Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Two routers with their own external static public IP's serving PORTIONS of the same internal subnet. Is that OK

Two routers with their own external static public IP's serving PORTIONS of the same internal subnet. Is that OK

barret bondon

Two routers with their own external static public IP's serving PORTIONS of
the same internal subnet. Is that OK ? Any nasty ramifications ?

So router1's external is xxx.xxx.xx.1 and two's is xxx.xxx.xx.2. 1's
internal address block is 192.168.0.3 to 0.160 with a gateway of 0.2 and
router 2's internal block runs say from 0.161 to 0.250 using a gate way of
0.1

All machines on the 0 subnet need to see each other (and can); again ,any
nasty problems in the future ?

Doug McIntyre

"barret bondon" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Two routers with their own external static public IP's serving PORTIONS of
>the same internal subnet. Is that OK ? Any nasty ramifications ?

Sure, that is fine. Not sure why you want to do it that way, it
doesn't offer load balancing or redundancy. It would be like you had
two networks, that may share a switch, but otherwise pass in the night.

>So router1's external is xxx.xxx.xx.1 and two's is xxx.xxx.xx.2. 1's
>internal address block is 192.168.0.3 to 0.160 with a gateway of 0.2 and
>router 2's internal block runs say from 0.161 to 0.250 using a gate way of
>0.1

This last line especially has me totally confused about what you
intend to do.

But people do do dual WAN firewall/routers all the time. That seems to
be what you want, but without any benefits, just the complexity.

barret bondon

No benefits , just added complexity, is a good way of putting it. It just
snuck up on me one very high pressured day at a client; the original
"router" is a very old PIX that I set up years ago and it started giving me
odd problems as I was adding new hosts behind it. I had a bunch of new cheap
off the self routers and just added one as I described . Been working fine
for 8 months, but I wondered if I had bought into some problems. Good to
hear what you had to say. Many thanks

"Doug McIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4f8ccd91$0$74664$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> "barret bondon" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> Two routers with their own external static public IP's serving PORTIONS
>> of
>>the same internal subnet. Is that OK ? Any nasty ramifications ?

> Sure, that is fine. Not sure why you want to do it that way, it
> doesn't offer load balancing or redundancy. It would be like you had
> two networks, that may share a switch, but otherwise pass in the night.
>
>>So router1's external is xxx.xxx.xx.1 and two's is xxx.xxx.xx.2. 1's
>>internal address block is 192.168.0.3 to 0.160 with a gateway of 0.2 and
>>router 2's internal block runs say from 0.161 to 0.250 using a gate way
>>of
>>0.1

> This last line especially has me totally confused about what you
> intend to do.
>
> But people do do dual WAN firewall/routers all the time. That seems to
> be what you want, but without any benefits, just the complexity.

Ciscohite

Yups... n rather its a gud design if used with good protocols like GLBP.. for detailed implementation.. see this -

http://www.ebrahma.com/2012/04/glbp-...first-hop.html