Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Reasons to not use Frames in website design

Re: Reasons to not use Frames in website design

(PeteCresswell)

Per Alan_Smith:
> The most powerful justifications against using...
> Frames keep people from social bookmarking your pages properly.
> Google and other search engines have trouble indexing frames.
> Frames damage scrolling.
> Frames often look bad.

I'm no web designer - or programmer, just a clueless noob who
cobbled together something for his high school class reunions. My
"design tool" consists of NotePad with an occasional copy/paste
from the HTML behind an MS Word doc.

I went with frames because it was the only way I could figure out
how to get a scrolling list of names/photos.

Google seems to have indexed it - at least as far as WCHS59 and
"West Chester High School 1959" go. The rest is moot for this
application.

Scrolling, I have only tried with three browsers. Scrolls fine
on my instances of Chrome, FireFox, and IE - maybe it will clog
up some other browser.

Social bookmarking - also moot... although I would guess that in
the context of FaceBook, this application is approaching
obsolescence.

There are probably dozens of things wrong with the app from the
perspective of somebody who knows something... but I know nothing
and it seems tb working for me and others - with the exception of
the "Send us an e-mail" link on the FAQ. Now that I know about
the issue, I really should do something to insulate it from 'bot
address harvesters.

Somebody else volunteered to take over maintenance and they
changed the fonts from the more "Plain Vanilla" ones I chose.
Other than that it's exactly as I wrote it: www.WCHS59.com

--
Pete Cresswell

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Per Alan_Smith:
> > The most powerful justifications against using...
> > Frames keep people from social bookmarking your pages properly.
> > Google and other search engines have trouble indexing frames.
> > Frames damage scrolling.
> > Frames often look bad.

> I went with frames because it was the only way I could figure out
> how to get a scrolling list of names/photos.

> Scrolling, I have only tried with three browsers. Scrolls fine
> on my instances of Chrome, FireFox, and IE - maybe it will clog
> up some other browser.

I have seen now and then people complain they want to be able to
scroll the whole page that consist of frames but this is probably
either an unreasonable thing to want or very hopeful and demanding.
Frames themselves scroll fine. That is almost part of their charm,
independent scrolling.

I laughed at the apple of Frames looking bad! There are too many
non-frame pages that look bad for this to be taken seriously. There is
no compelling reason to do with frames for a framed page not to be
nice looking.

--
dorayme