Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: HELP! Ping getting slower and slower and slower!

Re: HELP! Ping getting slower and slower and slower!

Paul

> I've been testing this afternoon and my pings are going from 12-14ms to 25 to 47 to 92ms over the past two hours acc to speedtest.net .
>
> I have HP Pavilion 6300F, Windows Vista, Optimum internet, and a Cisco Linksys E2500 wireless router.
>
> Please tell me what to check.
>
> -ChrisCoaster

You can try traceroute to some well known web server.
Do this in an MSDOS command prompt window (cmd.exe).

tracert www.altavista.com

My "first hop" registers as "<1ms" to my home router
Now, that's a good ping

The column headers are probably maxRTT, avgRTT, minRTT, but that
may not show up in any help file or man page. At least in this
GUI version of traceroute, they labeled the columns.

http://www.loriotpro.com/Products/On...MainScreen.jpg

*******

And by the way, in case you noticed that no one answered you, there has
been a network outage between Google Groups and the rest of USENET, for
several days. It just recovered within the last couple hours.

Another reason not to use Google Groups.

HTH,
Paul

ckozicki@snet.net

On Monday, April 2, 2012 8:21:12 PM UTC-4, Paul wrote:
> .net wrote:
> > I've been testing this afternoon and my pings are going from 12-14ms to 25 to 47 to 92ms over the past two hours acc to speedtest.net .
> >
> > I have HP Pavilion 6300F, Windows Vista, Optimum internet, and a Cisco Linksys E2500 wireless router.
> >
> > Please tell me what to check.
> >
> > -ChrisCoaster

> You can try traceroute to some well known web server.
> Do this in an MSDOS command prompt window (cmd.exe).
>
> tracert www.altavista.com
>
> My "first hop" registers as "<1ms" to my home router
> Now, that's a good ping
>
> The column headers are probably maxRTT, avgRTT, minRTT, but that
> may not show up in any help file or man page. At least in this
> GUI version of traceroute, they labeled the columns.
>
> http://www.loriotpro.com/Products/On...MainScreen.jpg
>
> *******
>
> And by the way, in case you noticed that no one answered you, there has
> been a network outage between Google Groups and the rest of USENET, for
> several days. It just recovered within the last couple hours.
>
> Another reason not to use Google Groups.
>
> HTH,
> Paul

_____________
Now you tell me! Actually it has been an eternity from posting to actually seeing my post on Google Groups 90% of the time. Guess that's just the price to pay for using an emulator.

Onto the main topic: my pinging.

What does this mean, Paul:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\Users\Chris>ping westin.com

Pinging westin.com [155.72.154.30] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 155.72.154.30:

C:\Users\Chris>

-ChrisCoaster

Paul

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Monday, April 2, 2012 8:21:12 PM UTC-4, Paul wrote:
>> .net wrote:
>>> I've been testing this afternoon and my pings are going from 12-14ms to 25 to 47 to 92ms over the past two hours acc to speedtest.net .
>>>
>>> I have HP Pavilion 6300F, Windows Vista, Optimum internet, and a Cisco Linksys E2500 wireless router.
>>>
>>> Please tell me what to check.
>>>
>>> -ChrisCoaster

>> You can try traceroute to some well known web server.
>> Do this in an MSDOS command prompt window (cmd.exe).
>>
>> tracert www.altavista.com
>>
>> My "first hop" registers as "<1ms" to my home router
>> Now, that's a good ping
>>
>> The column headers are probably maxRTT, avgRTT, minRTT, but that
>> may not show up in any help file or man page. At least in this
>> GUI version of traceroute, they labeled the columns.
>>
>> http://www.loriotpro.com/Products/On...MainScreen.jpg
>>
>> *******
>>
>> And by the way, in case you noticed that no one answered you, there has
>> been a network outage between Google Groups and the rest of USENET, for
>> several days. It just recovered within the last couple hours.
>>
>> Another reason not to use Google Groups.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Paul

> _____________
> Now you tell me! Actually it has been an eternity from posting to actually seeing my post on Google Groups 90% of the time. Guess that's just the price to pay for using an emulator.
>
> Onto the main topic: my pinging.
>
> What does this mean, Paul:
>
> Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
> Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
> C:\Users\Chris>ping westin.com
>
> Pinging westin.com [155.72.154.30] with 32 bytes of data:
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
>
> Ping statistics for 155.72.154.30:
> Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
>
> C:\Users\Chris>
>

> -ChrisCoaster

It means westin.com is not currently reachable, if you accepted
at face value, what the tool was telling you.

Sometimes, a major network outage, will deny you access to a
fraction of the Internet. With my ISP, that's happened twice,
and both times, it was on the weekend. Ping failed then.

OK, I'm not getting a response either, to westin.com .

So what I try next, is web browsing to www.westin.com or just
westin.com and that works. The URL also turns into
www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/index.html , implying
Westin was bought by some other group (perhaps keeping the Westin
brand name).

The fact the web site works, and ping does not, implies they've
just turned off "ping". In terms of the responses a server makes,
the "ICMP" set of responses is a separately controlled item. A
server does not have to answer to a "ping", and it is turned off
on many servers, for security reasons.

It means "ping" or "tracert", cannot be used to debug all networking problems.

The email server at my ISP, is set up that way. Turning off all
of ICMP, means there will be no "black hole detection", related
to the packets being the wrong size, if going to a site like that.
I had to change the MTU value (packet length) on my computer
in a bygone time, because I had a "black hole" problem. If I went
to send an email, and it was over 1K bytes, my email client would
sit there forever, in transmit. That's because, the TCP/IP protocol
stack at that moment, was in a deadlocked state. Normally, ICMP
would have sent a response back that my end could use to adjust
and retransmit. So turning off ICMP is not always a clever thing
to do.

You can turn off just the "8" response in the ICMP table here, or
turn off more of them. Ping won't work if you do, but other parts
of the protocol may continue to work (as my web browser proves).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interne...ssage_Protocol

"Type Code Description

8 Echo Request 0 Echo request (used to ping)"

HTH,
Paul