Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon PowerShot SX40 HS

Canon PowerShot SX40 HS

DanP

On Friday, 13 April 2012 21:57:17 UTC+1, Pierre Jelenc wrote:
> In article <28833182.3.1334217899456.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vbvf19>,
> DanP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >You seem put off by a DSLR or micro four thirds size yet you are looking
> >at SX40. Sizewise they are pretty close yet the sensor performance in
> >low light is noticeable.

> I've been carrying a Lumix FZ 20 for years; they're about the same size.
>
> >If you buy the SX40 for the reasons you mentioned you will end up not using it.
> >At least look for a smaller camera with the same sensor size.

> According to dpreview.com, there aren't any with the new BSI-CMOS and
> image stabilization that also have the ISO range and the articulated LCD,
> both of which are what's missing from the FZ 20. On the other hand, the FZ
> 20 has a faster lens, F2.8 through the entire range; still that's not
> enough to compensate for its miserable low-light performance.

So you are happy with that size.

So you are happy with that size. Get a bigger sensor camera and a fast lens.

4 years ago I bought a Canon SX100, small and nice zoom. 2 years later I bought a Canon 500D and the SX100 is gathering dust. I have 3 lenses a 18-55mm IS, a 55-250mm IS and a 50mm f/1.8 which is my favourite and the smallest.

DanP

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Pierre Jelenc <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>(E-Mail Removed) (Pierre Jelenc) wrote:

>>>Weight and size. I want a camera I can carry with me all the time in a
>>>regular bag, together with my umbrella, my book, my sweater on occasion,
>>>etc.

>>I use, and would recommend, a Panasonic G3 with Panasonic 20mm f/1.7
>>and Olympus 45mm f/1.8 lenses. It is a light, compact system (Micro
>>Four Thirds) and has excellent image quality with 16 MP and low noise
>>up to ISO 1600. The results blow away anything you could obtain from
>>the Canon SX40 HS because of the much larger Four Thirds sensor.

> But it's a different kind of sensor as far as I can tell, so size is not
> enough to draw conclusions.

If you are happy with the size, go for the larger sensor.

> I cannot find test pictures of both models
> from the same reviewer. Do you know of any?

Go to dpreview,
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcg3/17
and compare to the Canon PowerShot SX230 HS (same BSI-CMOS
technology, same megapixels, same sensor size) and you'll see that
the G3 JPEGs at 6400 ISO roughly equal the SX230 JPEGs at 800.
That's 3 stops difference. If I wanted to shoot in low light
without flash and had to choose between those 2 ... (and no,
the SX40 HS will *not* be significantly better at high ISO,
that's a fact of the sensor size.)

Look at the feathers next to the clock at the lower right corner,
at the thread spools in the black box (center bottom) and at the
fur (straight above it under the KODAK Gray Scale).

Abd, just for kicks, add the Canon 5D Mark III JPEGs at ISO 25600
to the fray. Or the Nikon D800 at the same ISO. (Another 2
stops ...) Or the Nikon D4, which might even have another stop
up it's sleeves.

And that's "just" the out of camera JPEGs. Using RAW you can
get out even more with careful work and denoising.

And then notice that the lenses (an (FF equivalent) 40mm and an
FF 90mm) are over a stop faster than the wide angle of the SX40.
And over 3 stops faster than the tele end! So at "90mm" you'll
need to set your SX40 to ISO 800 --- and the G3 would need only
ISO 200 ...

The only thing you won't get as small and as easy with an
interchangeable lens camera is the 35x all in one zoom (by
physical, financial and weight constraints a huge compromise
everywhere), and you might not find the long end as cheap.
If that's important to your photograpy, well ...

-Wolfgang