Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Leica M Monochrom captures exclusively in black and white, costs far more than your color-abled shooter

Re: Leica M Monochrom captures exclusively in black and white, costs far more than your color-abled shooter

Jon Fabian

philo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 5/12/2012 4:54 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 May 2012 21:03:29 -0700, Savageduck
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>> : On 2012-05-11 18:15:38 -0700, MummyChunk said:

<previous argument removed>

>> :

> yes
>
> but more importantly is a camera like that really needed?
>
> I have my doubts

I would think that depends on the definition of the word "need". For me it
is enticing because I do not do enough MF-only work to justify the
purchase of a Phase-One monochrome back. And since the Leica will cost 20%
what an MF back costs, it puts it well within the realm of possibility.
Add my large collection of Leica glass, both M-mount and screw mount, my
total cost will be lower than many others'.

Do I "need" it? I shoot monochrome almost exclusively, which means that
there are many things I won't have to do in Photoshop (or whatever) that I
would with a color conversion. Am I in the majority, even of Leica users?
No. But I have held off buying Leica digital this long specifically
because I was hoping for a monochrome-only body. Obviously I'm in the
tiniest of minority of photographers, but I know a few others in my
situation who are looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

And to stave off any general anti-Leica sentiment, anyone can make an
optically near-perfect lens nowadays. My favorite Leica lenses were not
designed with the help of a computer (i.e., they're old). imperfections
draw me to older lenses. I could just as easily use Canon, Nikon, or
Contax rangefinders, I just happen to prefer Leicas.

SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org