Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Dpreview's current venue is low-rent compared to London

Dpreview's current venue is low-rent compared to London

Bruce

Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>But the "London Bridge" that was sold to an
>American developer (and thereafter reconstructed in Arizona) apparently had
>enough historical significance that many Brits were upset about it when the
>sale took place.

It was a very handsome bridge, so it isn't surprising that people
missed it. Its designer was the eminent Victorian civil engineer John
Rennie who designed many fine structures. I spent several days last
week exploring and photographing the Kennet and Avon Canal which was
one of Rennie's projects.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Rennie_(engineer)>

The 1970s replacement London Bridge is quite ugly. That would only
encourage a sense of loss among Londoners for the handsome old
structure. But I doubt that anyone missed the old bridge's lack of
capacity and the chronic traffic congestion that resulted. It was
also close to collapse as the foundations were failing.

So it is better to have a modern bridge with higher capacity, even if
it is ugly. Better to have that than an elegant Victorian structure
that could not cope with modern conditions.

The "London Bridge" in Arizona is a bit of a fraud. It is a modern
reinforced concrete structure that is clad in stone from Rennie's
London Bridge to give it the appearance of a Victorian stone bridge.
It looks nice, but what lies beneath is very modern.

Bruce

Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You hear a lot of talk about Leica glass beating other glass

Ignore talk. Evidence is all that matters.

J. Clarke

> On 07/05/2012 04:45, Trevor wrote:
> > "Doug McDonald"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:jo7a4o$ijn$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>>

> >> Not THE London Bridge, however.

> > He already said there have been *many* since AD50, so there is *NO* "THE
> > London Bridge", just one of many, which now happens to be in the USA.
> > (and obviously not "THE London Bridge" since it's not in London!!!)

> London Bridge is nowadays more commonly used as a place name than as a
> reference to the actual bridge anyway. I believe the Borough of
> Southwark refers to the whole area south of the Pool between London
> Bridge and Tower Bridge as "London Bridge".

Further, the one in the US is a modern reinforced concrete bridge with a
veneer of stones from the one in London.

Bruce

Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Mon, 07 May 2012 00:54:54 +0100, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>>Sorry to disappoint you Doug, but London Bridge is today carrying
>>vehicles and pedestrians across the River Thames in London, England:
>>http://g.co/maps/nkfvx

>Wasn't the original relocated to and rebuilt in Lake havasu, AZ?

The "original" was a pontoon bridge built by the Romans c. AD 50. They
apparently built a piled bridge on the same site 5 years later.

There have been many structures called "London Bridge". The one in
Arizona is a bit of a fraud, being a modern reinforced concrete
structure that is merely faced with some of the stones that made up
the Victorian "London Bridge" designed by John Rennie that was
completed in 1831 and served until it was replaced by a modern
structure which opened in 1973.

John A.

On Tue, 08 May 2012 00:51:57 +0100, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Bowser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On Mon, 07 May 2012 00:54:54 +0100, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:
>>>Sorry to disappoint you Doug, but London Bridge is today carrying
>>>vehicles and pedestrians across the River Thames in London, England:
>>>http://g.co/maps/nkfvx

>>Wasn't the original relocated to and rebuilt in Lake havasu, AZ?

>The "original" was a pontoon bridge built by the Romans c. AD 50. They
>apparently built a piled bridge on the same site 5 years later.
>
>There have been many structures called "London Bridge". The one in
>Arizona is a bit of a fraud, being a modern reinforced concrete
>structure that is merely faced with some of the stones that made up
>the Victorian "London Bridge" designed by John Rennie that was
>completed in 1831 and served until it was replaced by a modern
>structure which opened in 1973.

So which structure was there the longest? Did any survive longer than
that one's ~140 years?

Trevor

"John A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> So which structure was there the longest? Did any survive longer than
> that one's ~140 years?

I have no idea, but would be willing to bet a few lasted more than that
given it's over two millenia since the first.
Frequency of repairs might be another matter however

Trevor.

Joe Kotroczo

On 08/05/2012 01:38, John A. wrote:
> On Tue, 08 May 2012 00:51:57 +0100, Bruce<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Bowser<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> Wasn't the original relocated to and rebuilt in Lake havasu, AZ?

>> The "original" was a pontoon bridge built by the Romans c. AD 50. They
>> apparently built a piled bridge on the same site 5 years later.
>>
>> There have been many structures called "London Bridge". The one in
>> Arizona is a bit of a fraud, being a modern reinforced concrete
>> structure that is merely faced with some of the stones that made up
>> the Victorian "London Bridge" designed by John Rennie that was
>> completed in 1831 and served until it was replaced by a modern
>> structure which opened in 1973.

> So which structure was there the longest? Did any survive longer than
> that one's ~140 years?

Well, the medieval stone bridge was there from 1173 until 1824, but that
would have been a constant work in progress.

--
Illegitimi non carborundum

Bruce

Joe Kotroczo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 08/05/2012 01:38, John A. wrote:
>> On Tue, 08 May 2012 00:51:57 +0100, Bruce<(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> The "original" was a pontoon bridge built by the Romans c. AD 50. They
>>> apparently built a piled bridge on the same site 5 years later.
>>>
>>> There have been many structures called "London Bridge". The one in
>>> Arizona is a bit of a fraud, being a modern reinforced concrete
>>> structure that is merely faced with some of the stones that made up
>>> the Victorian "London Bridge" designed by John Rennie that was
>>> completed in 1831 and served until it was replaced by a modern
>>> structure which opened in 1973.

>> So which structure was there the longest? Did any survive longer than
>> that one's ~140 years?

>Well, the medieval stone bridge was there from 1173 until 1824, but that
>would have been a constant work in progress.

Indeed, records suggest that it was a constant battle against failing
foundations, collapsing spans and overloading from building stores and
other businesses along each side of the bridge to the point that it
offered no view of the river to anyone crossing it. It must have been
quite a sight.

Whisky-dave

On May 7, 4:45*am, "Trevor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Doug McDonald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:jo7a4o$ijn$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > On 5/6/2012 6:54 PM, Bruce wrote:
> >> Sorry to disappoint you Doug, but London Bridge is today carrying
> >> vehicles and pedestrians across the River Thames in London, England:
> >>http://g.co/maps/nkfvx

> > Not THE London Bridge, however.

> He already said there have been *many* since AD50, so there is *NO* "THE
> London Bridge", just one of many, which now happens to be in the USA.
> (and obviously not "THE London Bridge" since it's not in London!!!)

http://miki-garcia.suite101.com/lond...merica-a222324

When I get a 48 bus to London Bridge it doesn't end up in the USA.

PeterN

On 5/6/2012 10:10 PM, Robert Coe wrote:

> :

<snip

> I don't quite get your point, Bruce. Nobody, including Doug, suggested that
> Tower Bridge is in the U.S. But the "London Bridge" that was sold to an
> American developer (and thereafter reconstructed in Arizona) apparently had
> enough historical significance that many Brits were upset about it when the
> sale took place.

Brucie would rather be snippy than accurate.

--
Peter