Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > OT? Facebook "Wall" Pix Downloadable?

OT? Facebook "Wall" Pix Downloadable?

(PeteCresswell)

I'm logged on as a Facebook user and I can see the thumbnails of
somebody's "Wall" photos.

But when I click on one it goes grey and throws a sort of
progress icon, but nothing further happens.

Is there any way to download the original photo?
--
Pete Cresswell

Fred McKenzie

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm logged on as a Facebook user and I can see the thumbnails of
> somebody's "Wall" photos.
>
> But when I click on one it goes grey and throws a sort of
> progress icon, but nothing further happens.
>
> Is there any way to download the original photo?

Pete-

I'm not a member, but a group I belong to is on Facebook.

I went to their Facebook web page and clicked on a wall picture at the
top of the screen. It took me to a page with several pictures, each of
which was a collection of more pictures. At one of the collections I
clicked on one of the pictures, and it came up in a larger size. At the
lower right corner of the picture was the word, Options. One of the
options was to download the picture.

It happened to be one of my photos, and the copy I downloaded was 3.1
megapixels. The original was 10 megapixels, so it had been downsized.
However that may be the best you can do.

Fred

(PeteCresswell)

Per Fred McKenzie:
>At one of the collections I
>clicked on one of the pictures, and it came up in a larger size. At the
>lower right corner of the picture was the word, Options. One of the
>options was to download the picture.

Thanks for the validation.

Sounds like that functionality is, at the moment, broken for me.
Guess I'll wait a few days and see what happens.
--
Pete Cresswell

Fred McKenzie

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Sounds like that functionality is, at the moment, broken for me.
> Guess I'll wait a few days and see what happens.

Pete-

You might also try a different web browser.

Fred

(PeteCresswell)

Per Fred McKenzie:

>You might also try a different web browser.

Tried Chrome 18.0.1025.152 m and IE 8.0.6001 - same results.

Anybody doing this successfully? Browser Name/Version?
--
Pete Cresswell

Bruce

"(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm logged on as a Facebook user and I can see the thumbnails of
>somebody's "Wall" photos.
>
>But when I click on one it goes grey and throws a sort of
>progress icon, but nothing further happens.
>
>Is there any way to download the original photo?

I suspect the person's account settings are preventing you from doing
that. I closed my Facebook account some time ago and there have been
several changes to privacy settings since then, so I cannot give you
more specific advice.

Perhaps you should send a message to the person and ask them to send
you a copy of the original image, then accept their decision? You
have absolutely no right to use other people's copyright images
without their specific permission in any case, even if they are
foolish enough to allow people to copy them from Facebook.

(PeteCresswell)

Per Bruce:
>Perhaps you should send a message to the person and ask them to send
>you a copy of the original image, then accept their decision? You
>have absolutely no right to use other people's copyright images
>without their specific permission in any case, even if they are
>foolish enough to allow people to copy them from Facebook.

He sent me the link in response to my request. FWIW, the pics
are of Yours Truly sailing his outrigger canoe and I wanted my
own copies.

The privacy settings angle rings true to me and I'm going to ping
him on it.

The problem link:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Extrem...9296676&type=3

or: http://tinyurl.com/7csokwv
--
Pete Cresswell

Bruce

"(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Per Bruce:
>>Perhaps you should send a message to the person and ask them to send
>>you a copy of the original image, then accept their decision? You
>>have absolutely no right to use other people's copyright images
>>without their specific permission in any case, even if they are
>>foolish enough to allow people to copy them from Facebook.

>He sent me the link in response to my request. FWIW, the pics
>are of Yours Truly sailing his outrigger canoe and I wanted my
>own copies.

They are his images, not yours. His copyright, not yours. You are
not legally entitled to any images made of you in a public space.

Bruce

>On 2012-04-11 06:23:44 -0700, Bruce <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>> "(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Per Bruce:
>>>
>>> He sent me the link in response to my request. FWIW, the pics
>>> are of Yours Truly sailing his outrigger canoe and I wanted my
>>> own copies.

>> They are his images, not yours. His copyright, not yours. You are
>> not legally entitled to any images made of you in a public space.

>However, It seems that the Facebook account holder, who placed these
>images out in public has technically waived his copyright.

The Facebook user has not waived his or her copyright, either
"technically" (whatever that means) or otherwise. It is a breach of
copyright to take and/or use images from the web unless the copyright
owner expressly permits it.

Common sense should tell you not to post anything online that you
don't want other people to copy or use, but placing files on a web
site is not in itself an invitation to take and/or use unless that is
specifically stated.

(PeteCresswell)

Per George Kerby:
>I opened the link to several pictures of a guy and guys on water. I take it
>that you are the guy with the red coat/jacket? I clicked on the upper left
>file and drug to my desktop. File 559074...270.jpg opens without any problem
>in Preview on a Mac using Safari.

That's the answer: user RCI..... worked for me too, now that I
know what to do.

I didn't mean to start a legal discussion. Trust me: this guy
*wants* me to have these pics. He just doesn't have the
technical savvy to just email them to me.
--
Pete Cresswell