Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Difference between cast magnesium and brass/chrome panels

Difference between cast magnesium and brass/chrome panels

RichA

On Apr 12, 10:01*pm, Mort <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> RichA wrote:

> >> Hi,

> >> My Olympus OM-4T bodies have titanium panels, and are strong, reasonably
> >> attractive, and durable,with no paint to peel off. It is too bad that
> >> titanium panels are not used on current digital cameras, to my knowledge.

> >> Mort Linder

> > I had an OM-4T, unfortunately, the outer finish was heavily worn (I
> > got it and a 55mm f1.2 lens for $200 so it's understandable the
> > condition was as it was) and the goldish colour titanium shows
> > through. *But it still worked.

> >http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/97688614

> Is titanium metal gold colored? I thought that it was a rather
> silvery-metallic color. Are you sure that it was an OM-4T, and not an
> OM-4, where wear would show brass?
>
> Regards,
>
> Mort Linder

Yes, note the T in the image.

Bruce

RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Apr 12, 10:01*pm, Mort <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> RichA wrote:
>> > I had an OM-4T, unfortunately, the outer finish was heavily worn (I
>> > got it and a 55mm f1.2 lens for $200 so it's understandable the
>> > condition was as it was) and the goldish colour titanium shows
>> > through. *But it still worked.

>> >http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/97688614

>> Is titanium metal gold colored? I thought that it was a rather
>> silvery-metallic color. Are you sure that it was an OM-4T, and not an
>> OM-4, where wear would show brass?

>Yes, note the T in the image.

Titanium isn't gold coloured, it is a dull silver with a strong
brownish tinge.

That camera looks in poor cosmetic shape but its picture-taking
ability should be as good as new. The OM4-T was even more bulletproof
than the titanium Nikon SLRs.

The lens is interesting. It was marketed by C. Z. Scientific
Instruments Limited, a UK company that imported and distributed East
German Praktica, Pentacon and Carl Zeiss (Jena) products in western
markets.

By the late 1970s, sales of the increasingly out of date East German
products were in sharp decline, and C. Z. Scientific Instruments
Limited took on the agency for Sigma lenses. It didn't take them long
to realise that buying cheap Sigma lenses rebranded as "Carl Zeiss
Jena", whose trademark they were licensed to use in many western
markets, would make them vastly more money (and more easily) than
trying to sell outdated East German glass.

Their desire for maximum profit also meant that the lenses Sigma
supplied were not their latest or best designs. Basically, they were
the sort of cheap junk that Sigma became renowned for. Similar cheap
Sigma designs were sold in north America under the Quantaray brand.

So your "Carl Zeiss Jena" 24mm f/2.8 is just a cheap re-badged Sigma,
made in Japan. It isn't all bad news, though, because the Sigma 24mm
was quite a good lens, offering good sharpness at the expense of quite
a lot of barrel distortion.