Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Credit Cards

Credit Cards

=?Utf-8?B?QXJuZQ==?=

What would be a good component for processing credit cards?
(I am not using commerce server.)
Would I need to encrypt the credit card column in the database?

Matt Berther

Hello Arne,

If you want my business, you had better do that...

--
Matt Berther
http://www.mattberther.com

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Arne,

It is unwise to store credit card numbers. It most cases, you pass the card
number and other information over a secure connection to the gateway but
don't keep track of it yourself.

There's a lot to learn in this area. You might want to get started by using
the Payflow Pro component and documentation from here:

http://www.verisign.com/products-services/payment-processing/index.html?from=ql017Ken"Arne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed)...> What would be a good component for processing credit cards?> (I am not using commerce server.)> Would I need to encrypt the credit card column in the database?

=?Utf-8?B?QXJuZQ==?=

I think storing the credit card could be an option. If amazon.com can safely
store my credit card I should also be able to store credit cards at my site.

"Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" wrote:

> Hi Arne,
>
> It is unwise to store credit card numbers. It most cases, you pass the card
> number and other information over a secure connection to the gateway but
> don't keep track of it yourself.
>
> There's a lot to learn in this area. You might want to get started by using
> the Payflow Pro component and documentation from here:
>
> http://www.verisign.com/products-services/payment-processing/index.html?from=ql017Ken"Arne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed)...> What would be a good component for processing credit cards?> (I am not using commerce server.)> Would I need to encrypt the credit card column in the database?

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Okay, but you may run into some difficulty with the credit card companies.

They'll want to send someone to ensure that everything is being handled
securely.

"Arne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I think storing the credit card could be an option. If amazon.com can
>safely
> store my credit card I should also be able to store credit cards at my
> site.
>
> "Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Hi Arne,
>>
>> It is unwise to store credit card numbers. It most cases, you pass the
>> card
>> number and other information over a secure connection to the gateway but
>> don't keep track of it yourself.
>>
>> There's a lot to learn in this area. You might want to get started by
>> using
>> the Payflow Pro component and documentation from here:
>>

>> http://www.verisign.com/products-services/payment-processing/index.html?from=ql017Ken"Arne"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> messagenews:(E-Mail Removed)...> What
>> would be a good component for processing credit cards?> (I am not using
>> commerce server.)> Would I need to encrypt the credit card column in the
>> database?

MWells

And don't forget, Amazon has the megabucks to spend on security.

If for some reason you decide that storing credit card numbers is an
absolute necessity, make sure you disclose that fact fully, encrypt the data
thoroughly, and make storage optional. The typical;

"X remember this credit card for future purchases"

Should work well, especially if you default it to false.

"Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ORMb7oO$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Okay, but you may run into some difficulty with the credit card companies.
>
> They'll want to send someone to ensure that everything is being handled
> securely.
>

> "Arne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I think storing the credit card could be an option. If amazon.com can
> >safely
> > store my credit card I should also be able to store credit cards at my
> > site.
> >
> > "Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Arne,
> >>
> >> It is unwise to store credit card numbers. It most cases, you pass the
> >> card
> >> number and other information over a secure connection to the gateway

but
> >> don't keep track of it yourself.
> >>
> >> There's a lot to learn in this area. You might want to get started by
> >> using
> >> the Payflow Pro component and documentation from here:

http://www.verisign.com/products-ser...ndex.html?from
=ql017Ken"Arne"
> >> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >> messagenews:(E-Mail Removed)...> What
> >> would be a good component for processing credit cards?> (I am not using
> >> commerce server.)> Would I need to encrypt the credit card column in

the
> >> database?

George

1. One of the requirement when you get a merchant account is that you do not keep credit cards transactions on a server.
The rest is up to you.

2. To process credit cards you do not need much. The most common way is to use some gateway.
I am using AuthorizeNet and in about 1 hour i wrote a component that does it. You just need to feed it with customer info.

You can start from here
http://www.authorizenet.com/solution...tionMethod.php

George