Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Too quiet anymore.

Too quiet anymore.

Drew

Sad to see that this group has become so quiet anymore.This was always
one of the few places where you could get great honest help without the
ridiculous flame wars that have become so prevalent in other groups. I
will continue to monitor it hoping it will survive though.

Martin

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 16:28:22 -0700, Drew
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Sad to see that this group has become so quiet anymore.This was always
>one of the few places where you could get great honest help without the
>ridiculous flame wars that have become so prevalent in other groups. I
>will continue to monitor it hoping it will survive though.

Yeah, there's not a lot happening
--
Martin

BullDawg

Even the trolls have gone away!

--
______________

BullDawg
In God We Trust
______________
"Martin " <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 16:28:22 -0700, Drew
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Sad to see that this group has become so quiet anymore.This was always
>>one of the few places where you could get great honest help without the
>>ridiculous flame wars that have become so prevalent in other groups. I
>>will continue to monitor it hoping it will survive though.

> Yeah, there's not a lot happening
> --
> Martin

Charlie Russel-MVP

I agree, but once MS killed it on their end, there was little hope we'd
survive at the level of before.

Of course the other side of that is that I never expected us to last at
those levels regardless of MS participation. Primarily becasue the mandate
of the group is no longer relevant. Keep in mind that we were formed to
address 64-bit specific problems when 64-bit was on the bleeding edge. It's
now impossible to buy a server that isn't 64-bit capable, and barely
possible to buy a client PC that isn't. Plus Windows Server is ONLY
available in 64-bit, and Windows 7 (and Windows are at complete parity
with the 32-bit versions. And frankly, I can't even imagine a scenario where
I would install anything except the 64-bit version.

--
Charlie.
http://blogs.msmvps.com/russel

"Drew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jm542n$r5k$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sad to see that this group has become so quiet anymore.This was always one
> of the few places where you could get great honest help without the
> ridiculous flame wars that have become so prevalent in other groups. I
> will continue to monitor it hoping it will survive though.

miso

On 4/12/2012 4:02 PM, Charlie Russel-MVP wrote:
> I agree, but once MS killed it on their end, there was little hope we'd
> survive at the level of before.
>
> Of course the other side of that is that I never expected us to last at
> those levels regardless of MS participation. Primarily becasue the
> mandate of the group is no longer relevant. Keep in mind that we were
> formed to address 64-bit specific problems when 64-bit was on the
> bleeding edge. It's now impossible to buy a server that isn't 64-bit
> capable, and barely possible to buy a client PC that isn't. Plus Windows
> Server is ONLY available in 64-bit, and Windows 7 (and Windows are at
> complete parity with the 32-bit versions. And frankly, I can't even
> imagine a scenario where I would install anything except the 64-bit
> version.

There are still issues running 32 bit software. This program gets the
equivalent of a segmentation fault in Linux. [I forget the MS error code.]
> http://www.coaa.co.uk/planeplotter.htm

Supposedly I'm the only person that has crashes. I'm tempted to load up
the XP emulator, but I run the program on an intel Atom, which isn't
exactly the beefiest hardware.

I make it a point not to buy hobby shop software because invariably when
I do, the program is flaky and in theory it works great for everyone
else. However I was assured this person knows what they are doing.

Drew

Hey RC.. I guess that is as good reason as any!

On 4/11/2012 6:28 PM, R. C. White wrote:
> Hi, Drew.
>
> I'm still here. But you sure are right about "too quiet".
>
> Thanks for posting. Your message moved that porn post off the bottom (or
> top) line as the last post in this NG.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> Microsoft Windows MVP (2002-2010)
> Windows Live Mail 2011 (Build 15.4.3555.030 in Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1
>

> "Drew" wrote in message news:jm542n$r5k$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Sad to see that this group has become so quiet anymore.This was always
> one of the few places where you could get great honest help without the
> ridiculous flame wars that have become so prevalent in other groups. I
> will continue to monitor it hoping it will survive though.

Carlos

Hi Charlie and the rest!
We may be fading away, but no one can claim our well earned title: We
were the FIRST brave x64 crew around.
Long live the x64 settlers.

Carlos

On 12 abr, 20:02, "Charlie Russel-MVP"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I agree, but once MS killed it on their end, there was little hope we'd
> survive at the level of before.
>
> Of course the other side of that is that I never expected us to last at
> those levels regardless of MS participation. Primarily becasue the mandate
> of the group is no longer relevant. Keep in mind that we were formed to
> address 64-bit specific problems when 64-bit was on the bleeding edge. It's
> now impossible to buy a server that isn't 64-bit capable, and barely
> possible to buy a client PC that isn't. Plus Windows Server is ONLY
> available in 64-bit, and Windows 7 (and Windows are at complete parity
> with the 32-bit versions. And frankly, I can't even imagine a scenario where
> I would install anything except the 64-bit version.
>
> --
> Charlie.http://blogs.msmvps.com/russel
>
> "Drew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:jm542n$r5k$(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > Sad to see that this group has become so quiet anymore.This was always one
> > of the few places where you could get great honest help without the
> > ridiculous flame wars that have become so prevalent in other groups. I
> > will continue to monitor it hoping it will survive though.

Charlie Russel-MVP

Hi, Carlos. We were indeed the pioneers. And we have the arrows in our backs
to prove it.