Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Looking for advice choosing a mobile phone & plan

Looking for advice choosing a mobile phone & plan

Peter Huebner

In article <r8dk7o3rm8b7$(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)d says...

> On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 21:38:14 +1200, Peter Huebner wrote:
>
> > In article <shrdocbn5inw.5sr1g465m8l0$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > (E-Mail Removed)d says...

> SNIP ...
> >
> > First thing to do is to look at the coverage maps on the companies'
> > websites. I found that in my area Vodaphone has MUCH better coverage
> > than Telecom. I also find that more of our friends have Vodaphone
> > phones, so they'll be cheaper to call (I hope).
> >
> > Second thing I did was read a passel of phone reviews. I ended up buying
> > 2nd hand on tardeme a phone that was reported as having good
> > connectivity and nice loud sound. Looking at the reviews not all phones
> > are equally able to hold a connection to the network, and some are not
> > loud enough to understand in a noisy environment. Personally I don't
> > give a stuff about cameras and such, I have a dslr, I don't need a phone
> > to take pictures, and I'm not going to use my phone as an mp3 player or
> > such like.
> >
> > -P.

> Thanks,
>
> Hadn't thought of buying second hand as I assumed it might be risky.
>
> Just for curiosity, which model did you end up choosing?
>
> Any tips for where to get reviews of phones relevant to NZ?
> Whenever I venture into Google I seem to get swamped with results that
> aren't relevant to what I want (ie I'm apparently not all that good at
> asking the questions in the right way).
>
> Cheers,
>
> John S

I got an LG Optimus 500. So far I'm happy with it. To me it seemed to
have the best price to performance ratio of all the models I checked
out; Sure, the Samsung Galaxy 9001 is better, but it also costs more
than twice as much.
The irony is I haven't made a call on it yet, but I've used it to check
email while in town a couple of times. Works a treat. In the same boat
as you, our old telecom phone is about to expire. We don't even live in
the coverage area, but vodaphone's is closer, so I changed over.

As far as 'phones relevant to nz' goes: the thing to look for in
smartphones is the 3G network spec: Telecom runs 3G on 850, Vodaphone
and 2degrees run on 900 (mostly this applies for rural areas as far as I
know), so you have to decide what provider you want to go with before
you look at models. All the smartphones I looked at in reviews seem to
have the necessary specs to work with all the 2G (that's voice calling)
frequencies.

If you find a model you want to know about and you type "review samsung
galaxy 9100" into google, you'll get a host of review sites. Sometimes
you even get links to pages that compare similar models. It pays to
check out several reviews in my opinion, seems some of the reviewers are
more concerned with the toy and accessory aspect of the damn things than
with the performance as a telephone. But I always managed to get the
info I wanted in the end.

www.gsmarena.com is helpful, so are
www.techradar.com
www.phonearena.com
www.expertreviews.co.uk have a few as well --- there are a handful of
other sites with less content, cnet's Aussie site for instance - but if
you search for a specific review then typing the model in to google is
the best bet.

Incidentally - unless you want to go with telecom, I'd beware of trademe
offers of refurbished smartphones with US teleco brand names and models
made specifically for those -- they almost all only work on telecom
frequencies and they all get middling to bad reviews from the experts
for functionality (broken connections, slow, not loud enough). There's
one or two trademe pros who seem to bring those in by the crate.

h.t.h., -Peter

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
> On 14/04/2012 4:11 p.m., John S wrote:
>
>> I thought I would look at that one anyway, although misfit reported
>> earlier that he found the interface on a cheap Samsung was horrible.

> It's much better than the previous Samsungs I have had the misfortune
> to use.

My experience *was* two years ago as well so I can't speak for contemporary
models.
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

grum

On 14/04/2012 4:11 p.m., John S wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 22:24:37 +1200, EMB wrote:
>
>> On 13/04/2012 5:55 p.m., John S wrote:
>>
>>> Will check out the cheapo Telecom U3100N to see how easy it is to use.

>> Get the Samsung E3210 - not much price difference but a vastly superior
>> phone. I wanted 200 cheap phones on our corporate plan and our mobile
>> rep actively discouraged going for the U3100N.

> Thanks,
>
> I thought I would look at that one anyway, although misfit reported earlier
> that he found the interface on a cheap Samsung was horrible.
>
> But Grum said nice things about the Samsung E3210, so I must have a look at
> it. If my wife is going to use it, then "easy to use" is high on the list.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John S

Yep. You only have to spend a moment with a U3100 in one hand and a 3210
in the other to make the right decision here.

John S

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 17:48:05 +1200, John S wrote:

> I have a cheap CDMA phone on the 027 Telecom network which will stop
> working in mid July, so have been trying to figure out what I should do for
> a replacement.

SNIP

Just following up my own post to say thanks again to everyone for the
comments.

In case anyone is interested, I bought the Samsung E3210B from Telecom for
the discounted price of $49.00 as an existing CDMA customer.

I quite like the phone after playing with it for a while, but am
disappointed at the supplied instructions.

The user manual is printed in tiny print on one piece of paper folded into
5 x 3 sections. It mainly deals with the basics OK, but says nothing on
several settings I've looked at so far while playing with the phone.

For example, it doesn't explain how predictive texting works, and doesn't
even explain how to enter text - presumes that everyone understands how to
do this I guess.

I emailed Samsung, asking if a more detailed manual is available.
At least, they answered my email, but the answer in NO.

Their email suggested I phone their customer help centre if I need advice.

Cheers,

John S

Dave Doe

In article <2jlbang0hwxl.1dymiew0el8en$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed)d, John S says...

> On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 17:48:05 +1200, John S wrote:
>
> > I have a cheap CDMA phone on the 027 Telecom network which will stop
> > working in mid July, so have been trying to figure out what I should do for
> > a replacement.
> >

> SNIP
>
> Just following up my own post to say thanks again to everyone for the
> comments.
>
> In case anyone is interested, I bought the Samsung E3210B from Telecom for
> the discounted price of $49.00 as an existing CDMA customer.
>
> I quite like the phone after playing with it for a while, but am
> disappointed at the supplied instructions.
>
> The user manual is printed in tiny print on one piece of paper folded into
> 5 x 3 sections. It mainly deals with the basics OK, but says nothing on
> several settings I've looked at so far while playing with the phone.
>
> For example, it doesn't explain how predictive texting works, and doesn't
> even explain how to enter text - presumes that everyone understands how to
> do this I guess.
>
> I emailed Samsung, asking if a more detailed manual is available.
> At least, they answered my email, but the answer in NO.
>
> Their email suggested I phone their customer help centre if I need advice.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John S

Perhaps you can find a manual on their website - and so make the text
nice 'n large!

--
Duncan.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
> On 21/04/2012 6:01 p.m., John S wrote:
>

>> In case anyone is interested, I bought the Samsung E3210B from
>> Telecom for the discounted price of $49.00 as an existing CDMA
>> customer. I quite like the phone after playing with it for a while, but
>> am
>> disappointed at the supplied instructions.
>>
>> The user manual is printed in tiny print on one piece of paper
>> folded into 5 x 3 sections. It mainly deals with the basics OK, but
>> says nothing on several settings I've looked at so far while playing
>> with the phone. For example, it doesn't explain how predictive texting
>> works, and
>> doesn't even explain how to enter text - presumes that everyone
>> understands how to do this I guess.
>>
>> I emailed Samsung, asking if a more detailed manual is available.
>> At least, they answered my email, but the answer in NO.

> It's bloody good value at that price. The situation with manuals
> seems to apply to all cellphones now - the entire Telecom cellphone
> range (even the Nokia Lumia 800 priced at the best part of a grand)
> only come with a brief set of instructions about fitting the SIM and
> battery.

Yeah but there's a downladable manual for it. That was an issue I had with
my Samsung a few years back. Thin manual in box so assumed I'd need to d/l a
pdf.... Yet there wasn't one available.
--

On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 23:56:12 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

> Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
>> On 21/04/2012 6:01 p.m., John S wrote:
>>

>>> In case anyone is interested, I bought the Samsung E3210B from
>>> Telecom for the discounted price of $49.00 as an existing CDMA
>>> customer. I quite like the phone after playing with it for a while, but
>>> am
>>> disappointed at the supplied instructions.
>>>
>>> The user manual is printed in tiny print on one piece of paper
>>> folded into 5 x 3 sections. It mainly deals with the basics OK, but
>>> says nothing on several settings I've looked at so far while playing
>>> with the phone. For example, it doesn't explain how predictive texting
>>> works, and
>>> doesn't even explain how to enter text - presumes that everyone
>>> understands how to do this I guess.
>>>
>>> I emailed Samsung, asking if a more detailed manual is available.
>>> At least, they answered my email, but the answer in NO.

>> It's bloody good value at that price. The situation with manuals
>> seems to apply to all cellphones now - the entire Telecom cellphone
>> range (even the Nokia Lumia 800 priced at the best part of a grand)
>> only come with a brief set of instructions about fitting the SIM and
>> battery.

> Yeah but there's a downladable manual for it. That was an issue I had with
> my Samsung a few years back. Thin manual in box so assumed I'd need to d/l a
> pdf.... Yet there wasn't one available.

OK, but when I downloaded the user manual on the Samsung site, it was
exactly the same as the manual supplied with the phone - in fact it looked
like a photo of the supplied manual, saved as a .pdf, with not great
resolution

Cheers,

John S