Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Lytro (new link)

Reply
Thread Tools

Lytro (new link)

 
 
philo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-21-2012
For anyone following my progress with the Lytro
I've created a new (user friendly) link

https://pictures.lytro.com/philo#
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
PeterN
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-21-2012
On 4/21/2012 11:43 AM, philo wrote:
> For anyone following my progress with the Lytro
> I've created a new (user friendly) link
>
> https://pictures.lytro.com/philo#



Fascinating!


--
Peter
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
James Silverton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-21-2012
On 4/21/2012 4:24 PM, PeterN wrote:
> On 4/21/2012 11:43 AM, philo wrote:
>> For anyone following my progress with the Lytro
>> I've created a new (user friendly) link
>>
>> https://pictures.lytro.com/philo#

>
>
> Fascinating!
>
>

How actually does clicking on a picture on a monitor cause
"refocussing"? Are there several pictures with different focal points
stored? An interesting gallery, I must say!

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
 
Reply With Quote
 
philo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-21-2012
On 04/21/2012 10:54 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2012-04-21 11:43 , philo wrote:
>> For anyone following my progress with the Lytro
>> I've created a new (user friendly) link
>>
>> https://pictures.lytro.com/philo#

>
> I've been looking forward to these. I don't think you've used the most
> effective place (the vernissage phots), but the one with the fellow in
> the glasses, the wall and the building outside shows the effect quite well.
>
> And the first photo (outside) does not focus on the Gallery sign
> indicating that you may not have setup the camera properly for that
> photo (if I understand it well, there are "range" settings in the camera).
>
> I'd be particularly happy if you submitted Lytro images to the SI (due
> tomorrow - see yesterday's [SI] posting). I'd attempt to link them via
> the pbase photos to the lytro image site.
>



I wanted all here to see the images just the way I took them...
and yes, the camera does not always give a focusable image.
For the one in question the reason it probably was not focused was
because I took it while I was walking and probably was moving the camera
too fast. There is a range setting but I did not use it.

All in all though, the images turn out pretty well. Many of them did not
have a great range variation and were not the best for demonstrating the
camera's capabilities...but the one "shot" up the tree trunk is a good
example.

I probably will not have time to submit one to SI as "live images" can
only be currently viewed on Lytro's website.

Though Lytro provides a JPG extractor I find it limiting.

The good news is that I found some JPG extraction code that I was able
to compile and now I have my own JPG extractor that beats the one from
Lytro.

I have to copy it from my MAC to my Linux machine however...not a big
deal but I have other projects I'm working on now.


Basically I just posted to allow those here interested in the Lytro see
some of my results



--
https://www.createspace.com/3707686
 
Reply With Quote
 
philo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-21-2012
On 04/21/2012 03:24 PM, PeterN wrote:
> On 4/21/2012 11:43 AM, philo wrote:
>> For anyone following my progress with the Lytro
>> I've created a new (user friendly) link
>>
>> https://pictures.lytro.com/philo#

>
>
> Fascinating!
>
>



It's a fun camera for sure.

--
https://www.createspace.com/3707686
 
Reply With Quote
 
philo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-21-2012
On 04/21/2012 05:23 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> On 4/21/2012 4:24 PM, PeterN wrote:
>> On 4/21/2012 11:43 AM, philo wrote:
>>> For anyone following my progress with the Lytro
>>> I've created a new (user friendly) link
>>>
>>> https://pictures.lytro.com/philo#

>>
>>
>> Fascinating!
>>
>>

> How actually does clicking on a picture on a monitor cause
> "refocussing"? Are there several pictures with different focal points
> stored? An interesting gallery, I must say!
>





Please go to Lytro's website for more info


http://www.lytro.com/#


In short, it captures the entire light filed and is infinitely focusable
*after* the picture is taken.

New technology
--
https://www.createspace.com/3707686
 
Reply With Quote
 
MC
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-21-2012
philo wrote:

> On 04/21/2012 03:24 PM, PeterN wrote:
> > On 4/21/2012 11:43 AM, philo wrote:
> > > For anyone following my progress with the Lytro
> > > I've created a new (user friendly) link
> > >
> > > https://pictures.lytro.com/philo#

> >
> >
> > Fascinating!
> >
> >

>
>
> It's a fun camera for sure.


It seems is everything the reviews say it is. Great on the technology
front but low resolution and awfully poor image quality make this
nothing more than an overly-expensive toy.

It may be fun to use but toys usually are.

MC
 
Reply With Quote
 
James Silverton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-21-2012
On 4/21/2012 6:40 PM, philo wrote:
> On 04/21/2012 05:23 PM, James Silverton wrote:
>> On 4/21/2012 4:24 PM, PeterN wrote:
>>> On 4/21/2012 11:43 AM, philo wrote:
>>>> For anyone following my progress with the Lytro
>>>> I've created a new (user friendly) link
>>>>
>>>> https://pictures.lytro.com/philo#
>>>
>>>
>>> Fascinating!
>>>
>>>

>> How actually does clicking on a picture on a monitor cause
>> "refocussing"? Are there several pictures with different focal points
>> stored? An interesting gallery, I must say!
>>

>
>
>
>
> Please go to Lytro's website for more info
>
>
> http://www.lytro.com/#
>
>
> In short, it captures the entire light filed and is infinitely focusable
> *after* the picture is taken.
>
> New technology


Yes, I know what Lytro says and I accept the principles involved but
what happens when I click on a picture in *your* gallery and I receive
a refocussed picture almost instantaneously?

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
 
Reply With Quote
 
philo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-22-2012
On 4/21/2012 6:19 PM, MC wrote:
> philo wrote:
>
>> On 04/21/2012 03:24 PM, PeterN wrote:
>>> On 4/21/2012 11:43 AM, philo wrote:
>>>> For anyone following my progress with the Lytro
>>>> I've created a new (user friendly) link
>>>>
>>>> https://pictures.lytro.com/philo#
>>>
>>>
>>> Fascinating!
>>>
>>>

>>
>>
>> It's a fun camera for sure.

>
> It seems is everything the reviews say it is. Great on the technology
> front but low resolution and awfully poor image quality make this
> nothing more than an overly-expensive toy.
>
> It may be fun to use but toys usually are.
>
> MC



Nope you are wrong there, the image quality is pretty good.

What's lacking is the provided software for extracting JPG's

guess you missed my comment about the custom software I am using.
 
Reply With Quote
 
philo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-22-2012
On 4/21/2012 6:47 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> On 4/21/2012 6:40 PM, philo wrote:
>> On 04/21/2012 05:23 PM, James Silverton wrote:
>>> On 4/21/2012 4:24 PM, PeterN wrote:
>>>> On 4/21/2012 11:43 AM, philo wrote:
>>>>> For anyone following my progress with the Lytro
>>>>> I've created a new (user friendly) link
>>>>>
>>>>> https://pictures.lytro.com/philo#
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Fascinating!
>>>>
>>>>
>>> How actually does clicking on a picture on a monitor cause
>>> "refocussing"? Are there several pictures with different focal points
>>> stored? An interesting gallery, I must say!
>>>

>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Please go to Lytro's website for more info
>>
>>
>> http://www.lytro.com/#
>>
>>
>> In short, it captures the entire light filed and is infinitely focusable
>> *after* the picture is taken.
>>
>> New technology

>
> Yes, I know what Lytro says and I accept the principles involved but
> what happens when I click on a picture in *your* gallery and I receive a
> refocussed picture almost instantaneously?
>



My gallery is of course hosted by Lytro I have no control over it other
than what I post. The proprietary manipulations are on their end.


OTOH: I can extract a JPG if I so desire...
I plan to make a few prints. Though the code I use is better than what
Lytro currently has...it still is less than ideal.

Lytro will of course improve things as they go along.


I am quite aware that it's best to wait for a while when new technology
is released...but the curiosity factor got me.

I enjoy being on the leading edge of something for once...this is
perfect for me as being a computer geek I am familiar with compiling
code and producing executable software. I even wrote my own shell script
to make the process easy enough to run from the GUI.

I fully admit however that there is no way I am bright enough to write
to software to extract the JPGs...that kind of stuff is out of my league
and I fully admit it
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inside the Lytro charles Digital Photography 1 03-01-2012 09:06 AM
Lytro Cameras James Silverton Digital Photography 9 02-09-2012 06:21 PM
Amazed at news penetration of that infinite focus camera the Lytro RichA Digital Photography 15 11-03-2011 01:34 PM
Lytro philo Digital Photography 12 11-01-2011 10:07 PM
Lytro Camera Eric Miller Digital Photography 2 08-08-2011 08:46 PM



Advertisments