Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Google Drive

Re: Google Drive

David Dyer-Bennet

Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> writes:

> So having said all that, try this for size. These files are set for
> all those with access to the URL & according to the set up, download
> not permitted. (We shall see.)
> < https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwB...GFHZ3hESjdlQm8 >

Access: ok. I get a page with menus, and the image. The "File" menu
does not contain a "Save" option.

However, right-clicking lets me save from the browser as usual. There's
really no way to display a photo on my monitor without sending me the
bits, and if you send me the bits, I can capture and save the bits.

(You could write a special browser plugin that made a special encrypted
connection, separately from the browser, to fetch data to display. It's
possible you could write it so that it prevents screen capture from
working, maybe (depends on the OS). And you can detect when you're
running in a virtual machine and refuse to do so (otherwise the bits are
sent again to the real display, where I can do screen capture on them).
And when you're done, nobody will install your plugin so nobody can see
your pictures . AND I could capture the stream, find the key, and
decrypt it anyway.)
--
David Dyer-Bennet, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed); http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

Andrew Reilly

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 09:22:33 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

> However, right-clicking lets me save from the browser as usual. There's
> really no way to display a photo on my monitor without sending me the
> bits, and if you send me the bits, I can capture and save the bits.

While true in essence, some do go out of their way to make it difficult.
In some countries with DMCA (or the legal equivalent) it could very
probably be argued that something as lame as a javascript override of the
context menu (to remove the save image option) would constitute a copy
protection technology that it is illegal to attempt to circumvent. I
don't know that that theory has ever been tested in court, though.

> (You could write a special browser plugin that made a special encrypted
> connection, separately from the browser, to fetch data to display. It's
> possible you could write it so that it prevents screen capture from
> working, maybe (depends on the OS). And you can detect when you're
> running in a virtual machine and refuse to do so (otherwise the bits are
> sent again to the real display, where I can do screen capture on them).
> And when you're done, nobody will install your plugin so nobody can see
> your pictures . AND I could capture the stream, find the key, and
> decrypt it anyway.)

Making sure that it is possible to deliver "content" to "consumers" is
the whole point of the "secure computing initiative". (i.e., secured
*against* the computer's owner.) Already there are plenty of ways for
movie and audio content of various sorts to not play, even though you
posess the bits. Even the "analog hole" has had a few somewhat-effective
attempts to plug them.

Our best hope for sanity is that content producers will discover (just as
most downloadable music distribution has, and book publishers are
starting to discover) that the downsides of DRM outweigh the benefits.
Book sellers are starting to realize that the contracts that come with
DRM protection lock them into a monopolist distribution chain that isn't
necessarily to their best advantage.

Cheers,

--
Andrew