like HN does.

JohnO

On Jun 1, 8:48*am, "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "geoff"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> List Price is probably the same as the RRP from the distributor (you
> >> can check it on some importer/distributor websites).

> >> Different shops have different 'shelf prices'.

> > The cynical among us might say that the higher your list price, the
> > better
> > your "sale discount" looks.

> Yep, but the List Price should be the RRP, or MRP, and be the same for each
> retailer.

Why? It should be up to the retailer to decide how much margin they
want out of each item.

> geoff

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "geoff"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> List Price is probably the same as the RRP from the distributor (you
>>> can check it on some importer/distributor websites).
>>>
>>> Different shops have different 'shelf prices'.

>> The cynical among us might say that the higher your list price, the
>> better
>> your "sale discount" looks.

>Yep, but the List Price should be the RRP, or MRP, and be the same for each
>retailer.

Yeah ... you might think, mightn't you ?
Interestingly, many/most don't display a RRP ... just a "normally" ?

Frank Williams

On Thu, 31 May 2012 14:57:09 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Jun 1, 8:48*am, "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Bruce Sinclair wrote:

>> > The cynical among us might say that the higher your list price, the
>> > better
>> > your "sale discount" looks.

>> Yep, but the List Price should be the RRP, or MRP, and be the same for each
>> retailer.

>Why? It should be up to the retailer to decide how much margin they
>want out of each item.

That's the problem in New Zealand why things costs some 5 times the
prices than oversea, even the milk is 1/2 the price in the US..

New Zealand the rip off country.