Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Interesting Leica product announcements today ...

Interesting Leica product announcements today ...

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> 1. Leica M Monochrom, with 18 MP black and white full frame sensor. No
> need for a Bayer pattern, no AA filter, no interpolation. Low noise
> up to ISO 10,000.

Niche product, needs filters on the lens (instead of being able
to do that in post) which negates the high ISO partially or fully.

I wish them luck. There should be more dedicated monochrome
cameras.

No AA filter also means that the:

> 2. Leica Summicron 50mm f/2 ASPH. The first 50mm Summicron with an
> aspherical element. The previous (pre-ASPH) model was one of the
> sharpest lenses ever made. This one will be even better.

won't be a good match outside controlled situations where aliasing
can be detected before the situation has ended.

-Wolfgang

Noons

Bruce wrote,on my timestamp of 11/05/2012 5:50 AM:

> 1. Leica M Monochrom, with 18 MP black and white full frame sensor. No
> need for a Bayer pattern, no AA filter, no interpolation. Low noise
> up to ISO 10,000.

Hmmm.... I can see already plans for a Photoshop add-on tool to merge together
three images taken with R,G,B filters. Kinda like a modern autochrome @ 10000.

> 2. Leica Summicron 50mm f/2 ASPH. The first 50mm Summicron with an
> aspherical element. The previous (pre-ASPH) model was one of the
> sharpest lenses ever made. This one will be even better.

Yummy! Pity the price...

David Dyer-Bennet

Noons <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Bruce wrote,on my timestamp of 11/05/2012 5:50 AM:
>

>> 1. Leica M Monochrom, with 18 MP black and white full frame sensor. No
>> need for a Bayer pattern, no AA filter, no interpolation. Low noise
>> up to ISO 10,000.

> Hmmm.... I can see already plans for a Photoshop add-on tool to merge
> together three images taken with R,G,B filters. Kinda like a modern
> autochrome @ 10000.

It's easy enough to do without any special tool. I did it testing my
theories about what caused certain background effects in the famous
Prokudin-Gorsky photos (<http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/>); my RGB
merges are at <http://dd-b.net/ddbcms/2001/05/composite-color/>.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed); http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

Trevor

"Noons" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:joj01p$m9p$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> 1. Leica M Monochrom, with 18 MP black and white full frame sensor. No
>> need for a Bayer pattern, no AA filter, no interpolation. Low noise
>> up to ISO 10,000.

> Hmmm.... I can see already plans for a Photoshop add-on tool to merge
> together three images taken with R,G,B filters. Kinda like a modern
> autochrome @ 10000.

Leica will be glad if there really are people that stupid, but somehow I
doubt that's the target market!

>> 2. Leica Summicron 50mm f/2 ASPH. The first 50mm Summicron with an
>> aspherical element. The previous (pre-ASPH) model was one of the
>> sharpest lenses ever made. This one will be even better.

> Yummy! Pity the price...

What did you expect from Leica, Sigma prices?
You really are dreaming!

Trevor.

Trevor

"David Dyer-Bennet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hmmm.... I can see already plans for a Photoshop add-on tool to merge
>> together three images taken with R,G,B filters. Kinda like a modern
>> autochrome @ 10000.

> It's easy enough to do without any special tool. I did it testing my
> theories about what caused certain background effects in the famous
> Prokudin-Gorsky photos (<http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/>); my RGB
> merges are at <http://dd-b.net/ddbcms/2001/05/composite-color/>.

And I used to do it for special effects 40 years ago, I sure as hell don't
need to do it for normal photo's though.
And I'm even more sure I don't need to buy a Mono Leica to take color
photo's!
Now B&W photography where that 10,000 ISO would be really usable might be
another matter however, but only if Canon or Nikon decided to offer a body
with such a sensor.

Trevor.

PeterN

On 5/11/2012 10:44 AM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> Noons<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> Bruce wrote,on my timestamp of 11/05/2012 5:50 AM:
>>

>>> 1. Leica M Monochrom, with 18 MP black and white full frame sensor. No
>>> need for a Bayer pattern, no AA filter, no interpolation. Low noise
>>> up to ISO 10,000.

>> Hmmm.... I can see already plans for a Photoshop add-on tool to merge
>> together three images taken with R,G,B filters. Kinda like a modern
>> autochrome @ 10000.

> It's easy enough to do without any special tool. I did it testing my
> theories about what caused certain background effects in the famous
> Prokudin-Gorsky photos (<http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/>); my RGB
> merges are at<http://dd-b.net/ddbcms/2001/05/composite-color/>.

Interesting experiments.

--
Peter

Laszlo Lebrun

On 11/05/2012 13:37, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
> Niche product, needs filters on the lens (instead of being able
> to do that in post) which negates the high ISO partially or fully.

Filters on the lens will be needed in some very specific situations
(landscapes, studio) for those a high ISO usually don't be required.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Mxsmanic
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > The omission of an AA filter is typical Leica marketing, particularly on a
> > camera designed for high-quality lenses where the need for such a filter
> > is greater. At least the more objectionable colour artefacts will be
> > missing as it's a monochrome camera.

> Any artifacts from aliasing can be corrected in post.

no they can't

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Niche product, needs filters on the lens (instead of being able
> > to do that in post) which negates the high ISO partially or fully.

> What filters are needed on the lens?

usual ones for b/w are red or yellow, but also polarizer and others.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Great specs, but the images look like crap on DP Review. What a waste.

> Eighteen megapixels is low resolution for monochrome. I used to shoot
> Technical Pan in B&W, which will blow 18 megapixels away easily.

no it won't. according to roger clark, tech pan is roughly equivalent
to 16-18 mp.