Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: [SI] New Mandates.

Re: [SI] New Mandates.

PeterN

On 5/13/2012 4:02 PM, Bowser wrote:

<snip>

> Some of us have jobs. And some of us have no macro gear, so I'll have
> to improvise.

Not sure what you sue, but some inexpensive suggestions.

Extension tube;
Optical close up lens
enlarge a portion of your image.

--
Peter

tony cooper

On Fri, 18 May 2012 21:00:29 -0400, PeterN
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 5/13/2012 4:02 PM, Bowser wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>> Some of us have jobs. And some of us have no macro gear, so I'll have
>> to improvise.

>Not sure what you sue, but some inexpensive suggestions.
>
>Extension tube;
>Optical close up lens
>enlarge a portion of your image.

The mandate is macro or close-up. I've been shooting close-ups for
years - and will submit three to the current SI - and don't own any
macro gear.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

PeterN

On 5/18/2012 10:13 PM, tony cooper wrote:
> On Fri, 18 May 2012 21:00:29 -0400, PeterN
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 5/13/2012 4:02 PM, Bowser wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Some of us have jobs. And some of us have no macro gear, so I'll have
>>> to improvise.

>> Not sure what you sue, but some inexpensive suggestions.
>>
>> Extension tube;
>> Optical close up lens
>> enlarge a portion of your image.

> The mandate is macro or close-up. I've been shooting close-ups for
> years - and will submit three to the current SI - and don't own any
> macro gear.

Yes I was simply offering inexpensive alternatives to Bowser, if he
wanted to shoot macro.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 5/19/2012 1:44 PM, Frank S wrote:

> "PeterN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4fb7bb38$0$28413$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com...
>> On 5/18/2012 10:13 PM, tony cooper wrote:

>>> The mandate is macro or close-up. I've been shooting close-ups for
>>> years - and will submit three to the current SI - and don't own any
>>> macro gear.
>>>

>> Yes I was simply offering inexpensive alternatives to Bowser, if he
>> wanted to shoot macro.
>>

> While we are picking nits: unless the original image is recorded by
> macro or in closeup, enlarging a portion of an image is not within the
> spirit of the mandate, my view.

It seems to me that the technique is immaterial. If one visualizes the
image prior to capture, why should the lack of equipment matter.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 5/20/2012 4:13 PM, Frank S wrote:

> "PeterN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4fb83b80$0$31394$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com...
>> On 5/19/2012 1:44 PM, Frank S wrote:
>>>
>>> "PeterN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:4fb7bb38$0$28413$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com...

>>> While we are picking nits: unless the original image is recorded by
>>> macro or in closeup, enlarging a portion of an image is not within the
>>> spirit of the mandate, my view.
>>>

>> It seems to me that the technique is immaterial. If one visualizes the
>> image prior to capture, why should the lack of equipment matter.
>>

> Well, sure. Why should there be mandates at all? My principal objection
> to some past exhibitions has been that the author didn't seem to
> acknowledge the mandate at all, just chose an image, barely identifiable
> in some cases as a photograph, and set it before the assembly.

Probably guilty, though I admit to stretching the subject. For me
photography is a relaxing hobby. The mandate got me out shooting for
about 15 minutes today.

> On another but related tack: I'd say that a frame-filling or larger
> image of a jet plane in flight or a racing car at speed might well
> qualify as "close up" to ordinary mortals with normal fear reflexes.

Of course! "Close up" is an imprecise, relative term. What might be far
away for your racing car, would be much too close for shooting an
explosion. (depending of course on the size of the explosion.

--
Peter

tony cooper

On Sun, 20 May 2012 13:13:21 -0700, "Frank S" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"PeterN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:4fb83b80$0$31394$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com...
>> On 5/19/2012 1:44 PM, Frank S wrote:
>>>
>>> "PeterN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:4fb7bb38$0$28413$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com...

>>> While we are picking nits: unless the original image is recorded by
>>> macro or in closeup, enlarging a portion of an image is not within the
>>> spirit of the mandate, my view.
>>>

>> It seems to me that the technique is immaterial. If one visualizes the
>> image prior to capture, why should the lack of equipment matter.
>>

>Well, sure. Why should there be mandates at all? My principal objection to
>some past exhibitions has been that the author didn't seem to acknowledge
>the mandate at all, just chose an image, barely identifiable in some cases
>as a photograph, and set it before the assembly.
>
>On another but related tack: I'd say that a frame-filling or larger image of
>a jet plane in flight or a racing car at speed might well qualify as "close
>up" to ordinary mortals with normal fear reflexes.

I wouldn't. The primary theme of the two photos you describe is the
object: the jet plane and the racing car. The primary theme of a
"close-up" is the closeness of the view.

This is a photograph of a watch:
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...00-144a-XL.jpg

This is a photograph of a close-up of watch parts:

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...3-17-34-XL.jpg

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida