Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Go To Facebook Right Now...

Go To Facebook Right Now...

ckozicki@snet.net

Were you able to visit the site and/or log on?

-ChrisCoater

Paul

> Were you able to visit the site and/or log on?
>
> -ChrisCoater

I was able to visit the site.

Paul

ckozicki@snet.net

On Sunday, April 15, 2012 5:53:45 PM UTC-4, Paul wrote:
> wrote:
> > Were you able to visit the site and/or log on?
> >
> > -ChrisCoater

> I was able to visit the site.
>
> Paul

___________
Weird. As the time of my OP it was the standard "page cannot be displayed". Was just there 15 minutes prior to this typing; seems ok. No trouble either from my mobile.

What the..? is goin on?

-CC

Julie Bove

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> On Sunday, April 15, 2012 5:53:45 PM UTC-4, Paul wrote:
>> wrote:
>> > Were you able to visit the site and/or log on?
>> >
>> > -ChrisCoater

>> I was able to visit the site.
>>
>> Paul

> ___________
> Weird. As the time of my OP it was the standard "page cannot be
> displayed". Was just there 15 minutes prior to this typing; seems ok. No
> trouble either from my mobile.
>
> What the..? is goin on?
>
> -CC

I've had that happen and yet my daughter who will be sitting mere feet
behind me can log in from her puter. Dunno.

Paul

Julie Bove wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> I was able to visit the site.
>>>
>>> Paul

>> ___________
>> Weird. As the time of my OP it was the standard "page cannot be
>> displayed". Was just there 15 minutes prior to this typing; seems ok. No
>> trouble either from my mobile.
>>
>> What the..? is goin on?
>>
>> -CC

> I've had that happen and yet my daughter who will be sitting mere feet
> behind me can log in from her puter. Dunno.

When it happens, you have the option of using a packet sniffer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireshark

In the View : Name Resolution, you turn on all the options there, to
get the display to use a bit more plain English (i.e. translate numeric
IP addresses into symbolic ones like "connect.facebook.com").

What you'd hope to see there, is evidence of a simple networking failure,
or perhaps the server sending back a "RST" packet. Those might be easier to
analyze and guess at. If the actual problem is during the login phase, the
login could be over https protocol, using SSL for encryption, in which case,
Wireshark really can't help you (you'd need a way to decrypt the packets).

You can download the source code for Firefox, and compile your own copy.
And in doing so, you can turn on Debug Mode. But when I tried to debug
a problem I was working on, I found the 1.2 million lines of code in
there, was really too much to comprehend. I never did find the call
I was looking for, despite multiple text searches in the source
directory. It's just too much to navigate. And single stepping
in Visual Studio wasn't getting me anywhere fast, either. It took
a whole long day, to download around 2GB of files, set up Visual
Studio, and get the source to compile. Great fun though

This is a screenshot of the output of Firefox debug mode (the black
window). The "mozconfig" file, is how you tell the build environment,
what kind of build you want (debug or release version etc). So it is
possible to hack the code, something you couldn't do with
Internet Explorer.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1456/v3628running.gif

The "Namoroka" text at the top of the window, is the branding of Firefox
when it isn't compiled as an official release.

See, isn't free software fun ?

Paul

meagain

Paul wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> Weird. As the time of my OP it was the standard "page cannot be
>>> displayed". Was just there 15 minutes prior to this typing; seems ok. No
>>> trouble either from my mobile.
>>>
>>> What the..? is goin on?
>>>
>>> -CC

>> I've had that happen and yet my daughter who will be sitting mere feet
>> behind me can log in from her puter. Dunno.

Try flushing DNS cache: cached data can be in error once in while.

ipconfig/flushdns