Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Must Use Updateable Query

Must Use Updateable Query

Michael C#

Question - I keep getting the above error when I try to run an INSERT query
against an Access database. I'm running XP Professional and VS.NET 2003. I
run SELECT queries from ASP.NET against it all day long, and when I run the
INSERT query inside Access itself, it works fine. But for some reason when
I run it from within ASP.NET, I get the "Must Use Updateable Query" error.
I've tried searching and have also tried setting the permissions on the
directory to be as liberal as possible. Is there another security setting
I'm missing? Or is there an incompatibility with my query? Or some other
problem?

TIA.

Here's my code:

Dim Con As New OleDb.OleDbConnection
("PROVIDER="Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;DATA
SOURCE=""C:\InetPub\wwwroot\Test1\STORE.MDB"";USER ID=Admin;PASSWORD=;")
Con.Open()
Dim Cmd As New OleDb.OleDbCommand("INSERT INTO [tblOrder] ([CustomerID],
[Subtotal], [Tax], [Discount], [ShippingMethod], [ShippingCost], [Total],
[OrderDate], [ShipName], [ShipAddress], [ShipCity], [ShipState], [ShipZIP],
[CCNum], [CCExp]) VALUES (6, 190, 10.2885, 9.5, ""Express"", 10, 200.7885,
""1/15/2005 9:53:29 PM"", ""Joe Mocling"", """", ""Atlanta"", ""GA"", """",
"""", ""1/1/2005 12:00:00 AM"")", Con)
Cmd.ExecuteNonQuery()
Cmd.Dispose()
Con.Close()
Cmd.Dispose()

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Michael,

This is usually caused by the current user - ASP.NET not having sufficient
privileges in the directory where the .mdb file is located. Access needs to
create a locking file when it is run... that requires change permissions on
the file and directory.

"Michael C#" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8ZkGd.2079$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Question - I keep getting the above error when I try to run an INSERT
> query against an Access database. I'm running XP Professional and VS.NET
> 2003. I run SELECT queries from ASP.NET against it all day long, and when
> I run the INSERT query inside Access itself, it works fine. But for some
> reason when I run it from within ASP.NET, I get the "Must Use Updateable
> Query" error. I've tried searching and have also tried setting the
> permissions on the directory to be as liberal as possible. Is there
> another security setting I'm missing? Or is there an incompatibility with
> my query? Or some other problem?
>
> TIA.
>
> Here's my code:
>
> Dim Con As New OleDb.OleDbConnection
> ("PROVIDER="Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;DATA
> SOURCE=""C:\InetPub\wwwroot\Test1\STORE.MDB"";USER ID=Admin;PASSWORD=;")
> Con.Open()
> Dim Cmd As New OleDb.OleDbCommand("INSERT INTO [tblOrder] ([CustomerID],
> [Subtotal], [Tax], [Discount], [ShippingMethod], [ShippingCost], [Total],
> [OrderDate], [ShipName], [ShipAddress], [ShipCity], [ShipState],
> [ShipZIP], [CCNum], [CCExp]) VALUES (6, 190, 10.2885, 9.5, ""Express"",
> 10, 200.7885, ""1/15/2005 9:53:29 PM"", ""Joe Mocling"", """",
> ""Atlanta"", ""GA"", """", """", ""1/1/2005 12:00:00 AM"")", Con)
> Cmd.ExecuteNonQuery()
> Cmd.Dispose()
> Con.Close()
> Cmd.Dispose()

Michael C#

Thanks Ken, I found that link on a previous search. I've configured the
settings on this box and the web directory to be as liberal as possible, but
nothing seems to be working. I've changed the security settings in IIS to
allow everything and even gave the IUSR_ Administrator rights to see if that
was an issue. On the properties box in Windows Explorer for the folder,
I've allowed everything!

What security settings am I missing and how in the world can I set them in
XP Pro?

Thanks

"Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ueIqax3%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Michael,
>
> This is usually caused by the current user - ASP.NET not having sufficient
> privileges in the directory where the .mdb file is located. Access needs
> to create a locking file when it is run... that requires change
> permissions on the file and directory.

> "Michael C#" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:8ZkGd.2079$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Question - I keep getting the above error when I try to run an INSERT
>> query against an Access database. I'm running XP Professional and VS.NET
>> 2003. I run SELECT queries from ASP.NET against it all day long, and
>> when I run the INSERT query inside Access itself, it works fine. But for
>> some reason when I run it from within ASP.NET, I get the "Must Use
>> Updateable Query" error. I've tried searching and have also tried setting
>> the permissions on the directory to be as liberal as possible. Is there
>> another security setting I'm missing? Or is there an incompatibility
>> with my query? Or some other problem?
>>
>> TIA.
>>
>> Here's my code:
>>
>> Dim Con As New OleDb.OleDbConnection
>> ("PROVIDER="Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;DATA
>> SOURCE=""C:\InetPub\wwwroot\Test1\STORE.MDB"";USER ID=Admin;PASSWORD=;")
>> Con.Open()
>> Dim Cmd As New OleDb.OleDbCommand("INSERT INTO [tblOrder] ([CustomerID],
>> [Subtotal], [Tax], [Discount], [ShippingMethod], [ShippingCost], [Total],
>> [OrderDate], [ShipName], [ShipAddress], [ShipCity], [ShipState],
>> [ShipZIP], [CCNum], [CCExp]) VALUES (6, 190, 10.2885, 9.5, ""Express"",
>> 10, 200.7885, ""1/15/2005 9:53:29 PM"", ""Joe Mocling"", """",
>> ""Atlanta"", ""GA"", """", """", ""1/1/2005 12:00:00 AM"")", Con)
>> Cmd.ExecuteNonQuery()
>> Cmd.Dispose()
>> Con.Close()
>> Cmd.Dispose()

Juan T. Llibre

Michael,

The account that you must give read/change/write
permissions to is the ASPNET account, not the
IUSR_ Administrator nor the IUSR_ MachineName account.

Make sure you don't only give those rights over the .mdb file.

You need to give those rights to the ASPNET account
over the *directory* where the Access .mdb file is located.

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
===========
"Michael C#" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GAmGd.2087$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Ken, I found that link on a previous search. I've configured the
> settings on this box and the web directory to be as liberal as possible,
> but nothing seems to be working. I've changed the security settings in
> IIS to allow everything and even gave the IUSR_ Administrator rights to
> see if that was an issue. On the properties box in Windows Explorer for
> the folder, I've allowed everything!
>
> What security settings am I missing and how in the world can I set them in
> XP Pro?
>
> Thanks
>
> "Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ueIqax3%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> This is usually caused by the current user - ASP.NET not having
>> sufficient privileges in the directory where the .mdb file is located.
>> Access needs to create a locking file when it is run... that requires
>> change permissions on the file and directory.

>> "Michael C#" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:8ZkGd.2079$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Question - I keep getting the above error when I try to run an INSERT
>>> query against an Access database. I'm running XP Professional and
>>> VS.NET 2003. I run SELECT queries from ASP.NET against it all day long,
>>> and when I run the INSERT query inside Access itself, it works fine.
>>> But for some reason when I run it from within ASP.NET, I get the "Must
>>> Use Updateable Query" error. I've tried searching and have also tried
>>> setting the permissions on the directory to be as liberal as possible.
>>> Is there another security setting I'm missing? Or is there an
>>> incompatibility with my query? Or some other problem?
>>>
>>> TIA.
>>>
>>> Here's my code:
>>>
>>> Dim Con As New OleDb.OleDbConnection
>>> ("PROVIDER="Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;DATA
>>> SOURCE=""C:\InetPub\wwwroot\Test1\STORE.MDB"";USER ID=Admin;PASSWORD=;")
>>> Con.Open()
>>> Dim Cmd As New OleDb.OleDbCommand("INSERT INTO [tblOrder] ([CustomerID],
>>> [Subtotal], [Tax], [Discount], [ShippingMethod], [ShippingCost],
>>> [Total], [OrderDate], [ShipName], [ShipAddress], [ShipCity],
>>> [ShipState], [ShipZIP], [CCNum], [CCExp]) VALUES (6, 190, 10.2885, 9.5,
>>> ""Express"", 10, 200.7885, ""1/15/2005 9:53:29 PM"", ""Joe Mocling"",
>>> """", ""Atlanta"", ""GA"", """", """", ""1/1/2005 12:00:00 AM"")", Con)
>>> Cmd.ExecuteNonQuery()
>>> Cmd.Dispose()
>>> Con.Close()
>>> Cmd.Dispose()

Jeff Louie

This is also a common message generated when the table does not have a
primary key.

Regards,
Jeff

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Are you giving those rights to the correct user? If Anonymous isn't allowed,
this should tell you who you are dealing with:

Response.Write(Web.HttpContext.Current.User.Identi ty.Name)

Ken

"Michael C#" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GAmGd.2087$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Ken, I found that link on a previous search. I've configured the
> settings on this box and the web directory to be as liberal as possible,
> but nothing seems to be working. I've changed the security settings in
> IIS to allow everything and even gave the IUSR_ Administrator rights to
> see if that was an issue. On the properties box in Windows Explorer for
> the folder, I've allowed everything!
>
> What security settings am I missing and how in the world can I set them in
> XP Pro?
>
> Thanks
>
> "Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ueIqax3%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> This is usually caused by the current user - ASP.NET not having
>> sufficient privileges in the directory where the .mdb file is located.
>> Access needs to create a locking file when it is run... that requires
>> change permissions on the file and directory.

>> "Michael C#" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:8ZkGd.2079$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Question - I keep getting the above error when I try to run an INSERT
>>> query against an Access database. I'm running XP Professional and
>>> VS.NET 2003. I run SELECT queries from ASP.NET against it all day long,
>>> and when I run the INSERT query inside Access itself, it works fine.
>>> But for some reason when I run it from within ASP.NET, I get the "Must
>>> Use Updateable Query" error. I've tried searching and have also tried
>>> setting the permissions on the directory to be as liberal as possible.
>>> Is there another security setting I'm missing? Or is there an
>>> incompatibility with my query? Or some other problem?
>>>
>>> TIA.
>>>
>>> Here's my code:
>>>
>>> Dim Con As New OleDb.OleDbConnection
>>> ("PROVIDER="Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;DATA
>>> SOURCE=""C:\InetPub\wwwroot\Test1\STORE.MDB"";USER ID=Admin;PASSWORD=;")
>>> Con.Open()
>>> Dim Cmd As New OleDb.OleDbCommand("INSERT INTO [tblOrder] ([CustomerID],
>>> [Subtotal], [Tax], [Discount], [ShippingMethod], [ShippingCost],
>>> [Total], [OrderDate], [ShipName], [ShipAddress], [ShipCity],
>>> [ShipState], [ShipZIP], [CCNum], [CCExp]) VALUES (6, 190, 10.2885, 9.5,
>>> ""Express"", 10, 200.7885, ""1/15/2005 9:53:29 PM"", ""Joe Mocling"",
>>> """", ""Atlanta"", ""GA"", """", """", ""1/1/2005 12:00:00 AM"")", Con)
>>> Cmd.ExecuteNonQuery()
>>> Cmd.Dispose()
>>> Con.Close()
>>> Cmd.Dispose()

Michael C#

How do I differentiate who gets which rights? How do I set those individual
user rights over directories? Remember, I'm on a Windows XP Pro box.

Thanks

news:uU2Ap14%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Michael,
>
> The account that you must give read/change/write
> permissions to is the ASPNET account, not the
> IUSR_ Administrator nor the IUSR_ MachineName account.
>
> Make sure you don't only give those rights over the .mdb file.
>
> You need to give those rights to the ASPNET account
> over the *directory* where the Access .mdb file is located.
>

> Juan T. Llibre
> ASP.NET MVP
> ===========
> "Michael C#" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:GAmGd.2087$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks Ken, I found that link on a previous search. I've configured the
>> settings on this box and the web directory to be as liberal as possible,
>> but nothing seems to be working. I've changed the security settings in
>> IIS to allow everything and even gave the IUSR_ Administrator rights to
>> see if that was an issue. On the properties box in Windows Explorer for
>> the folder, I've allowed everything!
>>
>> What security settings am I missing and how in the world can I set them
>> in XP Pro?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> "Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:ueIqax3%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi Michael,
>>>
>>> This is usually caused by the current user - ASP.NET not having
>>> sufficient privileges in the directory where the .mdb file is located.
>>> Access needs to create a locking file when it is run... that requires
>>> change permissions on the file and directory.
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;316675
>>>

>>> "Michael C#" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:8ZkGd.2079$(E-Mail Removed)...

Michael C#

All tables have a Primary Key, including the one table in this query.

Thanks

"Jeff Louie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23gcwY44%(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is also a common message generated when the table does not have a
> primary key.
>
> Regards,
> Jeff

Michael C#

Hmm. I would, but I loaded up the app in VS.NET this morning and it's
suddenly not working *at all*. Apparently I f*** up the configuration it
needs to even do the half-@$$ job it was doing last night.

Thanks

"Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u9$Xu08%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are you giving those rights to the correct user? If Anonymous isn't
> allowed, this should tell you who you are dealing with:
>
> Response.Write(Web.HttpContext.Current.User.Identi ty.Name)
>
> Ken
>
> "Michael C#" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:GAmGd.2087$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks Ken, I found that link on a previous search. I've configured the
>> settings on this box and the web directory to be as liberal as possible,
>> but nothing seems to be working. I've changed the security settings in
>> IIS to allow everything and even gave the IUSR_ Administrator rights to
>> see if that was an issue. On the properties box in Windows Explorer for
>> the folder, I've allowed everything!
>>
>> What security settings am I missing and how in the world can I set them
>> in XP Pro?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> "Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:ueIqax3%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi Michael,
>>>
>>> This is usually caused by the current user - ASP.NET not having
>>> sufficient privileges in the directory where the .mdb file is located.
>>> Access needs to create a locking file when it is run... that requires
>>> change permissions on the file and directory.
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;316675
>>>

>>> "Michael C#" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:8ZkGd.2079$(E-Mail Removed)...

Michael C#

Oh yeah, Anonymous Access is allowed.