Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Relative positioning

Relative positioning

Arne Vajh°j

On 5/11/2012 9:46 PM, Zach wrote:
> If I absolutely position say an image, I can subsequently position
> something relative to that image. However if I use <center> to position
> the image, I don't seem to be able to relatively position something
> relative to that image. How should I proceed if I wish to do that?

You should not use the CENTER tag. You should use CSS.

Unfortunately my CSS skills are not sufficient to say how to
do what you want with CSS.

Arne

Zach

If I absolutely position say an image, I can subsequently position something
relative to that image. However if I use <center> to position the image, I
don't seem to be able to relatively position something relative to that
image. How should I proceed if I wish to do that?

Zach.

Arne Vajh°j

On 5/12/2012 7:24 PM, Zach wrote:
> "Arne Vajh°j" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4fadad04$0$295$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 5/11/2012 9:46 PM, Zach wrote:
>>> If I absolutely position say an image, I can subsequently position
>>> something relative to that image. However if I use <center> to position
>>> the image, I don't seem to be able to relatively position something
>>> relative to that image. How should I proceed if I wish to do that?

>> You should not use the CENTER tag. You should use CSS.
>>
>> Unfortunately my CSS skills are not sufficient to say how to
>> do what you want with CSS.

> Yes, I did use css --- I used <center> once to position one element, and
> positioned the subsequent element relative to the one centred element -
> using css, I also used css for subsequent elements. However it doesn't
> work. So now I am wondering, how, using CSS and relative positioning,
> you can engineer the site in such a way that it centres when the screen
> is maximised / minimised.

Try replace the center tag with some CSS and ask the question
in a HTML/CSS group.

It is not ASP.NET specific so ant HTML/CSS expert should be
able to help.

Arne

PS: The alternative to replacing the center tag is to put
on the asbestos suit.

Zach

"Arne Vajh°j" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4fadad04$0$295$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 5/11/2012 9:46 PM, Zach wrote:
>> If I absolutely position say an image, I can subsequently position
>> something relative to that image. However if I use <center> to position
>> the image, I don't seem to be able to relatively position something
>> relative to that image. How should I proceed if I wish to do that?

> You should not use the CENTER tag. You should use CSS.
>
> Unfortunately my CSS skills are not sufficient to say how to
> do what you want with CSS.
>
> Arne

Arne,

Yes, I did use css --- I used <center> once to position one element, and
positioned the subsequent element relative to the one centred element -
using css, I also used css for subsequent elements. However it doesn't work.
So now I am wondering, how, using CSS and relative positioning, you can
engineer the site in such a way that it centres when the screen is maximised
/ minimised.
Regards,

Zach.

Zach

"Arne Vajh°j" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4faed98c$0$285$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 5/12/2012 7:24 PM, Zach wrote:
>> "Arne Vajh°j" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4fadad04$0$295$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> You should not use the CENTER tag. You should use CSS.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately my CSS skills are not sufficient to say how to
>>> do what you want with CSS.

>> Yes, I did use css --- I used <center> once to position one element, and
>> positioned the subsequent element relative to the one centred element -
>> using css, I also used css for subsequent elements. However it doesn't
>> work. So now I am wondering, how, using CSS and relative positioning,
>> you can engineer the site in such a way that it centres when the screen
>> is maximised / minimised.

> Try replace the center tag with some CSS and ask the question
> in a HTML/CSS group.
>
> It is not ASP.NET specific so ant HTML/CSS expert should be
> able to help.
>
> Arne
>
> PS: The alternative to replacing the center tag is to put
> on the asbestos suit.

OK.

PS Women don't want me dressed, and like the enter tag as it is.

Zach