Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > The Leap - finally a ($70) successor to the mouse?

The Leap - finally a ($70) successor to the mouse?

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
> On Sun, 27 May 2012 13:30:52 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
>>> On Sat, 26 May 2012 23:03:55 +1200, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted
>>> from the highest rooftop:

>>> Looks like a great tool for me to be able to use. So I've just
>>> pre-ordered one of them. My cost in NZD? $`110.02 including
>>> international shipping.

>> Due to my aggresive killfile and snipping by other posters I didn't
>> see the link. I'm assuming that it's a derivative of the 'Kinect'
>> system?

> From the same people, but apparently it's supposed to be a vast
> improvement on the Kinect system. Here are the links from the op:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_d6KuiuteIA
>
> Website:- www.leapmotion.com
>
> http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/lea...9#.T77Og7B5HTo
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=MYgsAMKLu7s
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=Kpi6aTv5o68

Thanks.
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Ralph Fox wrote:
> On Sun, 27 May 2012 13:30:52 +1200, in message
> <jps04e$4jl$(E-Mail Removed)> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> Due to my aggresive killfile and snipping by other posters I didn't
>> see the link.

> The 5 links are here: http://tinyurl.com/d3nce2j
>
>> I'm assuming that it's a derivative of the 'Kinect' system?

> s/derivative/reminiscent/
>
>> The technology at work is reminiscent of that in Microsoft's Xbox
>> Kinect device, which allows players to use their bodies as
>> controllers or input devices. With the Leap, your fingers and
>> hands are the controllers. Unlike the Kinect, the Leap uses a
>> different technology that the creators say allows for far greater
>> accuracy and precision within a smaller space.

Cheers.
--

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
> On 2012-05-27, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Donchano wrote:
>>> On Sat, 26 May 2012 23:03:55 +1200, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted
>>> from the highest rooftop:

>>> Looks like a great tool for me to be able to use. So I've just
>>> pre-ordered one of them. My cost in NZD? $`110.02 including
>>> international shipping.

>> Due to my aggresive killfile and snipping by other posters I didn't
>> see the link. I'm assuming that it's a derivative of the 'Kinect'
>> system?

> Oh wow, chalk please. My kill file is my fingers on the keyboard.
> People in the past have moaned about the kill file *not* removing the
>
> Yep, the snippings of the posters to this group have not removed the
> link.
>
> So Shaun, I do suggest you consider what you have done, and whether
> you wish to change any settings.

Nah, I'm good.

I think that this is the first time this situation has happened and there
are enough kind people here who will help me out if it happens again.

Better that than being tempted to reply to the resident moron.
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Frank Williams

On Mon, 28 May 2012 16:59:16 +1200, "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Possible wrote:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_d6KuiuteIA
>>
>> Website:- www.leapmotion.com
>>
>> http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/lea...9#.T77Og7B5HTo
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=MYgsAMKLu7s
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=Kpi6aTv5o68

>ZoneAlarm flags the site as 'suspicious'. FWIW.
>
>geoff

Yes ZoneAlarm is well known to be utter Crap..

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs geoff wrote:
> Possible wrote:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_d6KuiuteIA
>>
>> Website:- www.leapmotion.com
>>
>> http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/lea...9#.T77Og7B5HTo
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=MYgsAMKLu7s
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=Kpi6aTv5o68

> What a pain, needing to wave things around. Surely slouching on the
> desk with a mouse is far easier ?

Ahhh, slouching! I remeber it fondly.

As I have to sit upright I find that resting my elbow on the chair arm and
my wrist on the desk with the mouse settings at 'fast' works just fine for
me. I never have to move the 'heel' of my hand from the one spot and under
an inch of hand movement covers the 1400 pixels from one side of the screen
to the other.
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Collector»NZ

On Saturday, May 26, 2012 11:03:55 PM UTC+12, EMB wrote:
> On 26/05/2012 5:25 p.m., Possible wrote:
>
> &lt;snip&gt;
>
> Yet again you're spamming other people's crap and telling lies in the
> process. It isn't $70 in any way relevant to the newsgroups you've
> posted to - it's NZ$93, plus NZ$17 shipping. That's a total of $110 of
> the sort any readers here will be paying - would you mind handing over
> the missing $40 to me so I can order one?
>
> Why don't you either get your information correct or just STFU?

Well it certainly looks like an interesting product, albeit it is still vapour ware.

Yeah I am still here, looking at the group and seeing it is still a waste of space with the contributors continuing the same as always. Same old people, same old ****, same old prejudices YAWN.

ZipDisk

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 00:50:58 -0700 (PDT), Collector»NZ
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Well it certainly looks like an interesting product, albeit it is still vapour ware.
>
> Yeah I am still here, looking at the group and seeing it is still a waste of space with the contributors continuing the same as always. Same old people, same old ****, same old prejudices YAWN.

Admit it my posts are so irresistible and full of Great Info, every one
should read them..

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Collector=BBNZ?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Saturday, May 26, 2012 11:03:55 PM UTC+12, EMB wrote:
>> On 26/05/2012 5:25 p.m., Possible wrote:
>> &lt;snip&gt;
>>
>> Yet again you're spamming other people's crap and telling lies in the

>> process. It isn't $70 in any way relevant to the newsgroups you've
>> posted to - it's NZ$93, plus NZ$17 shipping. That's a total of $110

> of
>> the sort any readers here will be paying - would you mind handing over
>> the missing $40 to me so I can order one?
>>
>> Why don't you either get your information correct or just STFU?

>Well it certainly looks like an interesting product, albeit it is still vapour
> ware.
>
>Yeah I am still here, looking at the group and seeing it is still a waste of
> space with the contributors continuing the same as always. Same old people,
> same old ****, same old prejudices YAWN.

... and yet now "possible" can't even post in words. Entropy perhaps ?