Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > What to read after Deitel's C++?

What to read after Deitel's C++?

Richards

I have found online and have been recommended the following books (in
roughly reading order):

Other introductory books to look into:
- Prata - C++ Primer
Plus
- Stroustrup - Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++
- Andrew Koenig and Barbara E. Moo - Accelerarted C++
- Lippman - C++ Primer
- Clovis L. Tondo and Bruce P. Leung - C++ Primer Answer Book

After becoming confident (beginner) in basic C++, and want to become
an intermediate to "good" programmer:
- Scott Meyer - Effective C++
- Scott Meyer - More Effective C+
+
- Eckel - Thinking in C++ ; this is mainly for C to C++ programmers,
correct??
- Scott Meyer - Effective STL
- Herb Sutter - Exceptional C++
- Herb Sutter - More Exceptional C++
- The C++ Programming Language (by Stroustrup)
- Andrei Alexandrescu - Modern C++ Design
- Vandevoorde and Josuttis - C++ Templates: The Complete Guide
- Langer and Kreft - C++ Templates: The Complete Guide

Could you enlighten me if this seems like a good order to go from
being a beginner to an intermediate/"good" C++ programmer? Also, what
would be the time frame/commitment be become a "good" C++ programmer
(to get an entry-level to mid-level job/internship for example)?

Thanks in advance!

Note: I have read Deitel's 7th edition if that makes a difference in
your recommendations.

Krice

On 14 huhti, 22:00, Richards <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> would be the time frame/commitment be become a "good" C++ programmer
> (to get an entry-level to mid-level job/internship for example)?

Getting a job has almost nothing to do how good you are.
So don't panic. Just pretend you know something, learn to talk
smooth and you got it.

Reading some books might help, but they wont if you don't get it.
Usually understanding programming means you need to try stuff
yourself and be really analytic of what works and what doesn't work.

Pavel

Richards wrote:
> I have found online and have been recommended the following books (in
> roughly reading order):
>
> Other introductory books to look into:
> - Prata - C++ Primer
> Plus
> - Stroustrup - Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++
> - Andrew Koenig and Barbara E. Moo - Accelerarted C++
> - Lippman - C++ Primer
> - Clovis L. Tondo and Bruce P. Leung - C++ Primer Answer Book
>
> After becoming confident (beginner) in basic C++, and want to become
> an intermediate to "good" programmer:
> - Scott Meyer - Effective C++
> - Scott Meyer - More Effective C+
> +
> - Eckel - Thinking in C++ ; this is mainly for C to C++ programmers,
> correct??
> - Scott Meyer - Effective STL
> - Herb Sutter - Exceptional C++
> - Herb Sutter - More Exceptional C++
> - The C++ Programming Language (by Stroustrup)
> - Andrei Alexandrescu - Modern C++ Design
> - Vandevoorde and Josuttis - C++ Templates: The Complete Guide
> - Langer and Kreft - C++ Templates: The Complete Guide
>
> Could you enlighten me if this seems like a good order to go from
> being a beginner to an intermediate/"good" C++ programmer? Also, what
> would be the time frame/commitment be become a "good" C++ programmer
> (to get an entry-level to mid-level job/internship for example)?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Note: I have read Deitel's 7th edition if that makes a difference in
> your recommendations.

I would recommend a shortened list, something like Lippman -> Eckel ->
Alexandrescu and more practice in the freed time .

In parallel, read language-independent stuff such as Grady Booch
"Object-Oriented Analysis and Design with Applications" (the earlier edition the
better) and GoF's "Design Patterns"

Try to find answers to your language question in the Standard. IMHO there is no
replacement for reading the Standard.

Answers to some (but not all) "why" questions can be found at "The Design and
Evolution of C++" of Bjarne Stroustrup.

HTH
-Pavel

nick_keighley_nospam@hotmail.com

On Saturday, April 14, 2012 8:00:54 PM UTC+1, Richards wrote:

> I have found online and have been recommended the following books (in
> roughly reading order):
>
> Other introductory books to look into:
> - Prata - C++ Primer
> Plus
> - Stroustrup - Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++
> - Andrew Koenig and Barbara E. Moo - Accelerarted C++
> - Lippman - C++ Primer
> - Clovis L. Tondo and Bruce P. Leung - C++ Primer Answer Book

you've got through one introductory book, I'd suggest giving an intermediate book a go

> After becoming confident (beginner) in basic C++, and want to become
> an intermediate to "good" programmer:
> - Scott Meyer - Effective C++
> - Scott Meyer - More Effective C+

Scott Meyer's books are a fairly easy read

[...]

> - Scott Meyer - Effective STL
> - Herb Sutter - Exceptional C++

also good reads

> - Herb Sutter - More Exceptional C++
> - The C++ Programming Language (by Stroustrup)

I'd almost put this in the beginners category though it covers the whole language

> - Andrei Alexandrescu - Modern C++ Design

/not/ easy going. I'm not even convinced it's a good idea (template meta-programming that is)

> - Vandevoorde and Josuttis - C++ Templates: The Complete Guide

great book if you're a heavy STL user

[...]

> Could you enlighten me if this seems like a good order to go from
> being a beginner to an intermediate/"good" C++ programmer?

up to you really. Do you want to be a better C++ programmer?

> Also, what
> would be the time frame/commitment be become a "good" C++ programmer

years, decades, aeons

> (to get an entry-level to mid-level job/internship for example)?

bit of a luck of the draw thing. If you can convince them you're reasonably knowledgeable of C++ they may take you on.

Write lots of programs.