Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > coding problem or player problem?

coding problem or player problem?

Doug Miller

richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:14prypcv20kes$.y5dhtqfnynnn.dlg@
40tude.net:

> yeah yeah. Hvae you ever heard of blackmail and extortion?
> One day you get a letter in the mail which states that legal action will be
> taken if you fail to pay xyz law firm $10,000 for the rights to use the
> music online.
> That, my friend, is extortion.

No, RtD, it's not. It's the penalty for violation of another's rights under the copyright law.

Doug Miller

richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:8atqcwdh3t9i$.cxtlddc2egj7.dlg@
40tude.net:

> On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 13:10:39 -0700, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 14:18:24 -0400, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>>Do you own a book?
>>>Do you own any audio cd's you legally purchased from a store?
>>>Ok so you have a yard sale and put out your ten thousand books and cd's to
>>>sell.
>>>Question for you mister attorney, did you just violate the copyright law?

>> I have not cliamed to be an attorney, and in fact, am not one.
>>
>>>No, because you have sold what is legally your property.

>> I did not copy anything when I sold said book/CD.
>>
>>>The kicker in the copyright law is, the fact that you mass produced copies
>>>and are selling those copies for a profit.

>> No, one could give away copies for free and be violating
>> copyright law.

> BINGO!
> Give that man a ceegar!
> This is now contradicting what you've said earlier. That the simple act of
> having said material online is a violation.

Read it again, RtD. I think you missed the comma after the word "No".

He is absolutely right, and there is no contradiction: you *are* violating copyright law by
giving away copies of something to which someone else owns the rights.

richard

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 11:11:20 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller wrote:

> richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:14prypcv20kes$.y5dhtqfnynnn.dlg@
> 40tude.net:
>

>> yeah yeah. Hvae you ever heard of blackmail and extortion?
>> One day you get a letter in the mail which states that legal action will be
>> taken if you fail to pay xyz law firm $10,000 for the rights to use the
>> music online.
>> That, my friend, is extortion.

> No, RtD, it's not. It's the penalty for violation of another's rights under the copyright law.

I praise thee kind sire by clicking my heels twice, raising my hand and
pointing it to the sun and shouting with strength, "Sieg Heil! Seig Heil
Meinen Fuhrer!".

Doug Miller

richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in newsm62t4mr2agv.ye37m0gj8c37.dlg@
40tude.net:

> On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 11:11:20 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller wrote:
>
>> richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:14prypcv20kes$.y5dhtqfnynnn.dlg@
>> 40tude.net:
>>

>>> yeah yeah. Hvae you ever heard of blackmail and extortion?
>>> One day you get a letter in the mail which states that legal action will be
>>> taken if you fail to pay xyz law firm $10,000 for the rights to use the
>>> music online.
>>> That, my friend, is extortion.

>> No, RtD, it's not. It's the penalty for violation of another's rights under the copyright law.

> I praise thee kind sire by clicking my heels twice, raising my hand and
> pointing it to the sun and shouting with strength, "Sieg Heil! Seig Heil
> Meinen Fuhrer!".

You automatically lose the debate. Google "Godwin's Law" to learn why.

Then, while you have your browser open, you might want to read the Wikipedia article on
copyright, too.