Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Battery Life is VERY short

Battery Life is VERY short

Dom

Hi everyone --

I have a Sony Cybershot dsc-tx1. The battery needs to be recharged
nearly every day if I make extensive use of it. Should I get a new
battery, or is this what I should expect? The camera and battery is
only a month old, purchased new through Amazon.

Dom

Dom

On Apr 10, 7:09*pm, Dom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi everyone --
>
> I have a Sony Cybershot dsc-tx1. *The battery needs to be recharged
> nearly every day if I make extensive use of it. *Should I get a new
> battery, or is this what I should expect? *The camera and battery is
> only a month old, purchased new through Amazon.
>
> Dom

And I should add one more thing. The battery gradually dies even when
it is not in use. If I charge it, and wait a few days without using
it, the battery is only about half charged.

Dom

philo

On 04/10/2012 06:09 PM, Dom wrote:
> Hi everyone --
>
> I have a Sony Cybershot dsc-tx1. The battery needs to be recharged
> nearly every day if I make extensive use of it. Should I get a new
> battery, or is this what I should expect? The camera and battery is
> only a month old, purchased new through Amazon.
>
> Dom

Not normal

if you are sure you are charging it properly check your warranty

But first I'd charge and discharge it several times and see if anything
improves. If the battery sat for a long time it may need to be cycled to
re-gain capacity

--
https://www.createspace.com/3707686

Dom

On Apr 10, 9:29*pm, philo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 04/10/2012 06:09 PM, Dom wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone --

> > I have a Sony Cybershot dsc-tx1. *The battery needs to be recharged
> > nearly every day if I make extensive use of it. *Should I get a new
> > battery, or is this what I should expect? *The camera and battery is
> > only a month old, purchased new through Amazon.

> > Dom

> Not normal
>
> if you are sure you are charging it properly check your warranty
>
> But first I'd charge and discharge it several times and see if anything
> improves. If the battery sat for a long time it may need to be cycled to
> re-gain capacity
>
> --https://www.createspace.com/3707686

Thanks. It's been charged and discharged several times already. I'm
going to check the warranty and get in touch with Sony.

Andrew Brydon

On 11/04/2012 00:15, Dom wrote:
> On Apr 10, 7:09 pm, Dom<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi everyone --
>>
>> I have a Sony Cybershot dsc-tx1. The battery needs to be recharged
>> nearly every day if I make extensive use of it. Should I get a new
>> battery, or is this what I should expect? The camera and battery is
>> only a month old, purchased new through Amazon.
>>
>> Dom

> And I should add one more thing. The battery gradually dies even when
> it is not in use. If I charge it, and wait a few days without using
> it, the battery is only about half charged.

I get the overly-heavy run-down when not in use with a Sony DSC TX5.
Was assuming it was just a quirk of the DSC-TXs.

--
Andrew Brydon
Life is just the beta-version of death

Martin Brown

On 11/04/2012 06:03, Andrew Brydon wrote:
> On 11/04/2012 00:15, Dom wrote:
>> On Apr 10, 7:09 pm, Dom<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Hi everyone --
>>>
>>> I have a Sony Cybershot dsc-tx1. The battery needs to be recharged
>>> nearly every day if I make extensive use of it. Should I get a new
>>> battery, or is this what I should expect? The camera and battery is
>>> only a month old, purchased new through Amazon.
>>>
>>> Dom

>> And I should add one more thing. The battery gradually dies even when
>> it is not in use. If I charge it, and wait a few days without using
>> it, the battery is only about half charged.

That seems exceptionally quick to me. Does the battery hold its charge
when fully charged and not in the camera? Placed somewhere safe where
its terminals cannot be shorted out. NB these batteries have very high
energy densities - enough to catch fire if shorted across the terminals
so you don't want to put it anywhere that would risk that!

> I get the overly-heavy run-down when not in use with a Sony DSC TX5.
> Was assuming it was just a quirk of the DSC-TXs.

It would be useful to name and shame some of the brands that have this
sort of annoying characteristic. Crashing a battery into the ground for
extended periods of time can even render it beyond recovery.

Quite a few cameras that take AA cells do not get on with rechargable
NiMH cells as the "undervoltage" protection trips out too early. And
most rechargables have a certain self disacharge rate some more rapid
than others. I have found NiMH not the greatest in this respect (if I
was being unkind I'd brand them "NeverReady") and I always carry a spare
set of secondary cells for my Pentax istD.

I do the same for all power hungry cameras (spare charged battery).
My first digicam a Kodak DC-120 ate batteries drawing nearly 2A peak a
set of fresh batteries would last only an hour or two on a bad day!
Things have improved a lot since then...

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

NM5K

On 4/10/2012 6:15 PM, Dom wrote:
> On Apr 10, 7:09 pm, Dom<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi everyone --
>>
>> I have a Sony Cybershot dsc-tx1. The battery needs to be recharged
>> nearly every day if I make extensive use of it. Should I get a new
>> battery, or is this what I should expect? The camera and battery is
>> only a month old, purchased new through Amazon.
>>
>> Dom

> And I should add one more thing. The battery gradually dies even when
> it is not in use. If I charge it, and wait a few days without using
> it, the battery is only about half charged.
>
> Dom

The first part could be normal.. But I guess it depends on what
you mean by extensive.. I can use up most of a charge in a day if
I'm clicking off a lot of shots. But that will be quite a few images,
and I bracket three a pop.. Will be a few hundred anyway I would
think.. And video will run em down a bit faster.

The second part, it's normal to see some discharge, even if
no drain. But I bet there is some drain with that camera, even
when off. IE: it's probably charging it's internal battery for
one thing. In fact, I still have one new W-290 in the box that
I've never really used yet, and I have to insert a battery every
once in a while if I want to keep the internal cell charged, and not
lose the settings.
The internal cell is charged off the lithium ion when it's in the
camera.
My W290's use the lithium ion batteries like a cell phone uses..
Not sure what you are using, being as Sony recently switched to allow
some regular common size cells to be used.
I keep a charger almost everywhere I go, so I've never really
worried about it too much.. I've got the Sony charger I keep
at the house, and I have another one I bought off fleabay
that I keep in my car. It runs either 117 or 12v..
The Sony version only works 117v..
Ditto for my laptop.. I have both house and car charger/PS's.
I hardly ever actually use the battery in the laptop for power.
It's usually plugged in to either the wall, or my 12v outlet
in the car when I'm portable.

BTW, batteries can vary a good bit.. Some brands are good,
but some battery packs use cheap cells being as no one can
tell unless they break them apart. Most packs from China
probably use about the cheapest cells they can get away with.. :/

Dom

On Apr 11, 6:05*am, NM5K <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The first part could be normal.. But I guess it depends on what
> you mean by extensive.. I can use up most of a charge in a day if
> I'm clicking off a lot of shots. But that will be quite a few images,
> and I bracket three a pop.. Will be a few hundred anyway I would
> think

No, my camera's battery is dead after about 50 images tops.

Dom

GMAN

In article <rT9hr.17781$(E-Mail Removed)>, Martin Brown <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>On 11/04/2012 06:03, Andrew Brydon wrote:

>>> And I should add one more thing. The battery gradually dies even when
>>> it is not in use. If I charge it, and wait a few days without using
>>> it, the battery is only about half charged.

>That seems exceptionally quick to me. Does the battery hold its charge
>when fully charged and not in the camera? Placed somewhere safe where
>its terminals cannot be shorted out. NB these batteries have very high
>energy densities - enough to catch fire if shorted across the terminals
>so you don't want to put it anywhere that would risk that!
>>
>> I get the overly-heavy run-down when not in use with a Sony DSC TX5.
>> Was assuming it was just a quirk of the DSC-TXs.

>It would be useful to name and shame some of the brands that have this
>sort of annoying characteristic. Crashing a battery into the ground for
>extended periods of time can even render it beyond recovery.
>
>Quite a few cameras that take AA cells do not get on with rechargable
>NiMH cells as the "undervoltage" protection trips out too early. And
>most rechargables have a certain self disacharge rate some more rapid
>than others. I have found NiMH not the greatest in this respect (if I
>was being unkind I'd brand them "NeverReady") and I always carry a spare
>set of secondary cells for my Pentax istD.
>
>I do the same for all power hungry cameras (spare charged battery).
>My first digicam a Kodak DC-120 ate batteries drawing nearly 2A peak a
>set of fresh batteries would last only an hour or two on a bad day!
>Things have improved a lot since then...

To add to this, some cameras that take AA batteries have a setting inside some
menu where you tell the camera whether you are using rechargeable or regular
Alkaline AA

Dom

On Apr 11, 1:09*pm, (E-Mail Removed) (GMAN) wrote:
> In article <rT9hr.17781$(E-Mail Removed)>, Martin Brown <|||(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >That seems exceptionally quick to me. Does the battery hold its charge
> >when fully charged and not in the camera? Placed somewhere safe where
> >its terminals cannot be shorted out. NB these batteries have very high
> >energy densities - enough to catch fire if shorted across the terminals
> >so you don't want to put it anywhere that would risk that!

> >> I get the overly-heavy run-down when not in use with a Sony DSC TX5.
> >> Was assuming it was just a quirk of the DSC-TXs.

> >It would be useful to name and shame some of the brands that have this
> >sort of annoying characteristic. Crashing a battery into the ground for
> >extended periods of time can even render it beyond recovery.

> >Quite a few cameras that take AA cells do not get on with rechargable
> >NiMH cells as the "undervoltage" protection trips out too early. And
> >most rechargables have a certain self disacharge rate some more rapid
> >than others. I have found NiMH not the greatest in this respect (if I
> >was being unkind I'd brand them "NeverReady") and I always carry a spare
> >set of secondary cells for my Pentax istD.

> >I do the same for all power hungry cameras (spare charged battery).
> >My first digicam a Kodak DC-120 ate batteries drawing nearly 2A peak a
> >set of fresh batteries would last only an hour or two on a bad day!
> >Things have improved a lot since then...

> To add to this, some cameras that take AA batteries have a setting insidesome
> menu where you tell the camera whether you are using rechargeable or regular
> Alkaline *AA

Just wanted to finish up this thread. I read the manual (guess I
should have done that at the start), and guess what? The battery life
is only 120 minutes. A good reason to go with something other that a
Sony Cybershot dsc-tx1, if you ask me.

Dom