Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Speaking of Windows XP...

Speaking of Windows XP...

Lodi

Hi all

Speaking of Windows XP...

I'm supposed to be doing a clean-up on three sluggish laptops running XP.
Favour for a friend.

I don't expect to get too involved (have no intention of doing a clean
install) but as I haven't touched XP in many years I'm wondering if Spybot,
Adaware and CCleaner are still all I need, like they were way back when.

Any other suggestions welcome. A reg cleaner maybe.

Thanks
Lodi

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Lodi wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Speaking of Windows XP...
>
> I'm supposed to be doing a clean-up on three sluggish laptops running
> XP. Favour for a friend.
>
> I don't expect to get too involved (have no intention of doing a clean
> install) but as I haven't touched XP in many years I'm wondering if
> Spybot, Adaware and CCleaner are still all I need, like they were way
> back when.
>
> Any other suggestions welcome. A reg cleaner maybe.
>
> Thanks
> Lodi

Hi Mate,

I use AML reg cleaner - hang on, I'll find a URL... http://www.amlsoft.com/
It's free but the latest version [4.23] has a small ad bar at the bottom. I
was using version 4.21 before which didn't have the ads and otherwise seemed
the same. It also has a 'temp file' cleaner function which I find useful.

I don't use Spybot or Adaware anymore, instead I use SUPERantispyware. Oh,
and Avast! It seems to be the lightest AV package, both on resources and the
size of updates.

I've noticed a distinct speed difference between sp2 level machines and sp3
level, the latter being quite a bit slower on marginal machines. However MS
only issue minimal patchs for sp2 level (essentially just the malicious
software thingy each month or so).

Good luck.
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Lodi

~misfit~ wrote:

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Lodi wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> Speaking of Windows XP...
>>
>> I'm supposed to be doing a clean-up on three sluggish laptops running
>> XP. Favour for a friend.
>>
>> I don't expect to get too involved (have no intention of doing a clean
>> install) but as I haven't touched XP in many years I'm wondering if
>> Spybot, Adaware and CCleaner are still all I need, like they were way
>> back when.
>>
>> Any other suggestions welcome. A reg cleaner maybe.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Lodi

> Hi Mate,
>
> I use AML reg cleaner - hang on, I'll find a URL...
> http://www.amlsoft.com/ It's free but the latest version [4.23] has a
> small ad bar at the bottom. I was using version 4.21 before which didn't
> have the ads and otherwise seemed the same. It also has a 'temp file'
> cleaner function which I find useful.
>
> I don't use Spybot or Adaware anymore, instead I use SUPERantispyware. Oh,
> and Avast! It seems to be the lightest AV package, both on resources and
> the size of updates.
>
> I've noticed a distinct speed difference between sp2 level machines and
> sp3 level, the latter being quite a bit slower on marginal machines.
> However MS only issue minimal patchs for sp2 level (essentially just the
> malicious software thingy each month or so).
>
> Good luck.

Thanks for that Shaun. Have downladed the three you recommend and will give
them a go.

All the best
Lodi

Dave Doe

In article <jmsr3f$4if$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), Lodi says...

> Hi all
>
> Speaking of Windows XP...
>
> I'm supposed to be doing a clean-up on three sluggish laptops running XP.
> Favour for a friend.
>
> I don't expect to get too involved (have no intention of doing a clean
> install) but as I haven't touched XP in many years I'm wondering if Spybot,
> Adaware and CCleaner are still all I need, like they were way back when.
>
> Any other suggestions welcome. A reg cleaner maybe.

I wouldn't bother with a reg cleaner - may cause more problems than it's
worth. But on that, I tend to manaully fix the registry with
CrapCleaner (Ccleaner) and do little bits I'm sure of only. (In it's
Registry option, I right-click each registry section and scan - and I
uncheck everything and only check and fix those I'm sure of).

I wouldn't bother with Spybot or AdAware - both old and a bit useless,
IMO. Thesedays I prefer to use SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes
AntiMalware.

If you have (find) browser hi-jacking probs, HiJackThis is now FOSS and
available on Sourceforge.

However, you might find the Repair functions (as well as a scan) in
SuperAntiSpyware get rid of most of any browser hijacking problems. It
also has an excelent TCPIP stack reset funtion (for some reason, I find
running a 'netsh int ip reset c:\tcp-reset.log' from a command prompt,
doesn't always fix a hijacked IP/DNS stack).

--
Duncan.

Lodi

> Dave Doe wrote:

> I wouldn't bother with Spybot or AdAware - both old and a bit useless,

Speaking on behalf of the "old and a bit useless" brigade thanks for the
advice. Have added Malwarebytes to my toolkit

Thanks
Lodi

Peter Huebner

In article <jmsr3f$4if$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...

> Hi all
>
> Speaking of Windows XP...
>
> I'm supposed to be doing a clean-up on three sluggish laptops running XP.
> Favour for a friend.
>
> I don't expect to get too involved (have no intention of doing a clean
> install) but as I haven't touched XP in many years I'm wondering if Spybot,
> Adaware and CCleaner are still all I need, like they were way back when.
>
> Any other suggestions welcome. A reg cleaner maybe.
>
> Thanks
> Lodi

One of the most effective things in my toolbox is to run msconfig, go to
the 'startup' tab and disable all the unnecessary software that really
does NOT need to be running all the time. Winamp agent, HP this and
that, OCD software, what have you --- every idiot seems to think they're
entitled to put all kinds of crap into the autostart. When I slim all
that stuff down to what's really needed people are usually amazed how
much faster their computer boots and runs afterwards.

-P.

Lodi

> Peter Huebner wrote:
>
> One of the most effective things in my toolbox is to run msconfig, go to
> the 'startup' tab and disable all the unnecessary software that really
> does NOT need to be running all the time. Winamp agent, HP this and
> that, OCD software, what have you --- every idiot seems to think they're
> entitled to put all kinds of crap into the autostart. When I slim all
> that stuff down to what's really needed people are usually amazed how
> much faster their computer boots and runs afterwards.
>
> -P.

Thanks Peter. Will do

Lodi

JohnO

On Apr 22, 12:58*am, Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <jmsr3f$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>

> > Hi all

> > Speaking of Windows XP...

> > I'm supposed to be doing a clean-up on three sluggish laptops running XP.
> > Favour for a friend.

> > I don't expect to get too involved (have no intention of doing a clean
> > install) but as I haven't touched XP in many years I'm wondering if Spybot,
> > Adaware and CCleaner are still all I need, like they were way back when..

> > Any other suggestions welcome. A reg cleaner maybe.

> > Thanks
> > Lodi

> One of the most effective things in my toolbox is to run msconfig, go to
> the 'startup' tab and disable all the unnecessary software that really
> does NOT need to be running all the time. Winamp agent, HP this and
> that, OCD software, what have you --- every idiot seems to think they're
> entitled to put all kinds of crap into the autostart. When I slim all
> that stuff down to what's really needed people are usually amazed how
> much faster their computer boots and runs afterwards.
>
> -P.

Great advice. Along with, of course, going through control panel and
removing everything you don't need.

I want to make English-speaking friend to practic my poor English IchBin Java 1 03-26-2006 05:36 AM
Speaking of forms... Frogleg HTML 2 07-24-2004 08:02 AM
OT: Speaking in Tongues Leo Wong Java 14 06-01-2004 09:27 PM
Choosing Item(s) from JList for speaking danielliuhh@hotmail.com Java 2 01-09-2004 07:57 PM
Dragon Naturally Speaking Kevin Wallis Computer Support 0 07-15-2003 10:33 PM

Advertisments