Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > peter-swing

peter-swing

Peter Cheung

OK everybody. Actually peter-swing don't need MetalBump. I removed it from the project. If you think it still violating the license, please leave it. If you love the swing theme, please use it. I made this new theme and swingcomponents for my peter-bochs project, if you like it, please download

Bye.

Lew

On Thursday, April 26, 2012 2:54:20 PM UTC-7, Peter Cheung wrote:
> OK everybody. Actually peter-swing don't need MetalBump. I removed it from the project. If you think it still violating the license, please leave it.. If you love the swing theme, please use it. I made this new theme and swing components for my peter-bochs project, if you like it, please download

What we think is beside the point. If you use copyright code in violation of the license, our opinion will not protect you.

Was 'MetalBump' the only code you plagiarized?

Why did you bother? It's already present anyway. Your removal of it doesn'tremove it from the project.

You _do_ realize that the ' javax.swing.plaf.metal' package will be presentanyway even if you don't rip it off, do you not?

Why did you copy it in the first place?

Why haven't you answered the questions about Javadocs?

Why do you answer with short sentence fragments and not the information we request?

--
Lew

Paul Cager

On Apr 26, 10:54*pm, Peter Cheung <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> OK everybody. Actually peter-swing don't need MetalBump. I removed it from the project. If you think it still violating the license, please leave it.. If you love the swing theme, please use it. I made this new theme and swing components for my peter-bochs project, if you like it, please download

There still look to be license violations.

JDropDownButton.java contains:

"This code was edited or generated using CloudGarden's Jigloo SWT/
Swing GUI Builder .... THIS CODE CANNOT BE USED LEGALLY FOR ANY
CORPORATE OR COMMERCIAL PURPOSE."

But your project is licensed as GNU Lesser GPL.

(Personally I think a code generation tool that attempts to impose
restrictions on any code generated using the tool is obnoxious).

markspace

> On 4/27/2012 5:51 AM, Paul Cager wrote:
>> (Personally I think a code generation tool that attempts to impose
>> restrictions on any code generated using the tool is obnoxious).

> But the correct reaction to that is to not use the tool, unless the
> restrictions match your own intentions.

Assuming one exists, sure. But the code itself is obnoxious. There's
something on the order of 100 classes (112, according to a quick find |
wc -l). There's almost no documentation. Most of the code is that
pregenerated garbage, code with no thought behind it. Or it looks like
it was stolen from some other place and again the comments stripped.
The whole thing is just a waste of time for anyone to look at.

Arne Vajhøj

On 4/26/2012 9:30 AM, Peter Cheung wrote:
> markspace於 2012年4月25日星期三UTC+8上午6時07分27秒 寫道:
>> <http://www.docjar.org/html/api/javax/swing/plaf/metal/MetalBumps.java.html>
>>
>> <http://code.google.com/p/peter-swing/source/browse/trunk/src/com/peterswing/MetalBumps.java>

> peter-swing is open source project, open source project plagiarized another open source project?

Yes.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

On 4/26/2012 11:20 AM, markspace wrote:
> On 4/26/2012 6:30 AM, Peter Cheung wrote:
>>
>> peter-swing is open source project, open source project plagiarized
>> another open source project?

> Open source does not mean free. Most open source licenses have
> restrictions.

Open source do mean free, but free as in free speech not free as
in free beer.

But the right to use comes with certain conditions. Keeping
copyright notice, keeping it open source etc..

Arne

Arne Vajhj

On 4/26/2012 5:54 PM, Peter Cheung wrote:
> OK everybody. Actually peter-swing don't need MetalBump. I removed it
> from the project. If you think it still violating the license, please
> leave it. If you love the swing theme, please use it. I made this new
> theme and swing components for my peter-bochs project, if you like
> it, please download

The interest for using code from a known copyright violator
must be small.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

On 4/26/2012 9:25 AM, Peter Cheung wrote:
> markspace於 2012年4月25日星期三UTC+8上午5時42分43秒 寫道:
>> On 4/24/2012 11:18 AM, Peter wrote:
>>> Hi All
>>> I finished making the "OutlookBar" component, http://code.google.com/p/peter-swing/

>> Funnily enough, your project source has no build file. So I'm going to
>> make one. With vim.

> I use eclipse to build it, so no build file.

There should still be a build file.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

On 4/28/2012 9:43 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> On 4/26/2012 9:30 AM, Peter Cheung wrote:
>> markspace於 2012年4月25日星期三UTC+8上午6時07分27秒 寫道:
>>> <http://www.docjar.org/html/api/javax/swing/plaf/metal/MetalBumps.java.html>
>>>

>>> <http://code.google.com/p/peter-swing/source/browse/trunk/src/com/peterswing/MetalBumps.java>
>>>

>> peter-swing is open source project, open source project plagiarized
>> another open source project?

> Yes.

And republishing GPL code as LGPL is a big NO NO.

Arne