Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: "java_sersion" Applet parameter's Expected behaviour

Re: "java_sersion" Applet parameter's Expected behaviour

Richard Maher

Honestly, here's a very simple applet: -

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE> A Simple Program </TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

Here is the output of my program:
<APPLET CODE="HelloWorld.class" WIDTH=150 HEIGHT=25>
<param name="java_version" value="1.4*">
</APPLET>
</BODY>
</HTML>

import java.awt.Graphics;
public class HelloWorld extends java.applet.Applet {

public void init() {
resize(150,25);
}
public void paint(Graphics g) {
g.drawString("Hello world!", 50, 25);
}
}

Can *anyone* show me *any version* or Java +/- browser wher the
"java_version" applet parameter does *anything* other than take up
space? APPLET, OBJECT, or EMBED tags.

What is supposed to hapen when I ask/demand 7.0 and 7.0 does not
exists???

Is larry pre-occupied on courtroom battles to concentrate on something
that should be so simple?

Cheers Richard Maher

Lew

Richard Maher wrote:
> Honestly, here's a very simple applet: -
>
> <HTML>
> <HEAD>
> <TITLE> A Simple Program </TITLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY>
>
> Here is the output of my program:
> <APPLET CODE="HelloWorld.class" WIDTH=150 HEIGHT=25>
>

> </APPLET>
> </BODY>
> </HTML>
>
> import java.awt.Graphics;
> public class HelloWorld extends java.applet.Applet {
>
> public void init() {
> resize(150,25);
> }
> public void paint(Graphics g) {
> g.drawString("Hello world!", 50, 25);
> }
> }

Have you considered using JNLP?

> Can *anyone* show me *any version* or Java +/- browser wher the
> "java_version" applet parameter does *anything* other than take up
> space? APPLET, OBJECT, or EMBED tags.
>
> What is supposed to hapen when I ask/demand 7.0 and 7.0 does not
> exists???

How many question marks do you need to indicate an interrogative?

> Is larry [sic] pre-occupied on courtroom battles to concentrate on something
> that should be so simple?

That's a very silly question.

Five minutes of googling found me this:
"For both Internet Explorer and the Mozilla family of browsers, if Java Plug-in is installed (version 1.3.1_01a or later) then the latest installed version of Java Plug-in is invoked to run the applet."
<http://docs.oracle.com/javase/1.5.0/docs/guide/plugin/developer_guide/using_tags.html#applet>

and this (did you read the tutorials for applets?):
<http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/deployment/applet/param.html>
"Parameters are to Java applets what command-line arguments are to applications. "

Did you write your applet to take a "java_version" parameter? If not, there's your error.

Really, you should consider reading the documentation,at least the tutorials. And increase your google-fu. It only took me five minutes to find this information, and I'm not experienced with applets.

Where did you find an indication of an applet parameter to specify the Java version? Please cite your reference.

--
Lew

Lew

Lew wrote:
> Did you write your applet to take a "java_version" parameter? If not, there's your error.
> Where did you find an indication of an applet parameter to specify the Java version?
> Please cite your reference.

As usual I discovered my error long after posting wrong information.

There indeed is such a parameter now, since Java 5, as indicated in the OP's link in
another thread. In detail:
<http://jdk6.java.net/plugin2/version-selection/#BEHAVIOR>

Nutshell: the JRE will be the latest version available if you specify "family +"
and you don't have that family (plus) installed.

"When considering a request to launch an applet on a particular family
or any later family, the latest available JRE will be used to launch the applet."

So the OP is complaining about the intended behavior.

--
Lew