Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Next mandate selection

Re: Next mandate selection

RichA

On Apr 28, 12:42*pm, Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Last month the Committee asked for suggestions for a new mandate.

> Decay (consider shots of abandoned, or forgotten architecture,
> engineering, infrastructure, etc.)

No fair! The Americans in the northeast have too much of an advantage
here.

PeterN

On 4/28/2012 6:41 PM, RichA wrote:
> On Apr 28, 12:42 pm, Alan Browne<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> Last month the Committee asked for suggestions for a new mandate.

>> Decay (consider shots of abandoned, or forgotten architecture,
>> engineering, infrastructure, etc.)

> No fair! The Americans in the northeast have too much of an advantage
> here.

Posted with your usual actual knowledge.

Let's see what you contribute

--
Peter

tony cooper

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 21:42:11 -0400, PeterN
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 4/28/2012 6:41 PM, RichA wrote:
>> On Apr 28, 12:42 pm, Alan Browne<(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>> Last month the Committee asked for suggestions for a new mandate.

>>> Decay (consider shots of abandoned, or forgotten architecture,
>>> engineering, infrastructure, etc.)

>> No fair! The Americans in the northeast have too much of an advantage
>> here.

>Posted with your usual actual knowledge.
>
>Let's see what you contribute

Actually, I agree with him. Nine out of ten abandoned architecture
subjects down here are foreclosed houses and decaying strip malls.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

PeterN

On 4/28/2012 10:41 PM, tony cooper wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 21:42:11 -0400, PeterN
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 4/28/2012 6:41 PM, RichA wrote:

>>> No fair! The Americans in the northeast have too much of an advantage
>>> here.

>> Posted with your usual actual knowledge.
>>
>> Let's see what you contribute

> Actually, I agree with him. Nine out of ten abandoned architecture
> subjects down here are foreclosed houses and decaying strip malls.

Do you live in the North East?
Have you seen the re-vitalization? (Some call it "gentrification."

Yes! There are a lot of issues with denigrated inner cities, but that
issue is not limited to the US North East.

<http://www.torontoslumtourism.com/our-facts.php>
A short walk outside of Henry's is all he needs.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 4/28/2012 10:41 PM, tony cooper wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 21:42:11 -0400, PeterN
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 4/28/2012 6:41 PM, RichA wrote:

>>> No fair! The Americans in the northeast have too much of an advantage
>>> here.

>> Posted with your usual actual knowledge.
>>
>> Let's see what you contribute

> Actually, I agree with him. Nine out of ten abandoned architecture
> subjects down here are foreclosed houses and decaying strip malls.

Perhaps we should add these links:

<http://67.20.89.159/wrolandhamilton/tag/toronto-abandoned-buildings/>

-<http://www.ontarioabandonedplaces.com/search.asp?city=Toronto>

Derelict buildings are not limited, nor exclusive, as Rich suggests.
the above links show he could effectively compete on that subject.
Peter

Robert Coe

:
: >> wrote:
: >>> Last month the Committee asked for suggestions for a new mandate.
: >>
: >>> Decay (consider shots of abandoned, or forgotten architecture,
: >>> engineering, infrastructure, etc.)
: >>
: >> No fair! The Americans in the northeast have too much of an advantage
: >> here.
: >
: >Posted with your usual actual knowledge.
: >
: >Let's see what you contribute
:
: Actually, I agree with him. Nine out of ten abandoned architecture
: subjects down here are foreclosed houses and decaying strip malls.

Well, those *are* timely subjects for a decaying architecture mandate. :^|

The challenge in Florida might be to find the most opulent foreclosed house in
the state. Extra points if it belonged to a gangster, druglord, political
boss, or other famous celebrity.

Bob

tony cooper

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 23:11:48 -0400, PeterN
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 4/28/2012 10:41 PM, tony cooper wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 21:42:11 -0400, PeterN
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Posted with your usual actual knowledge.
>>>
>>> Let's see what you contribute

>> Actually, I agree with him. Nine out of ten abandoned architecture
>> subjects down here are foreclosed houses and decaying strip malls.
>>

>Do you live in the North East?

Duh.

>Have you seen the re-vitalization? (Some call it "gentrification."
>
>Yes! There are a lot of issues with denigrated inner cities, but that
>issue is not limited to the US North East.

Nor did he say that, Peter. He said they have an advantage. It's
easier for a resident of a "rust belt" state to go out and find a
interesting photographic opportunity that it is for me if the mandate
is architectural decay. An abandoned steel mill is a more interesting
subject than the typical abandoned house in this area.

That doesn't mean that I can't compete in the mandate. I just have to
put more thought, imagination, and searching for sites into it.

I won't complain about whatever mandate is chosen.

--

On 4/29/2012 7:31 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 22:41:10 -0400, tony cooper<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> : On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 21:42:11 -0400, PeterN
> :<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> :
> :>On 4/28/2012 6:41 PM, RichA wrote:
> :>> On Apr 28, 12:42 pm, Alan Browne<(E-Mail Removed)>
> :>> wrote:
> :>>> Last month the Committee asked for suggestions for a new mandate.
> :>>
> :>>> Decay (consider shots of abandoned, or forgotten architecture,
> :>>> engineering, infrastructure, etc.)
> :>>
> :>> No fair! The Americans in the northeast have too much of an advantage
> :>> here.
> :>
> :>Posted with your usual actual knowledge.
> :>
> :>Let's see what you contribute
> :
> : Actually, I agree with him. Nine out of ten abandoned architecture
> : subjects down here are foreclosed houses and decaying strip malls.
>
> Well, those *are* timely subjects for a decaying architecture mandate. :^|
>
> The challenge in Florida might be to find the most opulent foreclosed house in
> the state. Extra points if it belonged to a gangster, druglord, political
> boss, or other famous celebrity.

Didn't you mean "infamous celebrity?"

--
Peter

PeterN

On 4/29/2012 9:30 AM, tony cooper wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 23:11:48 -0400, PeterN
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 4/28/2012 10:41 PM, tony cooper wrote:

>>> Actually, I agree with him. Nine out of ten abandoned architecture
>>> subjects down here are foreclosed houses and decaying strip malls.
>>>

>> Do you live in the North East?

> Duh.
>
>> Have you seen the re-vitalization? (Some call it "gentrification."
>>
>> Yes! There are a lot of issues with denigrated inner cities, but that
>> issue is not limited to the US North East.

> Nor did he say that, Peter. He said they have an advantage. It's
> easier for a resident of a "rust belt" state to go out and find a
> interesting photographic opportunity that it is for me if the mandate
> is architectural decay. An abandoned steel mill is a more interesting
> subject than the typical abandoned house in this area.

Coming from Rich I took it as a jab, and reacted accordingly.

> That doesn't mean that I can't compete in the mandate. I just have to
> put more thought, imagination, and searching for sites into it.
>
> I won't complain about whatever mandate is chosen.

I Most abandoned steel mills I am aware of are located in Western
Pennsylvania. Lat time I looked PA is not part of the North East, but
Mid-Atlantic

--
Peter

Robert Coe

: > wrote:
: > : On Sat, 28 Apr 2012 21:42:11 -0400, PeterN
: > :
: > :>> wrote:
: > :>>> Last month the Committee asked for suggestions for a new mandate.
: > :>>
: > :>>> Decay (consider shots of abandoned, or forgotten architecture,
: > :>>> engineering, infrastructure, etc.)
: > :>>
: > :>> No fair! The Americans in the northeast have too much of an advantage
: > :>> here.
: > :>
: > :>Posted with your usual actual knowledge.
: > :>
: > :>Let's see what you contribute
: > :
: > : Actually, I agree with him. Nine out of ten abandoned architecture
: > : subjects down here are foreclosed houses and decaying strip malls.
: >
: > Well, those *are* timely subjects for a decaying architecture mandate. :^|
: >
: > The challenge in Florida might be to find the most opulent foreclosed
: > house in the state. Extra points if it belonged to a gangster, druglord,
: > political boss, or other famous celebrity.
: >
:
: Didn't you mean "infamous celebrity?"
:
:

In today's society, what's the difference? I submit that anyone who imagines
that there actually is a difference didn't watch last night's White House
Correspondents' Dinner! (That is to say, they didn't watch it on CNN. C-SPAN
at least broadcast it a cappella, without the continual intervention by
fawning commentators.)

Bob