Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Re: High-level network programming: is C language suitable for that?

Re: High-level network programming: is C language suitable for that?

nick_keighley_nospam@hotmail.com

On Friday, April 27, 2012 11:37:41 PM UTC+1, Jens Thoms Toerring wrote:
> Rui Maciel wrote:
> > Jens Thoms Toerring wrote:

<snip>

> > There is a considerable number of graphics and networking libraries
> > which provide a C API and are extensively used. For example, OpenGL,
> > POSIX sockets and GTK come to mind.

> That's just what, in the rest of my post, I thought I had
> mentioned Though I wouldn't consider OpenGL to be a GUI
> library

no it isn't. GLUT might be though.

("simple GUI" doesn't evoke the association of "fast
> 3D rendering" for me but more "a few buttons and maybe a few
> other useful widgets").

does everyone need "fast 3d rendering"? You can write some pretty fancy GUIapplications without it. And he's doing network programming not Halo-N. A few buttons and forms and maybe a histogram or line graph would seem about it for network programming GUI. How complicated can you make BOOTP!

> And I don't know, not being a Windows
> programmer, how far the POSIX socket API is supported under
> Windows, the OPs primary target

Windows has its own socket interafec that is just slightly different from BSD (and I assume Posix). Just enough to be irritating. A fairly thin wrapper can hide the differences.

> - and my impression was any-
> way that he wanted something more "high-level", that's why I
> mentioned libcurl as something to consider for (at least) part
> of his task.

Robert Miles

On 4/27/2012 5:37 PM, Jens Thoms Toerring wrote:
> Rui Maciel<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Jens Thoms Toerring wrote:

[snip]
>> There is a considerable number of graphics and networking libraries
>> which provide a C API and are extensively used. For example, OpenGL,
>> POSIX sockets and GTK come to mind.

> That's just what, in the rest of my post, I thought I had
> mentioned Though I wouldn't consider OpenGL to be a GUI
> library ("simple GUI" doesn't evoke the association of "fast
> 3D rendering" for me but more "a few buttons and maybe a few
> other useful widgets"). And I don't know, not being a Windows
> programmer, how far the POSIX socket API is supported under
> Windows, the OPs primary target - and my impression was any-
> way that he wanted something more "high-level", that's why I
> mentioned libcurl as something to consider for (at least) part
> of his task.
> Regards, Jens

If you want the POSIX socket API under Windows, you might want
to investigate the Cygwin method of getting a Linux emulation
under Windows.

Robert Miles