Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Dual Layer Taiyo Yuden DVD-R?

Dual Layer Taiyo Yuden DVD-R?

Stan Brown

I now have a drive that can write dual-layer disks, so I wanted to
buy some blanks.

Surprisingly, my search at Amazon for
"dual layer" DVD-R "taiyo yuden"
came up with a bunch of other brands but no Taiyo Yuden.

Is my search flawed in some way that I'm missing?

Does Taiyo Yuden not make dual layer DVD-R's? If that's the case,
what brand would you recommend? (I checked at Videohelp.com, which
I've not visited in a while, but couldn't find any recommendations of
media.)

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

kaboom

On Sun, 13 May 2012 16:04:36 -0400, Stan Brown
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I now have a drive that can write dual-layer disks, so I wanted to
>buy some blanks.
>
>Surprisingly, my search at Amazon for
>"dual layer" DVD-R "taiyo yuden"
>came up with a bunch of other brands but no Taiyo Yuden.
>
>Is my search flawed in some way that I'm missing?
>
>Does Taiyo Yuden not make dual layer DVD-R's? If that's the case,
>what brand would you recommend? (I checked at Videohelp.com, which
>I've not visited in a while, but couldn't find any recommendations of
>media.)

**Peruse these URLs for some recommendations:

http://club.myce.com/f33/

http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

http://club.myce.com/f33/taiyo-yuden...-exist-326651/

I used to use the forums at afterdawn as well but they seem to be
quite unpopulated lately.

If you go dual layer, you have to go DVD+R. The best dual layers right
now are the Verbatims. Last I knew, try to find Made in Singapore.

kaboomie

Stan Brown

On Sun, 13 May 2012 19:05:20 -0400, kaboom wrote:

> On Sun, 13 May 2012 16:04:36 -0400, Stan Brown
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I now have a drive that can write dual-layer disks, so I wanted to
> >buy some blanks.
> >
> >Surprisingly, my search at Amazon for
> >"dual layer" DVD-R "taiyo yuden"
> >came up with a bunch of other brands but no Taiyo Yuden.
> >
> >Is my search flawed in some way that I'm missing?
> >
> >Does Taiyo Yuden not make dual layer DVD-R's? If that's the case,
> >what brand would you recommend? (I checked at Videohelp.com, which
> >I've not visited in a while, but couldn't find any recommendations of
> >media.)

> **Peruse these URLs for some recommendations:
>
> http://club.myce.com/f33/
>
> http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm
>
> http://club.myce.com/f33/taiyo-yuden...-exist-326651/
>

> I used to use the forums at afterdawn as well but they seem to be
> quite unpopulated lately.
>
> If you go dual layer, you have to go DVD+R. The best dual layers right
> now are the Verbatims. Last I knew, try to find Made in Singapore.

Thanks for the fast response!

I looked at your "digitalfaq" link, and they do recommend Verbatim
(which surprised me) but said JVC Taiyo Yuden was "an excellent
second choice".

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

kaboom

On Sun, 13 May 2012 22:35:35 -0400, Stan Brown
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks for the fast response!
>
>I looked at your "digitalfaq" link, and they do recommend Verbatim
>(which surprised me) but said JVC Taiyo Yuden was "an excellent
>second choice".

**You're welcome! I use Taiyo Yuden Premium Line DVD-R for
single-layer burns and Verbatims (Singapore) for dual layer. Getting
the Singapore Verbatims is beginning to become a crapshoot. The last
time I bought recording media, I bought so much in one shot that I've
been using that for the past couple of years. Now I'm running low and
I have to order more TYs as well as some dual layers. I wait for
specials at Supermediastore.

kaboomie