Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Question about Skype

Question about Skype

Anthony R. Gold

I use Skype (now Version 5.9) to chat to friends and relatives around the
world. I just added a camera and its image is confusing me. In My Computer,
and to others with whom I am chatting, the video image is correct. But only
in my own Skype monitor window my image is mirror reversed. My friends tell
me that their self-images are correct. Is this a bug or a settings error?

Graham.

On Mon, 07 May 2012 18:56:06 +0100, "Anthony R. Gold"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I use Skype (now Version 5.9) to chat to friends and relatives around the
>world. I just added a camera and its image is confusing me. In My Computer,
>and to others with whom I am chatting, the video image is correct. But only
>in my own Skype monitor window my image is mirror reversed. My friends tell
>me that their self-images are correct. Is this a bug or a settings error?

The way you described it is exatly what I get here, frankly I think
your frends are less observent than you are, and dare I say it, if
they are female they probebly expect their preview image to be like a
mirror which is probebly why Skype makes it that way.

In the driver properties of my webcam I can flip the image and then
its laterally inverted as transmitted, but correct on the preview.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Roger Mills

On 07/05/2012 18:56, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
> I use Skype (now Version 5.9) to chat to friends and relatives around the
> world. I just added a camera and its image is confusing me. In My Computer,
> and to others with whom I am chatting, the video image is correct. But only
> in my own Skype monitor window my image is mirror reversed. My friends tell
> me that their self-images are correct. Is this a bug or a settings error?

Depends what you mean by "correct" or "inverted"!

What you should see on your screen is the same as the person the other
end sees - which is what the camera sees. It's *not* supposed to appear
to you like looking in a mirror[1]. If you hold up your right hand, it
should appear on the left of the screen so that it looks correct to
anyone who is facing you.

So, is yours correct or not? You say that it's correct in your computer
but reversed in your Skype monitor window. You've totally lost me,
there. How do you know what it's like in your computer other than what
your Skype monitor window is displaying?

[1] In the advanced settings for my Logitech webcam, there's an option
to show a mirror image - but that's a camera feature, not a Skype
feature, and not all cameras have it. I haven't tried it, but I assume
that the person the other end would also see a mirror image. So if, for
example, I wanted to show them a printed document by holding it up to
the camera, the letters and words would all appear backwards - which
would be *very* useful, not!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Anthony R. Gold

On Mon, 07 May 2012 20:49:06 +0100, Roger Mills <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 07/05/2012 18:56, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
>> I use Skype (now Version 5.9) to chat to friends and relatives around the
>> world. I just added a camera and its image is confusing me. In My Computer,
>> and to others with whom I am chatting, the video image is correct. But only
>> in my own Skype monitor window my image is mirror reversed. My friends tell
>> me that their self-images are correct. Is this a bug or a settings error?

> Depends what you mean by "correct" or "inverted"!
>
> What you should see on your screen is the same as the person the other
> end sees - which is what the camera sees. It's *not* supposed to appear
> to you like looking in a mirror[1]. If you hold up your right hand, it
> should appear on the left of the screen so that it looks correct to
> anyone who is facing you.
>
> So, is yours correct or not? You say that it's correct in your computer
> but reversed in your Skype monitor window. You've totally lost me,
> there. How do you know what it's like in your computer other than what
> your Skype monitor window is displaying?
>
> [1] In the advanced settings for my Logitech webcam, there's an option
> to show a mirror image - but that's a camera feature, not a Skype
> feature, and not all cameras have it. I haven't tried it, but I assume
> that the person the other end would also see a mirror image. So if, for
> example, I wanted to show them a printed document by holding it up to
> the camera, the letters and words would all appear backwards - which
> would be *very* useful, not!

I am sorry that I lost you. I will try again:

1) In "My Computer" the video camera's image is correct.

2) In Skype's Tools/Options/Video Settings the image also is correct.

3) When I am online with two small video windows, one from the other party
and one as a monitor of my camera, the image from my camera is mirrored.

I believe that Graham's answer is correct.

Roger Mills

On 07/05/2012 21:08, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
> On Mon, 07 May 2012 20:49:06 +0100, Roger Mills<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 07/05/2012 18:56, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
>>> I use Skype (now Version 5.9) to chat to friends and relatives around the
>>> world. I just added a camera and its image is confusing me. In My Computer,
>>> and to others with whom I am chatting, the video image is correct. But only
>>> in my own Skype monitor window my image is mirror reversed. My friends tell
>>> me that their self-images are correct. Is this a bug or a settings error?

>> Depends what you mean by "correct" or "inverted"!
>>
>> What you should see on your screen is the same as the person the other
>> end sees - which is what the camera sees. It's *not* supposed to appear
>> to you like looking in a mirror[1]. If you hold up your right hand, it
>> should appear on the left of the screen so that it looks correct to
>> anyone who is facing you.
>>
>> So, is yours correct or not? You say that it's correct in your computer
>> but reversed in your Skype monitor window. You've totally lost me,
>> there. How do you know what it's like in your computer other than what
>> your Skype monitor window is displaying?
>>
>> [1] In the advanced settings for my Logitech webcam, there's an option
>> to show a mirror image - but that's a camera feature, not a Skype
>> feature, and not all cameras have it. I haven't tried it, but I assume
>> that the person the other end would also see a mirror image. So if, for
>> example, I wanted to show them a printed document by holding it up to
>> the camera, the letters and words would all appear backwards - which
>> would be *very* useful, not!

> I am sorry that I lost you. I will try again:
>
> 1) In "My Computer" the video camera's image is correct.
>
> 2) In Skype's Tools/Options/Video Settings the image also is correct.
>
> 3) When I am online with two small video windows, one from the other party
> and one as a monitor of my camera, the image from my camera is mirrored.
>
> I believe that Graham's answer is correct.

Yes, you're right! I've just done an experiment by setting up a Skype
video call between my computer and my wife's computer in the next room.

In the Skype tools/video settings box, the display is what the camera
sees, but when on-line, the monitor box displays a mirror image.
HOWEVER, the remote computer displays your picture the right way round.

I hadn't noticed this until you pointed it out. I can only assume that
Skype think that you are used to seeing yourself in a mirror, and wish
to look that way on your monitor screen.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Graham.

On Tue, 08 May 2012 22:36:30 +0100, Roger Mills <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 07/05/2012 21:08, Anthony R. Gold wrote:

>>> Depends what you mean by "correct" or "inverted"!
>>>
>>> What you should see on your screen is the same as the person the other
>>> end sees - which is what the camera sees. It's *not* supposed to appear
>>> to you like looking in a mirror[1]. If you hold up your right hand, it
>>> should appear on the left of the screen so that it looks correct to
>>> anyone who is facing you.
>>>
>>> So, is yours correct or not? You say that it's correct in your computer
>>> but reversed in your Skype monitor window. You've totally lost me,
>>> there. How do you know what it's like in your computer other than what
>>> your Skype monitor window is displaying?
>>>
>>> [1] In the advanced settings for my Logitech webcam, there's an option
>>> to show a mirror image - but that's a camera feature, not a Skype
>>> feature, and not all cameras have it. I haven't tried it, but I assume
>>> that the person the other end would also see a mirror image. So if, for
>>> example, I wanted to show them a printed document by holding it up to
>>> the camera, the letters and words would all appear backwards - which
>>> would be *very* useful, not!

>> I am sorry that I lost you. I will try again:
>>
>> 1) In "My Computer" the video camera's image is correct.
>>
>> 2) In Skype's Tools/Options/Video Settings the image also is correct.
>>
>> 3) When I am online with two small video windows, one from the other party
>> and one as a monitor of my camera, the image from my camera is mirrored.
>>
>> I believe that Graham's answer is correct.

>Yes, you're right! I've just done an experiment by setting up a Skype
>video call between my computer and my wife's computer in the next room.
>
>In the Skype tools/video settings box, the display is what the camera
>sees, but when on-line, the monitor box displays a mirror image.
>HOWEVER, the remote computer displays your picture the right way round.
>
>I hadn't noticed this until you pointed it out. I can only assume that
>Skype think that you are used to seeing yourself in a mirror, and wish
>to look that way on your monitor screen.

I have two skype clients on this machine, one conventionally
installed, and the other runs in a XP virtual machine with some SIP to
Skype gateway software.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Ria Elaine Jones

On 08/05/12 22:36, Roger Mills wrote:

> In the Skype tools/video settings box, the display is what the camera
> sees, but when on-line, the monitor box displays a mirror image.
> HOWEVER, the remote computer displays your picture the right way round.
>
> I hadn't noticed this until you pointed it out. I can only assume that
> Skype think that you are used to seeing yourself in a mirror, and wish
> to look that way on your monitor screen.

I've never used Skype, but the video chat feature of Google mail works
exactly the same, i.e. I see myself as a mirror image but the remote end
sees me correctly

I thought this was how it was supposed to work, but then I'm only a
silly girl

Ria xx

Anthony R. Gold

On Sun, 27 May 2012 17:05:26 +0100, Ria Elaine Jones
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 08/05/12 22:36, Roger Mills wrote:
>
>> In the Skype tools/video settings box, the display is what the camera
>> sees, but when on-line, the monitor box displays a mirror image.
>> HOWEVER, the remote computer displays your picture the right way round.
>>
>> I hadn't noticed this until you pointed it out. I can only assume that
>> Skype think that you are used to seeing yourself in a mirror, and wish
>> to look that way on your monitor screen.

> I've never used Skype, but the video chat feature of Google mail works
> exactly the same, i.e. I see myself as a mirror image but the remote end
> sees me correctly
>
> I thought this was how it was supposed to work, but then I'm only a
> silly girl

Your intuition was 20/20 and we must blame my cursed Y chromosome for making
me ask the question.

Ria Elaine Jones

On 27/05/12 17:50, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
> On Sun, 27 May 2012 17:05:26 +0100, Ria Elaine Jones
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 08/05/12 22:36, Roger Mills wrote:
>>
>>> In the Skype tools/video settings box, the display is what the camera
>>> sees, but when on-line, the monitor box displays a mirror image.
>>> HOWEVER, the remote computer displays your picture the right way round.
>>>
>>> I hadn't noticed this until you pointed it out. I can only assume that
>>> Skype think that you are used to seeing yourself in a mirror, and wish
>>> to look that way on your monitor screen.

>> I've never used Skype, but the video chat feature of Google mail works
>> exactly the same, i.e. I see myself as a mirror image but the remote end
>> sees me correctly
>>
>> I thought this was how it was supposed to work, but then I'm only a
>> silly girl

> Your intuition was 20/20 and we must blame my cursed Y chromosome for making
> me ask the question.

Those Y chromosomes get everywhere

Ria xx