Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > How to develop without an IDE?

How to develop without an IDE?

Martin Gregorie

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 02:29:00 -0700, sony.gupta32 wrote:

> what about an xml editor, try Liquid XML Editor
> (http://www.liquid-technologies.com/xml-editor.aspx)
>
> On Sunday, April 22, 2012 4:15:30 PM UTC+1, Rui Maciel wrote:
>> Is it possible to set up a Java project so that it can be built without
>>
>> relying on an IDE? If it is, where can I find any information on how
>> to set
>>
>> up this sort of project?
>>
>> Bonus points if it's possible to pull this off by writing a single
>> makefile.

Don't use make - ant is better for Java and one control file (build.xml)
can easily handle several non-nested package structures as well as jarfile
builds and javadocs output.

Everything else can be handled via your favourite text editor (java
source, regression test scripts and test data.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Lew

Martin Gregorie wrote:
> sony.gupta32 wrote:
>> what about an xml editor, try Liquid XML Editor
>> (http://www.liquid-technologies.com/xml-editor.aspx)
>> Rui Maciel wrote:
>>> Is it possible to set up a Java project so that it can be built without
>>> relying on an IDE? If it is, where can I find any information on how
>>> to set up this sort of project?

Just about any Java tutorial, and also on the Ant website.

>>> Bonus points if it's possible to pull this off by writing a single
>>> makefile.

Ewww! Makefiles don't go well with Java.

> Don't use make - ant is better for Java and one control file (build.xml)
> can easily handle several non-nested package structures as well as jarfile
> builds and javadocs output.

And with a little more difficulty can handle just about everything else related
to builds and kicking off testing.

> Everything else can be handled via your favourite text editor (java
> source, regression test scripts and test data.

Well, now, "handled" is a loose term here.

Tools like Jenkins/Hudson, Ant, IDEs and various performance and
functional test scaffolds exist for valid reasons.

The OP is right to seek command-line, or rather, command-script
knowledge. All the Java IDEs recognize Ant build.xml files and can
work well with Ant-based build/deployment protocols. It is
important that one does not introduce dependencies on the IDE
itself in those protocols. Then all sorts of standard tools, and
multiple versions of such, will work with the project.

One more thing about Ant. If you really can't do what you want
in it, yet, you can choose to write new Ant tasks in Java and fold
them into your process.

--
Lew

Roedy Green

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 19:58:06 +0000 (UTC), Martin Gregorie
someone who said :

>Everything else can be handled via your favourite text editor (java
>source, regression test scripts and test data.

I used to use SlickEdit for this. You need to install the JDK
see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdk.html
You make macros to do common editing tasks.

Use ant for building. I generate my ant scripts with a stomp cookie
cutter program. This mean I can add a project with just a few lines.
For example, last night I noticed I had been signing only the main jar
for JWS. I changed a few lines, and all my ant scripts were updated.

But IDEs are so much more powerful in terms of navigation, tracing,
reformatting.
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light,
but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.
~ Max Planck 1858-04-23 1947-10-04