Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > How to properly recursively navigate into archives stored in archives

How to properly recursively navigate into archives stored in archives

David Karr

06-01-2012
I have a small perl script that I use to search archives for members matching a name. I'd like to enhance this so that if it finds any members in thearchive that are also archives (zip, jar, etc) it will then recursively scan those, looking for the original desired pattern.

I've looked through the "Archive::Zip" documentation, and I thought I saw how to do this. I noticed the "fh()" and "readFromFileHandle()" methods. However, in my testing, it appears that the "fh()" call on an archive memberreturns the file handle for the containing archive, not the member. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong, but I appreciate an example of how to do this.

David Karr

06-01-2012
On Friday, June 1, 2012 9:57:01 AM UTC-7, David Karr wrote:
> I have a small perl script that I use to search archives for members matching a name. I'd like to enhance this so that if it finds any members in the archive that are also archives (zip, jar, etc) it will then recursively scan those, looking for the original desired pattern.
>
> I've looked through the "Archive::Zip" documentation, and I thought I sawhow to do this. I noticed the "fh()" and "readFromFileHandle()" methods. However, in my testing, it appears that the "fh()" call on an archive member returns the file handle for the containing archive, not the member. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong, but I appreciate an example of how to do this.

I got this answered, at: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...-archive-files

J. Gleixner

06-01-2012
On 06/01/12 11:57, David Karr wrote:
> I have a small perl script that I use to search archives for members matching a name. I'd like to enhance this so that if it finds any members in the archive that are also archives (zip, jar, etc) it will then recursively scan those, looking for the original desired pattern.
>
> I've looked through the "Archive::Zip" documentation, and I thought I saw how to do this. I noticed the "fh()" and "readFromFileHandle()" methods. However, in my testing, it appears that the "fh()" call on an archive member returns the file handle for the containing archive, not the member. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong, but I appreciate an example of how to do this.

Keep looking at the documentation.. I haven't used it, but a quick
read and it looks like members(), and/or membersMatching() methods
seem to be what you're after.