Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Camera Suggestions Anyone?

Re: Camera Suggestions Anyone?

jim

I've never had anything but Canon cameras so my experience is quite limited.
But don't you guys think the Canon G1 X is a bit overpriced? A lot depends
on your answers (cause I'm still thinking of buying one of these cameras).

"chandler" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On Mar 23 2012 7:00 AM, chandler wrote:

> Some advice needed, please. I'm about 97% tourist and 3% photographer.
> Which is to say I like to carry a camera around, but mostly have no clue
> about what I am doing. I "upgraded" an old sd1000 a while ago with the
> Sony HX5V and it was an improvement in many ways. Longer wider lense.
> Faster. Nice display. It did a few tricks. Picture quality was a
> disappointment, though. Surprised me, given the better sensor on the
> sony. I didn't think I was an image nazi... So I'm looking for a
> replacement.
>
> Requirements: Small enough to put in a big loose pocket (cargo
> shorts/jacket) and able to take a decent photo if I choose to display a
> shot on the wall. Must be at least fast by point and shoot standards.
>
> My first thoughts were to go back to Canon. A G12 or something. Small
> enough with some nice features and good photos, but the speed seems really
> slow. My solution was to look at some mirrorless cameras, but a lot of
> these literally stretch the pocket requirement with a modest zoom lense
> attached.
>
> I thought about the the EPL3. A little big, but the lense options for
> micro four thirds is a plus. Don't know anything about sensor shift.
>
> I thought about GF3. Bigger still with the lens. No tilting LCD or
> hotshoe, but I can live with that. I had some hope when I saw a
> miraculously small zoom lens was being offered by Panasonic, but the
> reviews I have seen are not good.
>
> The new Nikon (J1?) is small enough, but I'm wondering how the smaller
> sensor and lens is going to affect photos.
>
> The NEX5N with lenses just look too big. Almost might as well be carrying
> a DSLR....
>
> Ideas, anyone? On these or other possibilities.
>
> Chandler
>
> -----

I know all other conversation has stopped. I may be too late and several
have died from over curiosity all ready. heads exploded from raw
unrelenting anticipation... Saw an EPL 1 with the 14-42 for $200 and
decided to try it out for size. Literally. If I like it I'll step up to
a mirrorless that's speedier and more up to date. Something like the G12,
Olympus xz-1 or Panasonic LX5 may be more in my wheelhouse if it becomes a
pita to haul around. TY all.

Chandler

David J Taylor

"jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jlnb4l$6rk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've never had anything but Canon cameras so my experience is quite
> limited. But don't you guys think the Canon G1 X is a bit overpriced? A
> lot depends on your answers (cause I'm still thinking of buying one of
> these cameras).

Either:

- it's high priced because they are recovering development costs

- they want to "distinguish" it from their lower-priced compacts

- making it expensive may make people people thing they are buying
something better

or a combination of all three. Likely, in good lighting conditions, you
would be hard-pressed to see a difference in the results from this camera
from one of Canon's better compact models.

If it's the ideal camera for you, perhaps the price doesn't matter too
much. I could live with it for some of my shots, but at other times I
would want a better viewfinder and more zoom, and the ability to change
lenses.

Cheers,
David

Fred McKenzie

In article <jlnb4l$6rk$(E-Mail Removed)>, "jim" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> I've never had anything but Canon cameras so my experience is quite limited.
> But don't you guys think the Canon G1 X is a bit overpriced? A lot depends
> on your answers (cause I'm still thinking of buying one of these cameras).

Jim-

I previously upgraded from a Canon SD400 to the G11. The SD400 was just
too small for my hands. Otherwise it may have been perfect for my
needs. The G11 has a better feel. It is heavier than I would have
liked, but I have gotten used to it.

The G1X is slightly heavier than the G11. I miss the G11's zoom range
and close focus. I think the SD400 had an edge there also. (On the
other hand, I remember when a camera came with a fixed 50mm lens!)

Considering that the old SD400 met most of my needs, something less than
the G1X would have been good enough. I agree it is over priced, but I
just had to have it!

Fred