Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Panasonic 14-45mm kit beats Oly 12-50mm

Panasonic 14-45mm kit beats Oly 12-50mm

RichA

The extra 2mm in addition to splash and dust-proofing on the Olympus
is nice, but it does not match the Panasonic wide open at the edge.
Interesting as the Panasonic supposedly only shows its full capability
when used on a Panasonic body because of that camera's build-in image
corrections. Or so I've heard. Could mean the chromatic aberration,
some purple is visible in the Panasonic shot.

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/143412015

Bruce

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>The extra 2mm in addition to splash and dust-proofing on the Olympus
>is nice, but it does not match the Panasonic wide open at the edge.
>Interesting as the Panasonic supposedly only shows its full capability
>when used on a Panasonic body because of that camera's build-in image
>corrections. Or so I've heard. Could mean the chromatic aberration,
>some purple is visible in the Panasonic shot.
> http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/143412015

Rich,

I hope you are pleased with your OM-D E-M5 and that you intend to keep
it rather longer than your other recent purchases.

The Olympus 12-50mm lens is biased towards features rather than
optical performance. There is only so much that can be achieved at
the price and the money has gone on weather sealing, power zoom and a
greater zoom range than the Panasonic. The 12mm wide end (24mm full
frame equivalent) is a particularly good feature, and the 100mm
(equivalent) long end may be slightly more useful for portraiture than
the 94mm or 90mm equivalent of other standard zooms.

No-one should expect a top quality optical performance from this lens,
because they haven't paid for it.

The Panasonic 14-45mm OIS is a superb lens delivering far better
optics and build than anyone has a right to expect. It doesn't have
power zoom and is not weather sealed. Instead, the money has gone on
the optics, and it shows.

RichA

On May 19, 12:35*pm, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >The extra 2mm in addition to splash and dust-proofing on the Olympus
> >is nice, but it does not match the Panasonic wide open at the edge.
> >Interesting as the Panasonic supposedly only shows its full capability
> >when used on a Panasonic body because of that camera's build-in image
> >corrections. Or so I've heard. *Could mean the chromatic aberration,
> >some purple is visible in the Panasonic shot.
> >http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/143412015

> Rich,
>
> I hope you are pleased with your OM-D E-M5 and that you intend to keep
> it rather longer than your other recent purchases.
>
> The Olympus 12-50mm lens is biased towards features rather than
> optical performance. *There is only so much that can be achieved at
> the price and the money has gone on weather sealing, power zoom and a
> greater zoom range than the Panasonic. *The 12mm wide end (24mm full
> frame equivalent) is a particularly good feature, and the 100mm
> (equivalent) long end may be slightly more useful for portraiture than
> the 94mm or 90mm equivalent of other standard zooms.
>
> No-one should expect a top quality optical performance from this lens,
> because they haven't paid for it.
>
> The Panasonic 14-45mm OIS is a superb lens delivering far better
> optics and build than anyone has a right to expect. *It doesn't have
> power zoom and is not weather sealed. *Instead, the money has gone on
> the optics, and it shows.

I think it's possible Olympus sacrificed overall optical quality to
get the macro capabilities of the lens.

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/143413928

Bruce

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On May 19, 12:35*pm, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >The extra 2mm in addition to splash and dust-proofing on the Olympus
>> >is nice, but it does not match the Panasonic wide open at the edge.
>> >Interesting as the Panasonic supposedly only shows its full capability
>> >when used on a Panasonic body because of that camera's build-in image
>> >corrections. Or so I've heard. *Could mean the chromatic aberration,
>> >some purple is visible in the Panasonic shot.
>> >http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/143412015

>> Rich,
>>
>> I hope you are pleased with your OM-D E-M5 and that you intend to keep
>> it rather longer than your other recent purchases.
>>
>> The Olympus 12-50mm lens is biased towards features rather than
>> optical performance. *There is only so much that can be achieved at
>> the price and the money has gone on weather sealing, power zoom and a
>> greater zoom range than the Panasonic. *The 12mm wide end (24mm full
>> frame equivalent) is a particularly good feature, and the 100mm
>> (equivalent) long end may be slightly more useful for portraiture than
>> the 94mm or 90mm equivalent of other standard zooms.
>>
>> No-one should expect a top quality optical performance from this lens,
>> because they haven't paid for it.
>>
>> The Panasonic 14-45mm OIS is a superb lens delivering far better
>> optics and build than anyone has a right to expect. *It doesn't have
>> power zoom and is not weather sealed. *Instead, the money has gone on
>> the optics, and it shows.

>I think it's possible Olympus sacrificed overall optical quality to
>get the macro capabilities of the lens.
>http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/143413928

Proves my point then. Macro is just another feature, unfortunately
another reason why the overall optical performance is lacking.

This is a lens worth selling while it is still in strong demand. Of
course you might not want to sell it separately as it would make it
difficult to obtain a refund on the whole kit. Going on your prior
record, you will be returning the kit for a refund (or selling it to
someone else) before the month is out ...

RichA

On May 19, 7:32*pm, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Rich,

> >> I hope you are pleased with your OM-D E-M5 and that you intend to keep
> >> it rather longer than your other recent purchases.

> >> The Olympus 12-50mm lens is biased towards features rather than
> >> optical performance. *There is only so much that can be achieved at
> >> the price and the money has gone on weather sealing, power zoom and a
> >> greater zoom range than the Panasonic. *The 12mm wide end (24mm full
> >> frame equivalent) is a particularly good feature, and the 100mm
> >> (equivalent) long end may be slightly more useful for portraiture than
> >> the 94mm or 90mm equivalent of other standard zooms.

> >> No-one should expect a top quality optical performance from this lens,
> >> because they haven't paid for it.

> >> The Panasonic 14-45mm OIS is a superb lens delivering far better
> >> optics and build than anyone has a right to expect. *It doesn't have
> >> power zoom and is not weather sealed. *Instead, the money has gone on
> >> the optics, and it shows.

> >I think it's possible Olympus sacrificed overall optical quality to
> >get the macro capabilities of the lens.
> >http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/143413928

> Proves my point then. *Macro is just another feature, unfortunately
> another reason why the overall optical performance is lacking.
>
> This is a lens worth selling while it is still in strong demand. *Of
> course you might not want to sell it separately as it would make it
> difficult to obtain a refund on the whole kit. *Going on your prior
> record, you will be returning the kit for a refund (or selling it to
> someone else) before the month is out ...

Actually, the only (major) camera I've bought and kept for less than 1
year was the GH2, which I got specifically to act as a stop-gap for
the E-M5. I have bought and sold some minor cameras pretty quickly,
like the old D40 and Olympus E-420.

Bruce

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On May 19, 7:32=A0pm, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> This is a lens worth selling while it is still in strong demand. =A0Of
>> course you might not want to sell it separately as it would make it
>> difficult to obtain a refund on the whole kit. =A0Going on your prior
>> record, you will be returning the kit for a refund (or selling it to
>> someone else) before the month is out ...

>Actually, the only (major) camera I've bought and kept for less than 1
>year was the GH2, which I got specifically to act as a stop-gap for
>the E-M5.

You forgot the Nikon D7000?

Just Me

Le 2012-05-19 12:21, RichA a écrit :
> The extra 2mm in addition to splash and dust-proofing on the Olympus
> is nice, but it does not match the Panasonic wide open at the edge.
> Interesting as the Panasonic supposedly only shows its full capability
> when used on a Panasonic body because of that camera's build-in image
> corrections. Or so I've heard. Could mean the chromatic aberration,
> some purple is visible in the Panasonic shot.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/143412015

both are avergae at best:
http://www.photozone.de/olympus--fou...5_3556?start=2

The mft system is pathetic anyway.

RichA

On May 22, 9:59*am, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >On May 19, 7:32=A0pm, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> This is a lens worth selling while it is still in strong demand. =A0Of
> >> course you might not want to sell it separately as it would make it
> >> difficult to obtain a refund on the whole kit. =A0Going on your prior
> >> record, you will be returning the kit for a refund (or selling it to
> >> someone else) before the month is out ...

> >Actually, the only (major) camera I've bought and kept for less than 1
> >year was the GH2, which I got specifically to act as a stop-gap for
> >the E-M5.

> You forgot the Nikon D7000?

Oh yeah...It was such a downgrade from the D300 body I just couldn't
keep it. But you are right, that is an example of one I dumped
really fast.

ray

On Tue, 22 May 2012 15:18:34 -0400, Just Me wrote:

> The mft system is pathetic anyway.

Compared to?

Wolfgang Weisselberg

ray <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 May 2012 15:18:34 -0400, Just Me wrote:

>> The mft system is pathetic anyway.

> Compared to?

tiny point'n'shoots that live in shirt pockets.

-Wolfgang