Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Interesting Leica product announcements today ...

Interesting Leica product announcements today ...

Bruce

.... but I cannot reveal what they are. Sorry!

The news is embargoed worldwide until Leica product seminars across
the USA have concluded.

I will say that the product news is well worth waiting for. It shows
that Leica are working hard and investing for a strong future.

Bruce

Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>... but I cannot reveal what they are. Sorry!
>
>The news is embargoed worldwide until Leica product seminars across
>the USA have concluded.
>
>I will say that the product news is well worth waiting for. It shows
>that Leica are working hard and investing for a strong future.

The deadline has passed and the three products announced today can be
revealed:

1. Leica M Monochrom, with 18 MP black and white full frame sensor. No
need for a Bayer pattern, no AA filter, no interpolation. Low noise
up to ISO 10,000.

2. Leica Summicron 50mm f/2 ASPH. The first 50mm Summicron with an
aspherical element. The previous (pre-ASPH) model was one of the
sharpest lenses ever made. This one will be even better.

3. Leica X2 autofocus compact P&S with 16 MP APS-C sensor (up from the
12 MP of the X1), 24mm f/2.8 lens (full frame equivalent focal length
of 35mm) and a socket for an accessory EVF.

The seminar will continue tomorrow and may include further
announcements. However the M10 rangefinder and new mirrorless system
camera/lenses are unlikely to appear before Photokina in September.

Rol_Lei Nut

On 5/10/2012 21:50, Bruce wrote:
> Bruce<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> 1. Leica M Monochrom, with 18 MP black and white full frame sensor. No
> need for a Bayer pattern, no AA filter, no interpolation. Low noise
> up to ISO 10,000.
>
> 2. Leica Summicron 50mm f/2 ASPH. The first 50mm Summicron with an
> aspherical element. The previous (pre-ASPH) model was one of the
> sharpest lenses ever made. This one will be even better.
>
> 3. Leica X2 autofocus compact P&S with 16 MP APS-C sensor (up from the
> 12 MP of the X1), 24mm f/2.8 lens (full frame equivalent focal length
> of 35mm) and a socket for an accessory EVF.

None of them seem especially interesting....

1) B&W is the main area where film can remain distinct from digital (an
argument could be made for colour slides as well, but the classic "slide
show" is had to get across now). Part of it is the ease of home
processing (at least negative developing), part the fascinaton of the
process itself and part the final results - a good B&W "wet print" is
still unmatched by any other digital-compatible printing process.
The problem is, for the price of the M Monochrom, you can buy lots (and
really lots) of film.

2) Good news, if you like the 50mm FL...

3) Lots of very good competition in that sector. The Leica is unlikely
to make any breakthrough there, either.

Seriously now, when will some manufacturer come out with a full-frame
EVIL camera which will accept any 35mm format lens ever made?

MC

Bruce wrote:

> Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > ... but I cannot reveal what they are. Sorry!
> >
> > The news is embargoed worldwide until Leica product seminars across
> > the USA have concluded.
> >
> > I will say that the product news is well worth waiting for. It
> > shows that Leica are working hard and investing for a strong future.

> The deadline has passed and the three products announced today can be
> revealed:
>
> 1. Leica M Monochrom, with 18 MP black and white full frame sensor. No
> need for a Bayer pattern, no AA filter, no interpolation. Low noise
> up to ISO 10,000.
>
> 2. Leica Summicron 50mm f/2 ASPH. The first 50mm Summicron with an
> aspherical element. The previous (pre-ASPH) model was one of the
> sharpest lenses ever made. This one will be even better.
>
> 3. Leica X2 autofocus compact P&S with 16 MP APS-C sensor (up from the
> 12 MP of the X1), 24mm f/2.8 lens (full frame equivalent focal length
> of 35mm) and a socket for an accessory EVF.
>
> The seminar will continue tomorrow and may include further
> announcements. However the M10 rangefinder and new mirrorless system
> camera/lenses are unlikely to appear before Photokina in September.

I can't help but feel that a monochrome M is a going into a very niche
market, especially at the price. There are going to be very few
situations which are going to require such precise b&w imagery from a
rangefinder especially when you can, with effort, get an "as near as
damn it" b&w image using post processing and at a fraction of the
price. There will be very few people who will be able to tell the
difference with the naked eye anyway.

Will it sell? Maybe. With Leica's track record and with a few people
still around with more money that sense, it could do OK. However, I
shall not be putting it on my list to Santa.

MC

Trevor

"Rol_Lei Nut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> 1. Leica M Monochrom, with 18 MP black and white full frame sensor. No
>> need for a Bayer pattern, no AA filter, no interpolation. Low noise
>> up to ISO 10,000.

> 1) B&W is the main area where film can remain distinct from digital (an
> argument could be made for colour slides as well, but the classic "slide
> show" is had to get across now). Part of it is the ease of home processing
> (at least negative developing), part the fascinaton of the process itself
> and part the final results - a good B&W "wet print" is still unmatched by
> any other digital-compatible printing process.
> The problem is, for the price of the M Monochrom, you can buy lots (and
> really lots) of film.

But where can you buy film that has "low noise up to 10,000 ISO" with
resolution to match an 18MP camera?
Like *ALL* Leica equipment though, it's not for everyone.

Trevor.

Nick Fotis

On 10/05/2012 22:50, Bruce wrote:

> 1. Leica M Monochrom, with 18 MP black and white full frame sensor. No
> need for a Bayer pattern, no AA filter, no interpolation. Low noise
> up to ISO 10,000.

This reminds me the Kodak DCS760M, which was probably the best
black&white CCD camera.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...dak-760m.shtml

N.F.

PeterN

On 5/10/2012 12:44 PM, Bruce wrote:
> ... but I cannot reveal what they are. Sorry!
>
> The news is embargoed worldwide until Leica product seminars across
> the USA have concluded.
>
> I will say that the product news is well worth waiting for. It shows
> that Leica are working hard and investing for a strong future.

And the purpose for your posting is?

--
Peter

RichA

On May 10, 7:09*pm, Noons <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On May 11, 8:41*am, "Trevor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > > The problem is, for the price of the M Monochrom, you can buy lots (and
> > > really lots) of film.

> Very true.
>
> > But where can you buy film that has "low noise up to 10,000 ISO" with
> > resolution to match an 18MP camera?

> And who the heck would need ISO 10000?

Someone replicating Tri-X grain?

Mike Benveniste

On 5/10/2012 7:09 PM, PeterN wrote:

> And the purpose for your posting is?

To demonstrate that he reads LeicaRumors.com, I guess.

--
Mike Benveniste -- http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Clarification Required)
You don't have to sort of enhance reality. There is nothing

David J Taylor

"Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[]
> 1. Leica M Monochrom, with 18 MP black and white full frame sensor. No
> need for a Bayer pattern, no AA filter, no interpolation. Low noise
> up to ISO 10,000.

The omission of an AA filter is typical Leica marketing, particularly on a
camera designed for high-quality lenses where the need for such a filter
is greater. At least the more objectionable colour artefacts will be
missing as it's a monochrome camera.

David