Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Unreadable CD-Rs: I guess ten years is about the limit

Re: Unreadable CD-Rs: I guess ten years is about the limit

Felix

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 11:16:36 +0200, Alfred Molon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Mxsmanic
>says...
>> I went to pull an archived scan off a CD today, and the CD was unreadable.
>> Scratch that photo. The CD-R had been burned in 2002, so that's ten years. I
>> have no idea how many other archive CDs of mine are also unreadable. I guess
>> I'll find out eventually.

>This can happen at any time, even with a freshly burnt disk. You can't
>make a general rule about it (although at a certain age it's likely more
>media will start failing).
>
>The only general rule you can make is that you should always store
>multiple copies on different media.

Older CDswere written at low speeds. Many burned at those speeds
cannot be read on more recent high-speed CD or DVD reader/burners.

If you have one, try using an old CD reader from an old PC. If you
don't have one, maybe someone you know does.

Regards,

Felix

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Felix
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Older CDswere written at low speeds. Many burned at those speeds
> cannot be read on more recent high-speed CD or DVD reader/burners.

that is complete utter nonsense.

using a different cd drive is a good idea but its rated read speed is
irrelevant.

RichA

On Apr 15, 10:22*am, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Felix
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Older CDswere written at low speeds. Many burned at those speeds
> > cannot be read on more recent high-speed CD or DVD reader/burners.

> that is complete utter nonsense.
>
> using a different cd drive is a good idea but its rated read speed is
> irrelevant.

I don't know if it's speed, but there have been instances where
different burners could not read what they each produced.

nospam

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > using a different cd drive is a good idea but its rated read speed is
> > irrelevant.

> I don't know if it's speed, but there have been instances where
> different burners could not read what they each produced.

true, which is why i said using a different drive is a good idea. the
read speed of the drive doesn't matter. what does matter includes
lasers wearing out, alignment, media reflectivity, etc.

Re: Unreadable CD-Rs: I guess ten years is about the limit Joe Kotroczo Digital Photography 3 04-17-2012 01:52 PM
Re: Unreadable CD-Rs: I guess ten years is about the limit Mort Digital Photography 5 04-16-2012 01:28 PM
Re: Unreadable CD-Rs: I guess ten years is about the limit nospam Digital Photography 1 04-15-2012 03:20 PM
Ten years on.... Clarence Python 1 08-21-2007 07:58 AM
Ten years of the net ^reaper^ HTML 0 08-10-2005 07:39 PM

Advertisments