Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Blast to the past: Digital deliberately erasing the advancesof 100 years!

Re: Blast to the past: Digital deliberately erasing the advancesof 100 years!

Laszlo Lebrun

On 16/04/2012 08:38, Mxsmanic wrote:
> Has anyone noticed this? People are taking more and more digital photographs,
> but more and more of them have all sorts of stupid filters applied that
> effectively restore all the defects of the worst photos of 70 years ago.

The two guys who made that popular are now, after only two years of
business, billionaires...

nospam

In article <jmhkm0$7hg$(E-Mail Removed)>, Laszlo Lebrun
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Has anyone noticed this? People are taking more and more digital
> > photographs,
> > but more and more of them have all sorts of stupid filters applied that
> > effectively restore all the defects of the worst photos of 70 years ago.

> The two guys who made that popular are now, after only two years of
> business, billionaires...

15 months and it sold for 1 billion. the company has 12 employees. one
founder will get $400mil when it vests. i don't know what the other one
will get or rest of the employees.

the question everyone is asking is *why*?

Laszlo Lebrun

On 17/04/2012 02:23, nospam wrote:

> the question everyone is asking is *why*?

A business model built on the stupidity of people has every chance to be
successful. The raw material is renewable ad libitum.

Ryan McGinnis

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012, nospam wrote:

>> The two guys who made that popular are now, after only two years of
>> business, billionaires...

> 15 months and it sold for 1 billion. the company has 12 employees. one
> founder will get $400mil when it vests. i don't know what the other one
> will get or rest of the employees.
>
> the question everyone is asking is *why*?

Because the iPhone and Android platforms combined make up a large part of
photography equipment these days, and the Instagram app is one of the
most-used apps on these devices.

Ryan McGinnis * * * * * *(E-Mail Removed) * * * * ** *@bigstormpicture
Follow my storm chasing adventures at http://bigstormpicture.blogspot.com
Images@Getty: http://bit.ly/oDW1pT * * * *Images@AGE http://bit.ly/w4EuWB
The BIG Storm Picture: *http://bigstormpicture.com * *PGP Key: 0x65115E4C

nospam

In article <alpine.DEB.2.02.1204171305080.1890@ryan-BigStorm>, Ryan
McGinnis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> The two guys who made that popular are now, after only two years of
> >> business, billionaires...

> > 15 months and it sold for 1 billion. the company has 12 employees. one
> > founder will get $400mil when it vests. i don't know what the other one
> > will get or rest of the employees.
> >
> > the question everyone is asking is *why*?

> Because the iPhone and Android platforms combined make up a large part of
> photography equipment these days, and the Instagram app is one of the
> most-used apps on these devices.

true, but how is it worth 1 billion?? that's a lot of money.

also, instagram was iphone only until a couple of weeks ago. the
android version just came out.

Ryan McGinnis

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012, nospam wrote:

> true, but how is it worth 1 billion?? that's a lot of money.
>
> also, instagram was iphone only until a couple of weeks ago. the
> android version just came out.

Beats me. Maybe they have great patents. Or maybe they look at it as a
way to solidify their position as the dominant social media platform.