Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > TeX subset into MathML conversion via MathJax

TeX subset into MathML conversion via MathJax

Ivan Shmakov

[Cross-posting to news:comp.text.xml, for obvious reasons.]

[…]

>>> However, for math in HTML you may also consider using mathjax,
>>> which offers a very comprehensive solution both as online and
>>> offline JavaScript converter of LaTeX math code embedded in HTML
>>> pages. http://www.mathjax.org/

>> I'll take a look at it, though I don't know whether it's going to be
>> feasible to tie JavaScript code to the Perl-based core.

> JavaScript is not required during the document generation, only when
> viewing the generated HTML document. If you go for the online
> option, you do not even need to install any JavaScript (instead, the
> user viewing the document needs an internet connection (should be no
> problem when browsing a wiki)

I'd like to note that Ikiwiki-based sites may be relatively easy
to mirror (so to facilitate offline reading), and may also allow
for uploading of offline edits.

> and browser settings allowing to download and run the converter
> skript in order to see the pretty printed output - otherwise he/she
> sees the LaTeX source (which is IMO a safe and sensible fallback).

The reason why I don't like such an approach is twofold. First
of all, I generally dislike the now-widespread notion of
“webpage is code we send to your computer” — be it Java, Flash,
ECMAScript, or whatever else. (Not to mention that, Lynx, my
Web browser of choice, doesn't support JavaScript.)

On the other side, I may wish to apply some post-processing to
the formulae. And if those are in LaTeX at the server, — I'm
back to the original problem.

Though I'll probably check if MathJax could be of some use,
anyway.

[...]

--
FSF associate member #7257

MathJax problems I.N. Galidakis HTML 0 08-12-2011 04:16 PM
Outputting MathML via Javascript BakedBean XML 3 12-14-2005 04:22 PM
Converting TeX tokens into characters Jonathan Fine Python 0 06-29-2005 06:43 AM
What is this strange place I've walked into - subset of photography? Meldon Digital Photography 12 06-08-2004 11:32 PM
MathML =?Utf-8?B?SmVyZW15?= ASP .Net 1 05-09-2004 04:41 PM

Advertisments