Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > How can I MUTE ALL sounds on Windows 7 EXCEPT for music on CD player?

Reply
Thread Tools

How can I MUTE ALL sounds on Windows 7 EXCEPT for music on CD player?

 
 
Lee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-10-2012
Anyone know how to mute ALL sounds on Windows 7 EXCEPT for the music
on the CD player, preferably even being able to play videos muted
silently while still playing music on the CD player?

I was never able to find a way to do such on Windows XP using Windows
Media Player for playing music CD's, so I switched to using CDmax
software for playing music CD's, and just muted everything in the
Volume Controls except for the system's speakers & CD player.

But now that I've switched to Windows 7 on a new HP Pavilion PC, I
haven't been able to figure out any way to just play music CD's on the
CDmax player without having any other, intrusive sounds/noises
bothering & annoying me. I've already tried what would seem to be the
most obvious solutions, but somehow none of them have worked so far,
so any attempt(s) to help will be well-appreciated - thanks.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Paul
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-10-2012
Lee wrote:
> Anyone know how to mute ALL sounds on Windows 7 EXCEPT for the music
> on the CD player, preferably even being able to play videos muted
> silently while still playing music on the CD player?
>
> I was never able to find a way to do such on Windows XP using Windows
> Media Player for playing music CD's, so I switched to using CDmax
> software for playing music CD's, and just muted everything in the
> Volume Controls except for the system's speakers & CD player.
>
> But now that I've switched to Windows 7 on a new HP Pavilion PC, I
> haven't been able to figure out any way to just play music CD's on the
> CDmax player without having any other, intrusive sounds/noises
> bothering & annoying me. I've already tried what would seem to be the
> most obvious solutions, but somehow none of them have worked so far,
> so any attempt(s) to help will be well-appreciated - thanks.


Now, I haven't seen this on my Windows 7 laptop, but there are
pictures all over, of a "Volume Mixer" bundled with Windows 7.
It has a slider per application.

If Firefox was running, there would a slider for Firefox as well.

http://blog.nirsoft.net/wp-content/u...mixer_win7.png

http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/...10/image69.png

This site also promotes its own control software, which presumably
taps into the same API. The user comments note a few problems - the
sliders move, but the effect doesn't happen when it should. So
this is a third party, command line tool, to achieve the same
result. You should try the graphical version from Microsoft first
I think, if you can find it.

http://blog.nirsoft.net/2011/02/25/h...ws-72008vista/

Paul
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ragnar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-10-2012

"Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone know how to mute ALL sounds on Windows 7 EXCEPT for the music
> on the CD player, preferably even being able to play videos muted
> silently while still playing music on the CD player?
>


Why not choose the "No Sounds" scheme in Control Panel? (My knowledge is
based on Windows XP but I assume Windows 7 is similar).

Sorry if I have not understood your question correctly.

R.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jeff Strickland
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-11-2012

"Ragnar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:W8Sgr.148084$(E-Mail Removed)4...
>
> "Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Anyone know how to mute ALL sounds on Windows 7 EXCEPT for the music
>> on the CD player, preferably even being able to play videos muted
>> silently while still playing music on the CD player?
>>

>
> Why not choose the "No Sounds" scheme in Control Panel? (My knowledge is
> based on Windows XP but I assume Windows 7 is similar).
>
> Sorry if I have not understood your question correctly.
>
> R.
>
>


He wants sound for a single application, and muted for everything else.


 
Reply With Quote
 
- Bobb -
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-25-2012

"Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone know how to mute ALL sounds on Windows 7 EXCEPT for the music
> on the CD player, preferably even being able to play videos muted
> silently while still playing music on the CD player?
>
> I was never able to find a way to do such on Windows XP using Windows
> Media Player for playing music CD's, so I switched to using CDmax
> software for playing music CD's, and just muted everything in the
> Volume Controls except for the system's speakers & CD player.
>
> But now that I've switched to Windows 7 on a new HP Pavilion PC, I
> haven't been able to figure out any way to just play music CD's on the
> CDmax player without having any other, intrusive sounds/noises
> bothering & annoying me. I've already tried what would seem to be the
> most obvious solutions, but somehow none of them have worked so far,
> so any attempt(s) to help will be well-appreciated - thanks.

===================
Have to go about it the long way , but you end up with CD control in Volume.
Is this what you want?
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/...ntrol-win.html


 
Reply With Quote
 
tony sayer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-26-2012
In article <jn9nuv$9u8$(E-Mail Removed)>, - Bobb - <bobb@noemail.123>
scribeth thus
>
>"Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Anyone know how to mute ALL sounds on Windows 7 EXCEPT for the music
>> on the CD player, preferably even being able to play videos muted
>> silently while still playing music on the CD player?
>>
>> I was never able to find a way to do such on Windows XP using Windows
>> Media Player for playing music CD's, so I switched to using CDmax
>> software for playing music CD's, and just muted everything in the
>> Volume Controls except for the system's speakers & CD player.
>>
>> But now that I've switched to Windows 7 on a new HP Pavilion PC, I
>> haven't been able to figure out any way to just play music CD's on the
>> CDmax player without having any other, intrusive sounds/noises
>> bothering & annoying me. I've already tried what would seem to be the
>> most obvious solutions, but somehow none of them have worked so far,
>> so any attempt(s) to help will be well-appreciated - thanks.

>===================
>Have to go about it the long way , but you end up with CD control in Volume.
>Is this what you want?
>http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/...olume-control-
>win.html
>
>

Have you tried..

Start -> control panel -> sound -> select sounds, pull down the drop box
to "No Sounds" tick apply and close .. try that..

If that doesn't do what you want just reverse it...

You can "edit" that so some programs don't have sounds or you can select
different sounds or combinations thereof..

--
Tony Sayer



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: How include a large array? Edward A. Falk C Programming 1 04-04-2013 08:07 PM
Sounds from my laptop like water gurgling - strange comp sounds.wma (0/1) joevan Computer Support 16 06-29-2010 04:30 PM
try -> except -> else -> except? David House Python 2 07-06-2009 05:48 PM
who is simpler? try/except/else or try/except Fabio Z Tessitore Python 5 08-13-2007 12:52 AM
converting a nested try/except statement into try/except/else John Salerno Python 20 08-11-2006 02:48 PM



Advertisments