Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Steve's Digicams Old Website

Steve's Digicams Old Website

The Real Bev

You used to be able to check off features you wanted (AA batts,
viewfinder, 3" screen etc) and end up with a list of the cameras that
meet your requirements along with detailed reviews thereof.

I just looked at his site again after at least a year. Is that feature
still there and I was just too dumb to find it, or if he killed it is
there any other site that does that now?

I don't need a new camera yet, but you never can tell when you're going
to drop it (Canon A720IS) on a rock

--
Cheers, Bev
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

MG

"The Real Bev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jnuvj1$4e3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> You used to be able to check off features you wanted (AA batts,
> viewfinder, 3" screen etc) and end up with a list of the cameras that meet
> your requirements along with detailed reviews thereof.
>
> I just looked at his site again after at least a year. Is that feature
> still there and I was just too dumb to find it, or if he killed it is
> there any other site that does that now?

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/cameras

It takes a lttle getting used to when using it for the first time, but works
well once you have figured it out.

--
MG

The Real Bev

On 05/03/2012 11:22 PM, MG wrote:

> "The Real Bev"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jnuvj1$4e3$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You used to be able to check off features you wanted (AA batts,
>> viewfinder, 3" screen etc) and end up with a list of the cameras that meet
>> your requirements along with detailed reviews thereof.
>>
>> I just looked at his site again after at least a year. Is that feature
>> still there and I was just too dumb to find it, or if he killed it is
>> there any other site that does that now?

> http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/cameras
>
> It takes a lttle getting used to when using it for the first time, but works
> well once you have figured it out.

Very small list. I don't think Steve ever dropped anything off, and I'm
willing to buy used or older tech. I don't see how people get along in
daylight without a viewfinder, and most reasonably-priced (under $400)
cameras just don't have them any more. The one on my Canon A720IS is a
bit off close-up, but it's way easier to use than the screen (even after
I added the anti-reflective film).

My 4x5/120 Speed Graphic spoiled me

--
Cheers, Bev
Will give investment advice for food.

MG

>> http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/cameras
>>
>> It takes a lttle getting used to when using it for the first time, but
>> works
>> well once you have figured it out.

> Very small list. I don't think Steve ever dropped anything off, and I'm
> willing to buy used or older tech.

Near the top left is a check box labeled "Include discontinued". Then you
have plenty to choose from.

> I don't see how people get along in daylight without a viewfinder, and
> most reasonably-priced (under $400) cameras just don't have them any more.

For this you can use
http://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras
Sorry, I was a bit confused earlier. This is the one that takes bit of
effort to work out. It works well once you have learned how to use it.

--
MG

The Real Bev

On 05/04/2012 01:21 PM, MG wrote:

>>> http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/cameras
>>>
>>> It takes a lttle getting used to when using it for the first time, but
>>> works well once you have figured it out.

>> Very small list. I don't think Steve ever dropped anything off, and I'm
>> willing to buy used or older tech.

> Near the top left is a check box labeled "Include discontinued". Then you
> have plenty to choose from.

I couldn't find that. Got the URL?

The 'camera store' page gives a lot of search options, but nothing like
he/it used to. Any camera I buy MUST have a viewfinder and AA
batteries. Those search options weren't available.

>> I don't see how people get along in daylight without a viewfinder, and
>> most reasonably-priced (under $400) cameras just don't have them any more.

> For this you can use
> http://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras
> Sorry, I was a bit confused earlier. This is the one that takes bit of
> effort to work out. It works well once you have learned how to use it.

It's better, but couldn't find a better camera than my Canon A720IS,
which had better last forever.

--
Cheers, Bev

"I love this country...
...and the freedoms we used to have..."
--George Carlin

MG

"The Real Bev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jo2co5$743$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Very small list. I don't think Steve ever dropped anything off, and
>>> I'm
>>> willing to buy used or older tech.

>> Near the top left is a check box labeled "Include discontinued". Then you
>> have plenty to choose from.

> I couldn't find that. Got the URL?

The one mentioned above ie:
http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/cameras

> The 'camera store' page gives a lot of search options, but nothing like
> he/it used to. Any camera I buy MUST have a viewfinder and AA batteries.
> Those search options weren't available.

Both these options are available on the URL mentioned below ie
http://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras

>>> I don't see how people get along in daylight without a viewfinder, and
>>> most reasonably-priced (under $400) cameras just don't have them any
>>> more.

>> For this you can use
>> http://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras
>> Sorry, I was a bit confused earlier. This is the one that takes bit of
>> effort to work out. It works well once you have learned how to use it.

> It's better, but couldn't find a better camera than my Canon A720IS, which
> had better last forever.

The Real Bev

On 05/04/2012 11:02 PM, MG wrote:

> "The Real Bev"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jo2co5$743$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Near the top left is a check box labeled "Include discontinued". Then you
>>> have plenty to choose from.

>> I couldn't find that. Got the URL?

> The one mentioned above ie:
> http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/cameras

Found it! I guess I didn't look down+right far enough.

>> The 'camera store' page gives a lot of search options, but nothing like
>> he/it used to. Any camera I buy MUST have a viewfinder and AA batteries.
>> Those search options weren't available.

> Both these options are available on the URL mentioned below ie
> http://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras

Ditto. Clicking 'discontinued' added in only one camera -- a Kodak. I
love Kodak and it's tremendously sad to see what's happened to it. We
have two Medalists and when we had long-run xeroxing done the Kodak
machines did it better than any other brand. Still, the cameras are
orphans now.

>>> For this you can use
>>> http://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras
>>> Sorry, I was a bit confused earlier. This is the one that takes bit of
>>> effort to work out. It works well once you have learned how to use it.

>> It's better, but couldn't find a better camera than my Canon A720IS, which
>> had better last forever.

Ebay has them for ~$40-$50. Ponder...

--
Cheers, Bev