Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Best way to capture QuickFlix ?

Re: Best way to capture QuickFlix ?

Me

On 7/04/2012 8:46 p.m., Richard wrote:

>> What devious wizardry is this 2 sub pixel thing of which you speak? I
>> have not come across this before.

> I will have to find the macro photos of my samsung I took on the slr,
> but basically the pixel is broken into 2 pieces, one twice the size of
> the other and if something is dim then only the small one lights up. It
> means that you get werid lines across some colours like kenny's jacket
> orange, windows title bar blue, marges hair blue, and many other things.
>
> I havent counted the pixels to see if it is really each of the 1080
> broken into 2 or if it is fudging it even more and only having 540 pairs
> of these dissimilar pixels.

OK - you've got me curious on this, so I got my macro lens out, and this
is the result:
http://i42.tinypic.com/2zxw8ja.jpg
Indeed each R, G, and B sub-pixel is split in half vertically, one half
"bright" the other half "dark". This an IPS panel, in a large LCD TV.
This is the result on a smaller Sony 40" TV. The "chevron" shaped sub
pixels are consistent with VA type panels rather than IPS, the panel
will be a Samsung panel made for Sony. Magnification ratio is about the
same in both images.
http://i43.tinypic.com/rtffh4.jpg
So both have bright and dark R, G, and B sub-pixel areas. On the
Samsung VA panel the "bright" sub(sub?)pixels are much smaller, and are
all in line.
The particular IPS panel "staggers" the bright/dark RGB subpixels,
presumably deliberately to reduce any horizontal banding.
I never really noticed horizontal lines with the Sony TV, perhaps it's
too small, perhaps it's just not significant, as anyway there's vertical
RGB lines at about the same scale, just like a trinitron CRT, and that
never bothered me even at reasonably close viewing distance. So it
would be interesting to see your macro shot of a perhaps a different
Samsung panel.
If there's enough brightness in horizontal lines, then I guess it can
bring up or accentuate moire patterns. There's usually a "sharpness"
control on better LCD panels and TVs, which increases micro-contrast,
much the same as "unsharp mask" in image processing. It's been set much
too high on every TV I've looked at. If you can display on the TV from
a PC and 1:1 pixel mapped, then there's a test image with instructions here:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/sharpness.php
Excessive sharpening will accentuate moire/aliasing.

Doesn't answer the question as to why there are bright and dark RGB
subpixels, and how they work. Are just they darker and lighter dyes in
the RGB matrix - or is there more to it than that?
My guess is that they're "passive" - just different dye on the matrix
(or perhaps a resistance added between the bright and dark areas), and
the reason is to compensate for non-linearity of response of liquid
crystal at the extremes of rotation.
I think you'll find that there are 1080 pairs of bright/dark pixels per
screen height, so at least that's not a "cheat".

> Wouldnt suprise me if its cheating since the bloody liers at samsung
> made a tv that cant even do 1080 3d and ends up downscaling in both
> directions when 3d is enabled. Still, with its total inability to not
> flicker or have crosstalk then 3d aint anything more than a waste of
> space on the remote.

3d isn't my cup of tea.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Me wrote:
[snip]
> 3d isn't my cup of tea.

Homer? Is that you?
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Me

On 9/04/2012 11:38 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Me wrote:
> [snip]
>> 3d isn't my cup of tea.

> Homer? Is that you?

I saw that episode.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Me wrote:
> On 9/04/2012 11:38 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Me wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> 3d isn't my cup of tea.

>> Homer? Is that you?
>>

> I saw that episode.

Heh! Yeah, it looked weird if you ask me.