Velocity Reviews > General Discussion > Front Page News > OCZ Vertex 4 Solid State Drive 512GB/256GB Launch

OCZ Vertex 4 Solid State Drive 512GB/256GB Launch

Becky Becky is offline
Administrator
Becky's Avatar

Hardware Heaven have published their review of the OCZ Vertex 4512GB/256GB Solid State Drives which launched today:

Quote:
"A few months ago we reviewed the OCZ Octane SSD. This was the first OCZ drive for a while to be powered by an Indilinx controller and was particularly interesting as it was the first collaboration between the two SSD giants since OCZ purchased the controller manufacturer.

Octane was a solid entry at a point towards the top end of the SSD market and proved that Indilinx were able to compete with the latest technology having essentially missed a generation of SSDs. That said in a number of scenarios OCZ's SandForce based Vertex 3 range of drives did offer better performance so there was still room for improvement. Some of that improvement arrived in the form of a firmware update for Octane which significantly increased aspects such as 4k results and truth be told it was one of the most impressive performance gains from a firmware we have seen to date.

Now OCZ (and Indilinx) are back with a new family of drives and are aiming to unseat the Vertex 3 at the top end of the SSD market. There is more than one way to build a performance SSD though and in addition to controllers from Indilinx and SandForce there are drives based on Samsung or Marvell technology, all looking to compete at the top end of the market. Today we have two of the new Vertex 4 drives on our test bench and will be comparing it in real world and synthetic test against drives based on the latest Sandforce, Marvell and Samsung controllers."
Read more here.