Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: Network license control for a Java application

Re: Network license control for a Java application

Jeffrey H. Coffield

On 05/21/2012 02:08 AM, Qu0ll wrote:
> I have been tasked with providing some form of network license control
> for a Java application. The app would be stored on a network drive and
> run from a client machine. The basic idea is that it will be able to
> work out how many times it is being run concurrently and prevent the
> N+1th user from running the software where N is the number of concurrent
> licenses the customer has purchased.

My first idea would be to have the application open a connection to a
"license server" that would only accept N connections. With some sort of
keep-alive packet you could time out systems that crashed. (I have seen
windows systems crash and leave TCP/IP connections open).

Jeff Coffield
www.digitalsynergyinc.com