Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > usenet reading

usenet reading

Jon Clements

Hi All,

Normally use Google Groups but it's becoming absolutely frustrating - not only has the interface changed to be frankly impractical, the posts are somewhat random of what appears, is posted and whatnot. (Ironically posted from GG)

Is there a server out there where I can get my news groups? I use to be with an ISP that hosted usenet servers, but alas, it's no longer around...

Only really interested in Python groups and C++.

Any advice appreciated,

Jon.

memilanuk

On Friday, May 25, 2012 3:38:55 PM UTC-7, Jon Clements wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Normally use Google Groups but it's becoming absolutely frustrating - not only has the interface changed to be frankly impractical, the posts are somewhat random of what appears, is posted and whatnot. (Ironically posted from GG)
>
> Is there a server out there where I can get my news groups? I use to be with an ISP that hosted usenet servers, but alas, it's no longer around...
>
> Only really interested in Python groups and C++.
>
> Any advice appreciated,
>
> Jon.

Have you tried news.gmane.org?

They have a Mail2News gateway for many popular mailing lists, as well as some of the traditional usenet hierarchy - including this group.

Here is a link to their page for this group, to give you an idea of what kind of reading options they provide.

http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.general

Or you can point your usenet reader @ news.gmane.org and subscribe 'normally'.

HTH,

Monte

Jason Earl

On Fri, May 25 2012, Jon Clements wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Normally use Google Groups but it's becoming absolutely frustrating -
> not only has the interface changed to be frankly impractical, the
> posts are somewhat random of what appears, is posted and
> whatnot. (Ironically posted from GG)
>
> Is there a server out there where I can get my news groups? I use to
> be with an ISP that hosted usenet servers, but alas, it's no longer
> around...
>
> Only really interested in Python groups and C++.
>
> Any advice appreciated,
>
> Jon.

I have had good success with news.eternal-september.org .

http://www.eternal-september.org/

Jason

Temia Eszteri

On Fri, 25 May 2012 23:30:24 -0600, Jason Earl
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, May 25 2012, Jon Clements wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Normally use Google Groups but it's becoming absolutely frustrating -
>> not only has the interface changed to be frankly impractical, the
>> posts are somewhat random of what appears, is posted and
>> whatnot. (Ironically posted from GG)
>>
>> Is there a server out there where I can get my news groups? I use to
>> be with an ISP that hosted usenet servers, but alas, it's no longer
>> around...
>>
>> Only really interested in Python groups and C++.
>>
>> Any advice appreciated,
>>
>> Jon.

>I have had good success with news.eternal-september.org .
>
>http://www.eternal-september.org/
>
>Jason

Not sure if you can even see my original reply to you (I certainly
can't), but it seems the Python mailing list (which I've been using
rather extensively up until now) has some serious problems syncing to
the newsgroup - large amounts of content simply isn't crossing over
into Usenet's territory, if the synchronization is anything beyond
read-only to begin with.

It's a shame, but it looks like I'll have to go back to using the
mailing list to read for completeness's sake. :/ Gonna be tricky
juggling that for reading and keeping Usenet for writing (so as to not
contribute to the information loss), but I'll make do somehow.

~Temia
--
When on earth, do as the earthlings do.

Roy Smith

In article <Vi6wr.735287$(E-Mail Removed)4>,
duncan smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 25/05/12 23:38, Jon Clements wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Normally use Google Groups but it's becoming absolutely frustrating - not
> > only has the interface changed to be frankly impractical, the posts are
> > somewhat random of what appears, is posted and whatnot. (Ironically posted
> > from GG)
> >
> > Is there a server out there where I can get my news groups?

> If you don't mind paying a small fee there are several companies
> providing usenet access such as http://www.newsdemon.com. (I didn't have
> much joy trying to track down a reliable free service, so now I pay a
> few pounds a year.)
>
> Duncan

I use panix.com. For $100/year, I get mail, news, and unix shell
access. By some measures, it's an expensive way to get mail access, but
I'd much rather give Panix $100 than take advantage of any of the free
mail services who does who-knows-what with my mail. Not to mention that
I get access to such private newsgroups as panix.nytel.abuse.

Javier

news.aioe.org
nntp.aioe.org

http://www.aioe.org/

Aioe.org hosts a public news server, an USENET site that is
intentionally kept open for all IP addresses without requiring any kind
of authentication both for reading and posting.Each IP address is
authorized to post 25 messages per day...

Colin Higwell

On Fri, 25 May 2012 15:38:55 -0700, Jon Clements wrote:

> Is there a server out there where I can get my news groups? I use to be
> with an ISP that hosted usenet servers, but alas, it's no longer
> around...

I use Albasani.net (free and very reliable), as well as gmane.org.

Google Groups is an abomination IMHO, and I find it much easier to read
mailing lists via a newsreader. I highly recommend Pan, by the way.

Matej Cepl

On 03/06/12 13:59, Colin Higwell wrote:
> Google Groups is an abomination IMHO, and I find it much easier to read
> mailing lists via a newsreader. I highly recommend Pan, by the way.

I am still surprised how good experience I have with reading news with
Thunderbird. Yes, Pan is better, but it used to have some rough edges
(e.g., it's offline qualities were a bit elusive), but of course
generally it is quite more powerful as a NNTP reader.

Matěj

Peter Pearson

On Sat, 26 May 2012 16:05:23 +0100, duncan smith wrote:
> On 25/05/12 23:38, Jon Clements wrote:

[snip]
>> Is there a server out there where I can get my news groups?

> If you don't mind paying a small fee there are several companies
> providing usenet access such as http://www.newsdemon.com. (I didn't have
> much joy trying to track down a reliable free service, so now I pay a
> few pounds a year.)

Also in the pay-a-little category, news.individual.net costs 10
euros per year and filters out spam pretty effectively. I've
been happy using it with the slrn news reader for about 4 years.

Martin Schöön

On 2012-06-03, Peter Pearson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, 26 May 2012 16:05:23 +0100, duncan smith wrote:
>> On 25/05/12 23:38, Jon Clements wrote:

> [snip]
>>> Is there a server out there where I can get my news groups?

>> If you don't mind paying a small fee there are several companies
>> providing usenet access such as http://www.newsdemon.com. (I didn't have
>> much joy trying to track down a reliable free service, so now I pay a
>> few pounds a year.)

> Also in the pay-a-little category, news.individual.net costs 10
> euros per year and filters out spam pretty effectively. I've
> been happy using it with the slrn news reader for about 4 years.

Same here.

/Martin