Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > which charset to use?

which charset to use?

richard

The w3.org validator is having fits with special characters.
The page is currently using utf-8.
When it comes an e with the apostrophe over it, or some other character
with a secondary character over it, it fails to validate.
So which charset is proper for an xhtml transitional page for these
characters?

http://www.1littleworld.net/songs/Asongs.html

Kim André Akerø

På Tue, 01 May 2012 20:31:56 +0200, skrev richard <(E-Mail Removed)>:

> The w3.org validator is having fits with special characters.
> The page is currently using utf-8.
> When it comes an e with the apostrophe over it, or some other character
> with a secondary character over it, it fails to validate.
> So which charset is proper for an xhtml transitional page for these
> characters?
>
> http://www.1littleworld.net/songs/Asongs.html

ISO-8859-1 might be a good choice. Alternately, replace all such special
characters with HTML entities (using &eacute; for é, for instance).

A list of entities can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ity_references
or here:
http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_entities.asp

--
Kim André Akerø
- http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Doug Miller

richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:ty1lmmgy8tv2$.3dluxr9xmy65$.dlg@
40tude.net:

> The w3.org validator is having fits with special characters.
> The page is currently using utf-8.
> When it comes an e with the apostrophe over it, or some other character
> with a secondary character over it, it fails to validate.

This is probably because you coded the character incorrectly in your HTML.

If you want, for example, an e with an accent grave (not "e with the apostrophe over it"), you
should write &egrave; or è instead of attempting to insert the actual hex representation
of the e-grave (0xE in your source document.

> So which charset is proper for an xhtml transitional page for these
> characters?

UTF-8, combined with valid HTML.

> http://www.1littleworld.net/songs/Asongs.html

Doug Miller

Doug Miller <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

Sorry, hit 'send' just a bit too soon. Table of valid HTML
characters can be found here:

http://www.lookuptables.com/

On Tue, 1 May 2012 21:44:23 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller wrote:

> Doug Miller <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
> Sorry, hit 'send' just a bit too soon. Table of valid HTML
> characters can be found here:
>
> http://www.lookuptables.com/
>

>> richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:ty1lmmgy8tv2$.3dluxr9xmy65$.dlg@ 40tude.net:
>>
>>> The w3.org validator is having fits with special characters.
>>> The page is currently using utf-8.
>>> When it comes an e with the apostrophe over it, or some other
>>> character with a secondary character over it, it fails to
>>> validate.

>> This is probably because you coded the character incorrectly in
>> your HTML.
>>
>> If you want, for example, an e with an accent grave (not "e with
>> the apostrophe over it"), you should write &egrave; or è
>> instead of attempting to insert the actual hex representation
>> of the e-grave (0xE in your source document.
>>
>>> So which charset is proper for an xhtml transitional page for
>>> these characters?

>> UTF-8, combined with valid HTML.
>>

>>> http://www.1littleworld.net/songs/Asongs.html

explain then how come when I replaced the e' with the regular e, the code
now shows a ? in inverted colors?
"e" is not a standard utf-8 character?
since when?

Doug Miller

richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1h4f9mzzj2yjb.yr6t6w4e5u3f$.dlg@
40tude.net:

> On Tue, 1 May 2012 21:44:23 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller wrote:
>
>> Doug Miller <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>
>> Sorry, hit 'send' just a bit too soon. Table of valid HTML
>> characters can be found here:
>>
>> http://www.lookuptables.com/
>>

>>> richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> news:ty1lmmgy8tv2$.3dluxr9xmy65$.dlg@ 40tude.net:

>>> This is probably because you coded the character incorrectly in
>>> your HTML.
>>>
>>> If you want, for example, an e with an accent grave (not "e with
>>> the apostrophe over it"), you should write &egrave; or è
>>> instead of attempting to insert the actual hex representation
>>> of the e-grave (0xE in your source document.

>>> UTF-8, combined with valid HTML.

> explain then how come when I replaced the e' with the regular e,
> the code now shows a ? in inverted colors?

Maybe *you* should explain why the validator is still complaining about an invalid character
that you *claim* you replaced.

Look at your file. IT'S STILL THERE. Or perhaps it's another one. Regardless, you still have
invalid UTF-8 characters in the document.

> "e" is not a standard utf-8 character?

Of course it is. But è is NOT, and it's still in there, along with at least one other character that
*also* is not valid:

title="Raymond Lefèvre - Soul Coaxing (Ame Câline)"

Doug Miller

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, evan@*******************************.invalid wrote:
>On Tue, 1 May 2012 23:37:30 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Maybe *you* should explain why the validator is still complaining about an

> invalid character
>>that you *claim* you replaced.
>>
>>Look at your file. IT'S STILL THERE. Or perhaps it's another one. Regardless,

> you still have
>>invalid UTF-8 characters in the document.
>>
>>> "e" is not a standard utf-8 character?

>>Of course it is. But è is NOT, and it's still in there, along with at least

> one other character that
>>*also* is not valid:
>>
>>title="Raymond Lefèvre - Soul Coaxing (Ame Câline)"

>ROTFLOL, st00pid strikes again.

Evan, you're becoming a real pain in the ass. You NEVER contribute anything
useful to this newsgroup. The only posts you ever make are derogatory of
Richard. Yes, Richard is an ass -- but we don't need you to keep pointing it
out. We're all aware of it. Now just **** off.

Jukka K. Korpela

2012-05-02 0:44, Doug Miller wrote:

> Table of valid HTML
> characters can be found here:
>
> http://www.lookuptables.com/

No, it is just a poorly presented table of entities for some characters,
with some disinformation that is not pragmatically fatal but plain wrong
anyway.

The set of valid characters in HTML consists of all ISO 10646 and
Unicode characters except for a handful of control characters, though
XHTML imposes some more limitations.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Andreas Prilop

On Tue, 1 May 2012, richard wrote:

> So which charset is proper for an xhtml transitional page
> for these characters?
> http://www.1littleworld.net/songs/Asongs.html

Fix your silly dates first:
http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/iso-date

Which encoding (charset) to use is discussed here:
http://www.alanflavell.org.uk/charset/checklist.html
http://niwo.mnsys.org/saved/~flavell...checklist.html

--
In memoriam Alan J. Flavell
http://www.alanflavell.org.uk/charset/

Doug Miller

Andreas Prilop <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed) i-hannover.de:

> On Tue, 1 May 2012, richard wrote:
>
>> So which charset is proper for an xhtml transitional page
>> for these characters?
>> http://www.1littleworld.net/songs/Asongs.html

> Fix your silly dates first:

There's nothing the matter with his dates. This is purely a vanity site, apparently intended to be
viewed only by its author -- who is an American, and quite sensibly uses the date format most
commonly used in the United States.