Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows XP question...

Windows XP question...

~misfit~

Hi Folks, I'm still running XP and am happy with it. However I've noticed
new behaviour recently that has actually caught me out a couple of times.

It used to be that, if you copied files or folders into a folder or onto a
flash drive (for instance) they would stay in the order that they were
copied until you went 'View' - 'Refresh'. However, I noticed a wee while ago
that my folders have started periodically refreshing themselves (and
alphabetising the contents). It seems to happen several times a minute.

Is anyone else still using XP and seeing this? (I download and apply all
updates.) The first time I noticed it was when I (thought) I knew that I was
deleting first, third and sixth files from a flash drive and when I'd done
it realised that they'd 'moved' and I'd deleted the wrong ones. I ran my AV
and malware programmes but they found nothing.

So, anyone? If it *is* a new feature is there a way to turn it off?

Thanks,
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

~misfit~

> Hi Folks, I'm still running XP and am happy with it. However I've
> noticed new behaviour recently that has actually caught me out a
> couple of times.
> It used to be that, if you copied files or folders into a folder or
> onto a flash drive (for instance) they would stay in the order that
> they were copied until you went 'View' - 'Refresh'. However, I
> noticed a wee while ago that my folders have started periodically
> refreshing themselves (and alphabetising the contents). It seems to
> happen several times a minute.
> Is anyone else still using XP and seeing this? (I download and apply
> all updates.) The first time I noticed it was when I (thought) I knew
> that I was deleting first, third and sixth files from a flash drive
> and when I'd done it realised that they'd 'moved' and I'd deleted the
> wrong ones. I ran my AV and malware programmes but they found nothing.
>
> So, anyone? If it *is* a new feature is there a way to turn it off?
>
> Thanks,

Ok, I resorted to Google and it seems that a Windows Explorer update was
responsible. Lots of people not liking the new system (which I gather is
also part of W7 and lots of folks using 7 don't like it either) but the only
'fix' that looked reasonable was here:
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/r1040266854 So, I've deleted the
registry keys and am now crossing my fingers.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Richard

On 4/20/2012 8:11 PM, ~misfit~ wrote:

> Ok, I resorted to Google and it seems that a Windows Explorer update was
> responsible. Lots of people not liking the new system (which I gather is
> also part of W7 and lots of folks using 7 don't like it either) but the only
> 'fix' that looked reasonable was here:
> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/r1040266854 So, I've deleted the
> registry keys and am now crossing my fingers.

Really annoying when it does that when you are in the middle of a rename.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
> On 4/20/2012 8:11 PM, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> Ok, I resorted to Google and it seems that a Windows Explorer update
>> was responsible. Lots of people not liking the new system (which I
>> gather is also part of W7 and lots of folks using 7 don't like it
>> either) but the only 'fix' that looked reasonable was here:
>> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/r1040266854 So, I've
>> deleted the registry keys and am now crossing my fingers.

> Really annoying when it does that when you are in the middle of a
> rename.

**** yeah. I hope that I've fixed it with that reg edit. I haven't been into
folders much tonight, will find out soon I guess.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

~misfit~

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
>> On 4/20/2012 8:11 PM, ~misfit~ wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, I resorted to Google and it seems that a Windows Explorer update
>>> was responsible. Lots of people not liking the new system (which I
>>> gather is also part of W7 and lots of folks using 7 don't like it
>>> either) but the only 'fix' that looked reasonable was here:
>>> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/r1040266854 So, I've
>>> deleted the registry keys and am now crossing my fingers.

>> Really annoying when it does that when you are in the middle of a
>> rename.

> **** yeah. I hope that I've fixed it with that reg edit. I haven't
> been into folders much tonight, will find out soon I guess.

So, just as a follow-up - The fix located at the link above *did* work
(thank the gods). Now my folders don't keep auto-sorting every ~20 seconds -
or at all! Woohoo! <g>